Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 11:11 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I was replying to one of your liberal friends who implied home-schooled kids were nothing but a bunch of slack-jawed idiots because they didn't get a proper public school indoctrination. He also said "graduating from college did not make one smart..." If graduating from college doesn't make you smart, like he implied, why the h-ll all the fuss from liberals about giving them a dose of college indoctrination for free?
He was simply stating the well known fact that correlation does not necessarily equal causation. However, it is also an equally well known fact that in most cases, a higher education results in a higher performing society.

I'm not liberal nor conservative, however, I wonder when did it become fashionable in middle America to discourage higher education? America and Americans used to lead the world in science, in engineering, in architecture, in education, in manufacturing, and so many other fields, and by the dismissal of education it has started a slow, steady decline, and the sad part is, there are many Americans who are actually proud of that.

As I stated before, how backward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 11:21 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,092,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
He was simply stating the well known fact that correlation does not necessarily equal causation. However, it is also an equally well known fact that in most cases, a higher education results in a higher performing society.

I'm not liberal nor conservative, however, I wonder when did it become fashionable in middle America to discourage higher education? America and Americans used to lead the world in science, in engineering, in architecture, in education, in manufacturing, and so many other fields, and by the dismissal of education it has started a slow, steady decline, and the sad part is, there are many Americans who are actually proud of that.

Oh...so much to respond to here. I have to hit the sack now...perhaps tomorrow...

Old 03-22-2018, 11:34 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Package Bombs That Killed 2 People in Austin Are Linked | Time

Letter bombs are a decades old device.

I shudder that we are back to this again, I got my introduction in the 70s, but it appears we are.

Be aware.
You got your introduction in the 70's, are you referring to Bill Ayers the founders of the Weather Underground, a radical leftist organization formed in 1969 who bombed the NYPD, the Capitol building, the pentagon and San Fran police station?

Old 03-23-2018, 06:25 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,092,829 times
Quote:

I'm not liberal nor conservative, however,

Let me guess. A "never Trump" pro-gay marriage, pro-abortion, anti 2nd Amendment, open borders "conservative", am I right?

I'm seeing more of this now. This is a new tactic of the left: the Ana Navaro, Bret Stephens "conservatives" who are as conservative as I am part monkey, are now being used by the networks to sort of manipulate the masses into thinking their thinking is true conservatism. I digress..

Quote:
I wonder when did it become fashionable in middle America to discourage higher education? America and Americans used to lead the world in science, in engineering, in architecture, in education, in manufacturing, and so many other fields, and by the dismissal of education it has started a slow, steady decline, and the sad part is, there are many Americans who are actually proud of that.

I don't think anyone is "proud" that our higher educational institutions are indoctrination factories filled with Trotskyites, but that is what it has come to.

The reasons middle-America has become skeptical about higher education aren't that hard to figure out.

When the Ivies, for example, openly boast how they don't even seek out or want those of the Caucasian extraction, even though every Ivy League school was founded by white Protestants, that's a problem. To say nothing of all the schools outside the Ivies.

There are a plethora of "blue collar" trades that pay fantastic wages - plumbers, welders, machinists, mechanics and so on - that are not being filled.

Children are being riddled with debt for degrees that don't amount to much.

There are various reasons for what you perceive to be hostility towards college institutions, but I guess that's better left for another, more fitting thread.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:39 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,370,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Deep conservative evangelical Christian bombing "blue areas" in a red state. Seems ideologically based to me also.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...h-around-edges
He wasn't a deep conservative evangelical though. Those same sources you're using also contain the key phrase stating he is not overly political. That doesn't fit the narrative thought, so ignore it. The "blue areas" in a red state is nonsense. He lived in the Austin area, period. Now, if he had lived outside of a metro area, and deliberately traveled there to commit attacks, that would be one thing. However, he was a local.

People jumping through hoops to make this fit some sort of dig on conservatives is laughable.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:51 AM

603 posts, read 445,827 times
Quote:
Anita Ward, a nurse at Austin Med Spa, said FBI agents and Austin police told her Tuesday morning that her daughter, who also works at the spa in downtown Austin, was to be the recipient of the unexploded bomb at a FedEx sorting facility at 4117 McKinney Falls Parkway near Austin-Bergstrom International Airport.

Ward and her daughter are white.
https://www.statesman.com/news/local...RhFdJkbF2ScOI/

Old 03-23-2018, 07:34 AM

603 posts, read 445,827 times
Also, one of the bomber's roommates is black.

Mom: Austin bomber's black roommate held until suspect found - Herald-Whig -

Old 03-23-2018, 09:26 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Well...the guy in Tampa was a terrorist in my opinion. I also think you are wrong in your belief that terrorism is simply about influencing an ideology or political belief. One can simply be motivated by an ideology to the degree of hate and commit acts simply out of hate and not some attempt to change the other guys beliefs or ideology. If you hate a race of people and go out targeting and killing them, not saying that is what this guy did, that is terrorism even if the perpetrator did no believe his actions would change anything.
It is not a belief.

It is the LEGAL DEFINITION of terrorism.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2331

Take it up with Congress if you don't like it. Don't blame the person who is using the legal definition correctly.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:06 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
It is not a belief.

It is the LEGAL DEFINITION of terrorism.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2331

Take it up with Congress if you don't like it. Don't blame the person who is using the legal definition correctly.

Change the defining language and we have a winner.
No wonder the government wants us as ignorant as possible.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:27 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Let me guess. A "never Trump" pro-gay marriage, pro-abortion, anti 2nd Amendment, open borders "conservative", am I right?
Being conservative has nothing to do with supporting the most dysfunctional individual ever to sit as POTUS, and who is doing dishonor to that position. Yes, I don't give a rat's behind who loves who, it doesn't affect me or anyone else but those involved. Why would it bother you? I can argue both sides of the abortion issue, depending on the day. I probably own more guns than most on here, but I don't believe in everything goes. After all the 2A states "a well regulated militia". I have no problem with "a well regulation" coming into force, such as licensing of WHO owns the gun, required training (that is a well regulated keystone) and constraints on some types of accessories such as magazine limits (goes with the well regulated part). I heavily endorse safe storage laws.

Open borders? What country would want that? But I also think that children brought over illegally, who grew up here, and are not felons, should have a path to citizenship. That is just being compassionate.

Let me guess, alt-right types are your heroes, right?

Quote:
I'm seeing more of this now. This is a new tactic of the left: the Ana Navaro, Bret Stephens "conservatives" who are as conservative as I am part monkey, are now being used by the networks to sort of manipulate the masses into thinking their thinking is true conservatism. I digress..
Not many monkeys we share our DNA with, but we sure do share a lot of it with some of the other great apes.

Quote:
I don't think anyone is "proud" that our higher educational institutions are indoctrination factories filled with Trotskyites, but that is what it has come to.
Just a bit of hyperbole; try breathing a bit slower.

Quote:
The reasons middle-America has become skeptical about higher education aren't that hard to figure out.

When the Ivies, for example, openly boast how they don't even seek out or want those of the Caucasian extraction, even though every Ivy League school was founded by white Protestants, that's a problem. To say nothing of all the schools outside the Ivies.
Who gives a rat's behind that any institution was founded by "white Protestants"? What kind of dog whistle expression is that? What does it matter the race of a person? I want the most qualified in a university, or at a place of work. I don't care the color, age, sex, sexual orientation or religion. Yeah, I'll even hire a young earth creationist fundamentalist religious lunatic, if they keep that garbage out of my company, and they are otherwise competent to do the job they are hired for. Of course, they'll have to share a workspace with that homosexual Asian, and that Muslim from Syria, and that atheist from Austin.

Quote:
There are a plethora of "blue collar" trades that pay fantastic wages - plumbers, welders, machinists, mechanics and so on - that are not being filled.
Agreed, and other developed countries have excellent apprenticeship programs. How come no one, at the State or Federal level, is pushing for that here? Why?

Quote:
Children are being riddled with debt for degrees that don't amount to much.
Then they need better counselling from their parents. My son-in-law took a philosophy of art major. Useless right? Then he got his Masters in environmental planning, and now is the deputy head of my States Parks programs. On the side, he produces some great art, which he then prints a limited edition prints from, and sells them to his fans. He paid of his student loan some 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies