Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 10:46 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times

Advertisements

My take on this is he was suicidal some time ago, and he thought he could have some fun on his way out!

Call me crazy, but when someone this young kills himself, and saves the taxpayers decades of imprisonment costs $40-50k a year, (Death Row averages $2-3 MIllion), then we should give him an elaborate funeral, with thank-you notes pasted all over his coffin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 10:50 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
It is certainly possible that the bombings were politically motivated, intended to instill fear in opponents, and therefore terrorism. But the reasoning put forth, that because we call Islamist killers terrorists we must also call white men who kill terrorists to avoid being racist, is ridiculous. Make that argument and you might as well write, "kick me, I'm stupid" on a post-it and stick it on your ass.
You're articulating well why it is stupid to use the word "terrorist" for most of the people that we call terrorists.

If you want to label pretty much anyone that is Muslim or non-white American a "terrorist" when they do similar things (as is often done), then you give up any meaning of the word.

It is highlighting a double standard. But I know you're smart enough to know the argument here...it is not very complicated.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:53 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,470,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuca Racha View Post
I’m reading another article that says he drop the package in San Antonio. Someone here said it was dropped in Austin. I guess fake news are all over the place.

It just made no sense that a package from Austin to Austin would get sent to San Antonio.
Actually this DOES happen. My mail for in town regularly goes through a town 40 miles away. USPS.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:55 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
He certainly terrorized a community but whether or not he was a terrorist depends on his motivation. The definition of a terrosrist is "a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims." Those political aims are often motivated by religion, but not always. If the police are correct and he wasn't politically or religiously motivated, then no, he's not a terrorist.

By the way, I agree with one of the comments below the cartoon - those who make something about race that isn't about race at all are being racists themselves.
Highlighting a double standard of our society and media of how we view white bombers vs. bombers of other races makes me...racist?

Come on now...you can't really believe a ridiculous argument like that.

I'm white, by the way (A white male, no less! You know, the really persecuted category of society these days ). I have no issues with my "race".

I do find the double standard fascinating (and a bit gross), though.

And, for what it is worth, I think the definition is quite limiting - especially if you want to consider how it is used in general society. What does "in the pursuit of political aims" even mean? Obviously, I know what each of those specific words mean on their own - but what does it really mean, in practice? What is a "political aim", specifically?

Couldn't simply "instilling fear in Austin" been a political aim? And if no, why not?

Are we really arguing that only people wishing to enact specific political change through their terror can be labeled terrorists? Because that is not how the word is used, generally, in society.

###
I guess the crux of the matter is this: the definition of "terrorist" only seems to be an issue when it is a white guy. Then he's a "lone wolf". Or wasn't motivated by his religion or politics. But the definition of the word is loosely defined when it is anyone else.

This is the very definition of a double standard. And I'm not sure why it bothers some to have it brought up. Or why it is bothersome to some to use the word as we use it generally in society for white men, too.

I'm a white guy, and I have zero issue labeling this disgusting person a terrorist.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 03-22-2018 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-22-2018, 10:57 AM

267 posts, read 122,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
I'm going with Freedom Fighter!
Most likely how the bomber and some people out there feel.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuca Racha View Post
In Mexico Marco Antonio is a common name. Maybe he has Mexican heritage and was named after his grandfather or something like that.
Maybe the name is very common in many countries...

Old 03-22-2018, 11:01 AM

I’m going with murderous POS.

Last edited by tangelag; 03-22-2018 at 11:28 AM..

Old 03-22-2018, 11:07 AM

1,675 posts, read 576,504 times
I don't think the bombing were racial motivated but I looked into it and found interesting info.

1. Both House and the slain teenager are relatives of prominent members of Austin's African-American community. CNN
2. Families of two people killed by package bombs left on their doorsteps in Austin knew each other and were connected through local activism in the black community, a civic leader said Tuesday. AP

Middle class blacks, activism, uh, Political motivated maybe? Another thing is that the police is saying the perpetrator wasn't a terrorist, but just "disturbed". I think they are liars, and won't tell the real reason. Just like they immediately call muslims terrorists, while purposely hiding the fact than in most cases they are offered a lot of money and help to carry such acts.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:11 AM

15,526 posts, read 10,495,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
"...Odd that a child raised by a devout evangelical Christian family turns so violent and hateful. What did they mean by "walking away from his faith?"
One can only wonder if, under the guise of righteousness, fundamentalists plant a seed of intolerance and hatred in their children. "

One less homeschooled knucklehead to breed. (And you know he would have; these types are willfully ignorant of contraception.)
Good grief, let's not blame all homeschooled children. My kids went to both public and private schools. However, in today's world, there's no way I'd send my kids to public school. If I couldn't afford private schools, darn straight they would be homeschooled. An old friend of the murderer is now a journalist in Dallas. He was homeschooled and successful. He is also trying to figure out what the hell went wrong.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:15 AM

267 posts, read 122,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I do find the double standard fascinating (and a bit gross), though.

The bomber inconvenienced the people of Austin, package delivery workers etc. However let’s look at his life and realize he had it much tougher than his victims. The young man had a rough childhood so let’s not call him a terrorist or a racist. He’s was still a baby who didn’t know what he is doing. If anyone lost a limb, they can get a prosthetic leg. If they died, well they could have also died in a car accident. Let’s just focus on the fact that he was a tormented kid and all the people who knew him thought he was a nice kid. The Austin police who always tells the truth says he wasn’t racially motivated.

Remember when the Austin police told the media they believed the first victim had built the first bomb and blew himself up by accident? Such a competent group. The victim probably looked like one of those people who like violence not like our good ol little boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies