Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 08:19 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I would hope she would have been fired.
Yah it is weird. No context to this story. Personally I had a moment of silence which I suggested the kids do whatever they thought helpful to unload things from their minds and prepare for the lesson ahead. Wonder what the context is/was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 08:25 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
When I went to grade school, we said the Lords Prayer in public school every morning. Nobody thought anything of it, but I remember thinking it wasn’t fair to the Jewish kids, and also it clearly defined who was Catholic and who was Protestant, which was nobody business. Even as a young child I knew that public prayer in school was wrong. Of course, as long as there are tests, there will be silent prayer.
When I went to Catholic high school there were Jewish students who were told they were not expected to pray with us but could take a moment of silence or say their own prayer to themselves. They were also offered the option of going to study hall instead of Mass.

My buddies who were Jewish went to Mass instead of study hall.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
When I went to Catholic high school there were Jewish students who were told they were not expected to pray with us but could take a moment of silence or say their own prayer to themselves. They were also offered the option of going to study hall instead of Mass.

It is a Catholic High School so they do what they do. But this is a No Go for public. Talk about being "other".

Old 08-27-2019, 08:42 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:

Did they get Communion at Mass?

That would be a violation of Judaism and Catholicism (I know the latter for sure). Wouldn't that put a tear in the space-time continuum essentially destroying the universe?

Old 08-27-2019, 09:16 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I think private school is a wonderful opportunity for those who can afford it. But the benefit of an educated populace is not just the individual who are so educated. Of course.
Compare the taxation involved in running govt schools and private tutition is typically cheaper, add to the fact that private school is made even more expensive because your compulsory system forces parents to pay twice. And since the state dictates curriculum requirements, private schools aren't all that private, even more so where vouchers are concerned. Private should be private, no political dictates and no tax dollars.

Quote:
Since there is no education that promotes becoming LGBTQ, I see no problem with an education that promotes harmony in schools including not being a bigot as it tends to produce difficult learning environments. And you can keep your judgement about deviancy to yourself. This is a Good Thing. Nor should anyone highlight your intellectual deviancy with your religion bound thinking.
Its great you see no problem with spending scarce resources on harmony skills at the expense of math, science, history, critical thinking,etc., but some do, just as you see a religious training/thinking an anathema. Personally I religious and statist models (which are more or less the same) incredibly destructive to education.
But thank you for helping to illustrate why education is not a one size fits all proposition.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:41 AM

8,155 posts, read 3,682,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Compare the taxation involved in running govt schools and private tutition is typically cheaper, add to the fact that private school is made even more expensive because your compulsory system forces parents to pay twice. And since the state dictates curriculum requirements, private schools aren't all that private, even more so where vouchers are concerned. Private should be private, no political dictates and no tax dollars.

Its great you see no problem with spending scarce resources on harmony skills at the expense of math, science, history, critical thinking,etc., but some do, just as you see a religious training/thinking an anathema. Personally I religious and statist models (which are more or less the same) incredibly destructive to education.
But thank you for helping to illustrate why education is not a one size fits all proposition.

No. The top private schools in my area are 25k+ (probably 30k+ at this point) a year. While it is cheaper in the lower tiers (but still expensive), those schools are not at the level of my public school district for the most part.

Also, the problem with the vouchers is this: what if somebody that didn't pay into the public system (by getting vouchers) at some point decides to switch their kids to public schools. Yes, they would start paying at this point, but that does no cover the expense. See, I paid school property taxes for many years before I had kids. We pay a lot per year, but that still would not cover the yearly education expense.

Lastly, about vouchers again, I'm sure if those are introduced here, say up to 15k a year, the above tuition will miraculously grow to 40k...

Old 08-27-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I wonder what your thoughts are on the societal benefits of an educated electorate? Personally, I think school choice is a topic that is under examined.

Quote:
Its great you see no problem with spending scarce resources on harmony skills at the expense of math, science, history, critical thinking,etc.,
Well no. That is not what I said. Harmony is a REQUIREMENT of having that many people in a space.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:57 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Probably best if the government were to blow uo all religious symbols. We can't take the risk that some atheist might see a religious symbol and completely fall apart.
Yikes, that's a tad extreme ya think? How about religion is practiced at home but the history of all religions are taught in school. You can't practice one religion and disregard all others in schools. We are a diverse country, with diverse religions. Maybe all should be respected, as well as all atheists

Old 08-27-2019, 10:38 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
It is a Catholic High School so they do what they do. But this is a No Go for public. Talk about being "other".
I guess you missed the post I had quoted that I was responding to, in an effort to explain that my Catholic school seemed to have handled it well compared to some public schools back in the day.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I guess you missed the post I had quoted that I was responding to, in an effort to explain that my Catholic school seemed to have handled it well compared to some public schools back in the day.
Oh yes. I agree. I was not disagreeing with you. Sorry for presenting it as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies