U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-11-2019, 01:54 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
12,442 posts, read 4,255,802 times
Reputation: 7701

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I am never embarrassed by tipping someone. Its our system. Go to a country without that any you pay more for the product.
Most countries have tipping however it's usually restricted to upmarket restaurants that don't have a service charge, upmarket hotels or occasionally a few professions such as you may tell a taxi driver or hairdresser to keep the change or give a tip to a hotel porter that has carried your bags.

However you wouldn't tip a barman, a chain restaurant or hotel or any other professions, and workers in many countries already receive a compulsory minimum wage and many establishments have a service charge already included in the price.

Tipping is not really a big thing outside the US, and if you don't leave a tip in most countries such as the UK, nobody would dare say a word to you.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-11-2019 at 02:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2019, 02:35 AM
 
Location: Out West
23,176 posts, read 17,136,370 times
Reputation: 26833
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Practically everyone I meet who is visiting the U.S. from another country has the same complaint, and sometimes horror stories, about tipping. It's strange enough that prices listed in the U.S. almost never include sales tax, and even stranger when tipping is factored into the equation so that the total price is 20-35% higher than the listed price. Nowadays you are expected to tip for your taxi ride, your morning coffee, who knows what else. A couple I met from Australia the other day told me about how a bar kicked them out for tipping "only" $8 on a round of drinks that that bar said were supposed to warrant a $12 tip.
What is it with people lately trying to take money out of the hands of people who work hard for it?

No one kicked anyone out of a bar for only tipping $8, that's bs.

If you don't want to tip, don't go to restaurants, take cabs/ubers, don't go to the bar, etc.

European countries include sales tax in the price, but the problem is, they never really know just how much tax they are actually paying. I've worked in tourism - I've heard it all before. And that was the answer I gave them. At least here, you know what percent is sales tax.

We are not Europe. We are not Australia. If you want to live that way, then go to Europe or Australia.

The people who work for tips need those tips. It is not always the case that they get ripped off - it depends on what state you live in. When I lived in WA, I got my min wage and my tips - none of my wages came out of my tips. I was able to make a nice extra amount by working in a bar 3 nights a week, in addition to my 40 hr a week job and my weekend day job.

If you're too cheap to tip, don't go where you know people work for tips. Stop trying to take money from people - this is the second thread on here where someone, who has apparently never done the work they are complaining about, is cheering that those who work those jobs won't get as much money because they think it's a "bad thing". No, it's not.

Leave sh alone. Quit messing with it. You learn how to work around it and gain more than you would have if people who think independent contractors and those who work for tips shouldn't get to be independent contractors or get tips.

Go do your job, leave everyone else alone. All this is doing is messing with people's livelihoods. Leave them alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 02:51 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
12,442 posts, read 4,255,802 times
Reputation: 7701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What is it with people lately trying to take money out of the hands of people who work hard for it?

No one kicked anyone out of a bar for only tipping $8, that's bs.

If you don't want to tip, don't go to restaurants, take cabs/ubers, don't go to the bar, etc.

European countries include sales tax in the price, but the problem is, they never really know just how much tax they are actually paying. I've worked in tourism - I've heard it all before. And that was the answer I gave them. At least here, you know what percent is sales tax.

We are not Europe. We are not Australia. If you want to live that way, then go to Europe or Australia.

The people who work for tips need those tips. It is not always the case that they get ripped off - it depends on what state you live in. When I lived in WA, I got my min wage and my tips - none of my wages came out of my tips. I was able to make a nice extra amount by working in a bar 3 nights a week, in addition to my 40 hr a week job and my weekend day job.

If you're too cheap to tip, don't go where you know people work for tips. Stop trying to take money from people - this is the second thread on here where someone, who has apparently never done the work they are complaining about, is cheering that those who work those jobs won't get as much money because they think it's a "bad thing". No, it's not.

Leave sh alone. Quit messing with it. You learn how to work around it and gain more than you would have if people who think independent contractors and those who work for tips shouldn't get to be independent contractors or get tips.

Go do your job, leave everyone else alone. All this is doing is messing with people's livelihoods. Leave them alone.
Sales Tax known as VAT in the UK is included in the price of goods before you buy them.

It should be noted that a lot of essential goods and services are VAT exempt or reduced rate.

VAT rates on different goods and services - GOV.UK


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 03:10 AM
 
Location: the Sticks
9,386 posts, read 2,653,390 times
Reputation: 4999
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Bullcrap-


We tip minimum 30%- usually more. My wife tipped 50% last night after dinner.


These are working people who are busting their butts to make ends meet. Have some appreciation and sympathy.


Being in a service job like that would suck, as the employee has to be nice, even to jerks. Would you want their job? Try to be a little bright part of their day with a random act of kindness. It is infectious.
That is some serious tipping.

Ok a waiter or waitress might spend a total of 15 to 20 minutes waiting on you. I think that is being generous the time is much lower, but let's go with 15 minutes or 1/4 hour.

You have a bill of $50. You would tip between $15 and $20 for 15 minutes of work. So you believe that a waiter or waitress is worthy of $60 to $80 bucks an hour?

Me I tip 15 to 20% for good service. For bad service 10% to nothing.

Im not cheap, I am a realist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 03:23 AM
 
Location: England
25,466 posts, read 6,338,120 times
Reputation: 30686
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
That is some serious tipping.

Ok a waiter or waitress might spend a total of 15 to 20 minutes waiting on you. I think that is being generous the time is much lower, but let's go with 15 minutes or 1/4 hour.

You have a bill of $50. You would tip between $15 and $20 for 15 minutes of work. So you believe that a waiter or waitress is worthy of $60 to $80 bucks an hour?

Me I tip 15 to 20% for good service. For bad service 10% to nothing.

Im not cheap, I am a realist.
These tipping threads always go the same way. Folks posting about their generous tipping habits. I find this mentality very strange as an outsider looking in. Folks wanting to boast of how generous they are, handing over their hard earned money to strangers.

Others terrified of being thought of as 'cheap.' When we visit America, I have been inside a Wal-Mart. I was fascinated by a thing they had at the checkout with hooks on it to hang the plastic store bags. The checkout girl placed all our purchases in bags, and we lifted them off the hooks. In England, we pack our own goods at checkout, and always have done.

I was wondering, why don't Americans tip for this packing service? They don't because, well, that's what the checkout girl does as part of her job. Then why do they feel they have to hand money over to someone placing a plate of food in front of them, that they are paying for? The one that really drives me crazy is drink servers in bars expecting a tip for serving drinks. That's their job isn't it - to serve drinks? Why do they expect the customer to pay for them doing their job? Nobody in an English bar expects to be paid for doing their job. Their employer pays them to serve drinks, and they do so.

It's just nuts. But it is so ingrained in American culture, that folks who want tipping stopping, and making the employer pay the wages, just get called cheap. It's just a way of shutting them up, and it's disgraceful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 03:38 AM
 
Location: Just over the horizon
8,386 posts, read 2,882,207 times
Reputation: 4544
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
That is some serious tipping.

Ok a waiter or waitress might spend a total of 15 to 20 minutes waiting on you. I think that is being generous the time is much lower, but let's go with 15 minutes or 1/4 hour.

You have a bill of $50. You would tip between $15 and $20 for 15 minutes of work. So you believe that a waiter or waitress is worthy of $60 to $80 bucks an hour?

Me I tip 15 to 20% for good service. For bad service 10% to nothing.

Im not cheap, I am a realist.


This.


I don't always tip on a percentage of the bill.

It doesn't make sense, even at 20%.

If I have a $10.00 burger, a $2.00 tip seems inadequate.

If I have a $50.00 meal, a $10.00 tip seems excessive.

The server doesn't really do any more or less for one meal vs the other, unless the $50.00 bill is due to more courses, drinks etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 04:23 AM
 
1,196 posts, read 190,284 times
Reputation: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What is it with people lately trying to take money out of the hands of people who work hard for it?

No one kicked anyone out of a bar for only tipping $8, that's bs.

If you don't want to tip, don't go to restaurants, take cabs/ubers, don't go to the bar, etc.

European countries include sales tax in the price, but the problem is, they never really know just how much tax they are actually paying.
Of course people know how much the tax is, on most receipts the amount of VAT is shown separately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 06:29 AM
 
Location: Rutherfordton,NC
15,295 posts, read 9,358,379 times
Reputation: 10156
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
This is what puzzles me about the American tipping system. According to what you say wit-nit, that one server boasted to you, he makes between $350-$500 per eight hour shift. Let's say an average of $400. That's $2000 in tips over a five shift week.

Yet, all I read here is about poor servers, struggling to make a living. How about the poor patrons, and their struggles to make a living, so they can give $2000 a week to someone bringing a plate of food to their table, refilling their drink, and bothering you every few minutes, with 'everything all right here?' It is just ridiculous, and anyone with an ounce of sense knows it.
If those people you mentioned are struggling then the last thing they need to do is go out to eat. Or don't tip and when they flip you off as you leave, and call you cheap don't get upset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 06:34 AM
 
Location: England
25,466 posts, read 6,338,120 times
Reputation: 30686
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
If those people you mentioned are struggling then the last thing they need to do is go out to eat. Or don't tip and when they flip you off as you leave, and call you cheap don't get upset.
Maybe it's a special treat for folks without much money to go out to eat? Hard enough, without having to pay the wages of wait staff, instead of the employer doing so.

Calling them cheap, is part of the shame network, to ensure this practice never ends, enriching servers, who with tips, are far better off than the patrons of the establishment. It is undefendable, but of course, servers love it.

You a server? I bet you boast you never leave less than 20%. Maybe 30% if the server is especially servile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 08:01 AM
 
7,237 posts, read 2,626,054 times
Reputation: 3960
Why is a perfectly voluntary arrangement an embarrassment? The server volunteers to work under the wage structure, the employer volunteers to provide the base pay and working environment in which the employee will operate, and the customer volunteers - according to rational self-interest - to pay above and beyond the listed price of the service to compensate the server.

Where is the problem in this entirely voluntary chain of associations? Why is voluntary association, a natural right btw, an embarrassment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top