Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 05:23 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Socialized healthcare is GREAT!

It has saved me tens if not hundreds of thousands of $ compared to a US system. And has given me and relatives world class service and treatments!

I have NO fear of getting sick or anybody else I know, because I know our Socialized healthcare will help them, no matter what costs or treatments.

Right now a elderly relative is using pills that costs $800 each day, to fight his cancer. As are hundreds of others.. And medications here are FAR FAR cheaper then the US, because we have collective bargaining power!

Socialized healthcare is GREAT!!

"It has saved me tens if not hundreds of thousands of $ compared to a US system."

Did you take into account the TAXES you paid to get the "free" care?

I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 05:34 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"It has saved me tens if not hundreds of thousands of $ compared to a US system."

I doubt it.
It still costs less, even medicare in the US is charges less at hospitals than those whoi are insured. Those who don't have insurance or medicare being charged the most. Other countries pay far less for heathcare than the US.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:41 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
In Social Democratic 1st world nations, somebody is paying the bills. The individual, corporations and VAT.

And they are "paying" half of what the US does, get better results, healthier citizens and NO medical bankruptcies.

In the US, tens of millions don´t have insurance, hundreds of thousands are filing for medical bankruptcy each year, and tens of thousands are dying each year because they dont have access to healthcare.
They are not paying half, have you actually looked at the corporate and individual tax rates for the Netherlands , for instance ?
Sales tax on a car would be 21%, it's 6% here in MI.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:45 AM

8,386 posts, read 4,372,592 times
There are too many factors to place the blame on just one of them.

I am sure if you search the world for failures that should not happen, you can find at least one for what ever cause you happen to like or dislike.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:47 AM

1,705 posts, read 538,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

I doubt it.

My healthcare is free*

* Paid for by me, everybody else in my country, corporations, VAT, and a multitude of other taxes.

( And STILL its half the cost pr person compared to the US... and better! )

Old 10-27-2018, 06:55 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,776,811 times
Medicare for all isn’t socialized medicine. The hospitals and everything else within the system are privately run.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:07 AM

1,330 posts, read 699,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If this is truly the case then you're lower income and someone else has been paying more than their expected costs to cover for you.

Either that or you're not recognizing where you're being charged implicitly.

I'm not even against a single payer system in the US, but people need to be "eyes wide open" about how nothing is free.
Of course nothing is free. The difference is that one is paid mainly as a direct cost via employers and via deduction on your paycheck to a 3rd party for-profit corporation and the other is a deduction on your paycheck via taxes to a non-profit insurance company.

The people up in arms about this don't see that it's just changing out one for another, ideally removing the profit motive and increasing the user base size enough to enact economics of scale to drive down prices.

Last edited by illinoisphotographer; 10-27-2018 at 08:35 AM..

Old 10-27-2018, 07:16 AM

1,705 posts, read 538,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Of course nothing is free. The difference is that one is paid mainly as a direct cost via employers and via deduction on your paycheck to a 3rd party for-profit corporation and the other is a deduction on your paycheck via taxes to a non-profit insurance company.

The people up in arms about this don't see that it's just chaining out one for another, ideally removing the profit motive and increasing the user base size enough to enact economics of scale to drive down prices.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:06 AM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Medicare for all isn’t socialized medicine. The hospitals and everything else within the system are privately run.
Hahaha right.
the guv dicates everything "within the system", saying they are privately owned means little in practice.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:07 AM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post

The people up in arms about this don't see that it's just changing out one for another, ideally removing the profit motive and increasing the user base size enough to enact economics of scale to drive down prices.
whats the motive to improve services if you remove the profit? Let us know when you forgo your own salary to help others out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies