Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2019, 03:45 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
Well, he is very popular in Israel, for example. A town in the North was named after him recently, Ramat Trump.

In France, which is typically not fond of the US, Donald Trump is very popular among a segment of the population - this segment is a minority, but not a small one. This is new for US President there.
Very popular in Israel? No, not really. Maybe about as popular as Bibi, who just tried and failed to form a new government and is facing possible ouster later this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 04:43 PM

926 posts, read 417,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Very popular in Israel? No, not really. Maybe about as popular as Bibi, who just tried and failed to form a new government and is facing possible ouster later this year.
No, the two can't be compared. Netanyahu is disliked by a lot of people (about half of the population, I would say). Trump is generally well-liked by all sectors of the population. I voted for Kahol Lavan in April, planning to do the same in September, not a big fan of Netanyahu and I like Trump.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:57 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
No, the two can't be compared. Netanyahu is disliked by a lot of people (about half of the population, I would say). Trump is generally well-liked by all sectors of the population. I voted for Kahol Lavan in April, planning to do the same in September, not a big fan of Netanyahu and I like Trump.

60% of Americans Disapprove of Trump

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/poli...511723612.html

Old 06-24-2019, 05:00 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
As the libs try to figure out Trump and are becoming increasingly deranged they prove the premise. The Trump base runs in the background untouched by the lamestream media and the imitation wonks in print media as well. The major failure of conservatism so far is our failure to put arch constitutionalists/patriots in the educational pipeline in the 60's when leftist nut cases were everywhere. They have now harvested a crop of witless snowflakes who are twisted in every way. Eco freaks and tree huggers who get a sense of worth from recycling, rather than understanding the brilliance of our founding fathers and the constitution. As the USA was setup to prosper with self sustaining capitalist citizens who don't need to rely on government, it's probably not going to end well.
Posts like this are a classic example of the Dunning–Kruger effect. OP has absolutely no clue what liberals really think, but he believes he/they do, so he assumes he's correct and projects his actual (but unrealized) ignorance onto the liberals themselves.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:00 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Well, he is very popular in Israel, for example. A town in the North was named after him recently, Ramat Trump.

In France, which is typically not fond of the US, Donald Trump is very popular among a segment of the population - this segment is a minority, but not a small one. This is new for US President there.
There has been a rise in the alt-right nationalist types all over the world. For "that segment of the population, Trump is their poster child. No doubt there has been a rise in nationalist and anti-immigrant sentiments, and those inclined have been emboldened by Trump and other more alt-right leaders in many countries. I'm not sure, however, this isn't another example of how the exceptions don't make the rule. The rule is that Trump is generally not very well respected by people in most the countries we consider our allies.

Still, there is always that alternative contingent, just like here in America...

Europe and right-wing nationalism: A country-by-country guide

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36130006

For better or worse? To more or less an extent? TBD...

As for Trump popularity in Israel. After Trump's unilateral declares Jerusalem the capital of Israel?

He only got a town named after him?

Old 06-25-2019, 09:10 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Posts like this are a classic example of the Dunning–Kruger effect. OP has absolutely no clue what liberals really think, but he believes he/they do, so he assumes he's correct and projects his actual (but unrealized) ignorance onto the liberals themselves.
I have read many characterizations of my threads and/or comments, and this one too just makes me laugh...

Sure seems to me that all too many people take this forum all too seriously, but for me personally, I'm hardly trying to do much other than express my opinion, my take on things, and back up the likes with as much justification I can. "Compare notes" with others to whatever extent that may prove possible and productive. I do the best I can with what time I'm willing to waste here.

I have more than just a "clue" as to what liberals think. Certainly better than most conservatives seem able to articulate, but I'm not really doing other than expressing my personal opinion that more often than not seems to better align with liberals over conservatives. Make whatever of that you wish.

I suspect we could all do better with far less "projection," and a bit more intelligent response that might further the discussion rather than dumb it down. Possible? At least try to keep the emotions and insults in check, and if you don't agree with my opinion, ignorance or whatever I project, how about something a bit more specific as to why?

That all that hard for you to do?

Old 06-25-2019, 09:36 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
I was responding to Vf6cruiser's OP, not yours.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:42 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
I said he was more popular than previous US presidents, and so, for a US President he is popular. That doesn't mean that most people like him.
He is known for the wrong reasons. Now, I need your answer. Why do you love Trump so much? I have to ask because from my view, I see nothing lovable about him.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:45 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
He is known for the wrong reasons. Now, I need your answer. Why do you love Trump so much? I have to ask because from my view, I see nothing lovable about him.
Most people love Trump because he legitimizes their bigotry.

A lot of people jump to the racism, but I think anti-LGBT backlash and anti-secular sentiment are much bigger reasons Trump has remained so popular.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:04 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Most people love Trump because he legitimizes their bigotry.

A lot of people jump to the racism, but I think anti-LGBT backlash and anti-secular sentiment are much bigger reasons Trump has remained so popular.
Zealous Trump supporters love him because he legitimizes how they feel. However, there are many people who aren't zealous, who will say things like "he means well" or "give him time and he'll get better".

One thing I found ironic is that there are some LGBT and irreligious persons becoming more pro-Trump. In fact, there another pattern I've found. There are VERY FEW Black people who would support Trump. Most of the one's I've heard of are youtubers. Many of those Black Trump supporters (or at least those who seem okay with him) don't identify with any religion. I know of one that makes fun of the Black church.

I do think racist attitudes and being anti-LGBT can play a role. However, I also notice that a big factor is the "say whatever you think" mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies