U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-22-2010, 10:05 PM
 
12,671 posts, read 21,125,804 times
Reputation: 2625

Advertisements

Another choke for Favre. He should retire like now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Extreme Southeast Philly, NJ
219 posts, read 221,237 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
7 pages if you go 30 instead of 10 per.
Touche... +220 responses, and counting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2010, 06:25 AM
 
52,303 posts, read 42,083,671 times
Reputation: 32640
Ok, so Favre will either keep playing at this level....or knock the rust off etc and the Vikes go on a nice win streak or something in-between.

At what point, (if he plays at the lower end of the range with injuries or whatever) do the Vikes bench him and try to make the playoffs? Never? 1-4? ????? Obviously if they are 3-3 or 4-2 by sometime in October then this isn't an option.

Please, serious response only...and some content as it's an honest question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2010, 06:30 AM
 
9,807 posts, read 13,523,095 times
Reputation: 8169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, so Favre will either keep playing at this level....or knock the rust off etc and the Vikes go on a nice win streak or something in-between.

At what point, (if he plays at the lower end of the range with injuries or whatever) do the Vikes bench him and try to make the playoffs? Never? 1-4? ????? Obviously if they are 3-3 or 4-2 by sometime in October then this isn't an option.

Please, serious response only...and some content as it's an honest question.

Only Brad Childress can answer that.

I already gave you my opinion,( different thread ) but I am not Brad Childress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2010, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Extreme Southeast Philly, NJ
219 posts, read 221,237 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, so Favre will either keep playing at this level....or knock the rust off etc and the Vikes go on a nice win streak or something in-between.

At what point, (if he plays at the lower end of the range with injuries or whatever) do the Vikes bench him and try to make the playoffs? Never? 1-4? ????? Obviously if they are 3-3 or 4-2 by sometime in October then this isn't an option.

Please, serious response only...and some content as it's an honest question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Only Brad Childress can answer that.

I already gave you my opinion,( different thread ) but I am not Brad Childress.
He said serious responses with content...

Never. I don't think Childress has it in him to be known as the guy who benched Brett Favre, the guy who ended the consecutive start streak. Now I know it'll be Brett's fault for poor play, but most people won't remember it that way. People always look back on the magic of Favre and will think, what if? Maybe he could have turned it around late and made a run. Plus, it would look bad on the organization to put all their eggs in the Favre basket, only to bench him halfway through the season or sooner. They'll suck it up, let him ride out the season, and they'll have the leverage against Favre coming back due to age and declined performance over a sample size of 16 games.

And no way would Brett stand for it, either. He couldn't even be pulled out of a game he was getting crushed in. Brett would have to voluntarily remove himself and he'd probably just retire then. It's his nature to try to compete no matter what, so he wouldn't be able to sit on the sideline and watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2010, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Midwestern Dystopia
2,377 posts, read 3,071,963 times
Reputation: 2967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, so Favre will either keep playing at this level....or knock the rust off etc and the Vikes go on a nice win streak or something in-between.

At what point, (if he plays at the lower end of the range with injuries or whatever) do the Vikes bench him and try to make the playoffs? Never? 1-4? ????? Obviously if they are 3-3 or 4-2 by sometime in October then this isn't an option.

Please, serious response only...and some content as it's an honest question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Only Brad Childress can answer that.

I already gave you my opinion,( different thread ) but I am not Brad Childress.
actually only Brett himself can answer that. Childress wanted to pull him last year in blow out games and he always refused, and yes I do believe he wants to rack up his stats despite the "aw shucks, I just love the game and the numbers don't mean a thing" routine.

Heck, he even overrode Childress and called passing plays late in games when childress called running plays.

they'll never bench him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2010, 08:45 AM
 
52,303 posts, read 42,083,671 times
Reputation: 32640
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyDizzle23 View Post
He said serious responses with content...

Never. I don't think Childress has it in him to be known as the guy who benched Brett Favre, the guy who ended the consecutive start streak. Now I know it'll be Brett's fault for poor play, but most people won't remember it that way. People always look back on the magic of Favre and will think, what if? Maybe he could have turned it around late and made a run. Plus, it would look bad on the organization to put all their eggs in the Favre basket, only to bench him halfway through the season or sooner. They'll suck it up, let him ride out the season, and they'll have the leverage against Favre coming back due to age and declined performance over a sample size of 16 games.

And no way would Brett stand for it, either. He couldn't even be pulled out of a game he was getting crushed in. Brett would have to voluntarily remove himself and he'd probably just retire then. It's his nature to try to compete no matter what, so he wouldn't be able to sit on the sideline and watch.
I agree with pretty much all of that. It's almost like watching Emmitt Smith ginding out yards for the rushing record when he arguably shouldn't have been a starter or even in the league anymore. Granted, in his defense that team wasn't going anywhere so the fans weren't getting restless.

Not that I think it will happen, but OMG what if they lose at home to Detroit this week? I'm just pitching some of these scenarios because (however remote) the potential is there for this to get crazy. They miss the playoffs, Favre retires, Childress gets fired....then what if their current 3rd stringer or TJ take the Vikes back to the playoffs the next year? That would be 3 straight teams that will have gotten better after he left.

Again, one of the all-time greats...I'm not even touching that. I'm just more interested in how bad this could *possibly* get and the repercussions. It's like watching a car go screaming into a high-speed turn and not knowing if it will pull through it or go flying into a bunch of trees.

(In all likelihood they will be 1-2 after Sunday which will calm things down)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2010, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Extreme Southeast Philly, NJ
219 posts, read 221,237 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Not that I think it will happen, but OMG what if they lose at home to Detroit this week? I'm just pitching some of these scenarios because (however remote) the potential is there for this to get crazy. They miss the playoffs, Favre retires, Childress gets fired....then what if their current 3rd stringer or TJ take the Vikes back to the playoffs the next year? That would be 3 straight teams that will have gotten better after he left.
Childress was on the verge of getting fired anyway, wasn't he? Before Brett, at least, which is why Childress goes to such great lengths for him. Brett has given him a few extra years pay which is huge - last year, this year, and next year at least.

This could get ugly. A loss Sunday, or even a poor performance would have questions and rumors started everyday until they get it together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2010, 11:38 AM
 
52,303 posts, read 42,083,671 times
Reputation: 32640
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyDizzle23 View Post
Childress was on the verge of getting fired anyway, wasn't he? Before Brett, at least, which is why Childress goes to such great lengths for him. Brett has given him a few extra years pay which is huge - last year, this year, and next year at least.

This could get ugly. A loss Sunday, or even a poor performance would have questions and rumors started everyday until they get it together.
Yeah, worst case scenario is that they lose a close game to Detroit with Favre playing like last week. At that point one could reasonably state that they'd be 2-1 with TJ and the conversation will shift to whether he is too hurt to be playing effectively (which I think is true).

Personally I don't think he is too old to PLAY, he is just too old to take much of a beating and still play at a good level. Rest him up, make the playoffs and then have him fresh for a couple key games down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Rested and healthy he can still perform great but across a 16game season that's almost impossible for a 40yo non-kicker. At this point he's being stupid and stubborn and the vikes have facilitated this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2010, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Extreme Southeast Philly, NJ
219 posts, read 221,237 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Personally I don't think he is too old to PLAY, he is just too old to take much of a beating and still play at a good level. Rest him up, make the playoffs and then have him fresh for a couple key games down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Rested and healthy he can still perform great but across a 16game season that's almost impossible for a 40yo non-kicker. At this point he's being stupid and stubborn and the vikes have facilitated this.
Absolutely. Except it's too late to go back and rest him for a while. Egos way too big on all sides, hence, stupid and stubborn... As anyone ages, you get hit and it hurts more, you recover slower (unless you're on PEDs...). Favre was just the exception as he made it this long before it's caught up now.

We just have to deal with it until it's over. 14 more games. Or he may get hurt before then and he'll have no choice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top