Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 07:51 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I don't think Caldwell's a bad coach, but ...
  • Didn't win coaching in college
  • Colts were declining under his watch
  • Backups unprepared

Better hope he gets a good staff. He has hired the Eagles QB coach for offensive coordinator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 08:04 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
  • Didn't win coaching in college
  • Colts were declining under his watch
  • Backups unprepared

Better hope he gets a good staff. He has hired the Eagles QB coach for offensive coordinator.
College...who cares? Bill Walsh was not an exceptional college coach, but a legend at the pro level. It's a different skill set that it takes to succeed at the respective levels.

Whether Caldwell is the best X's and O's guy or whether he had his team as fired up as another coach, those are sidebars. I think that the fact that he went 14-2 and had earned the respect of coaches like Dungy and John Harbaugh is enough for me.

Whether it's a good hire or not is a different issue - a coach can be a good coach in one situation and bad in another. I agree it could be a bad hire, but I still think he's an okay coach. Yeah, he made the infamous timeout decision, but even great coaches have made really boneheaded moves - Belichick's made several and nobody's about to question his coaching ability. His sanity sometimes, but not his ability.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:11 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I'm wondering if this team will adjust to someone trying to bring in some structure. He is known for working with QBs, will Stafford accept it? He has said, I don't need a QB coach telling me what to do. Jeff Saturday said Caldwell had a plan every Wed. and expected players to adhere to his plan. In the past, it didn't appear Lions had a strict structure, this could be interesting!
I think the Lions problems are deeper than that, and I'm really curious to see how he handles Stafford. But more to the point, I'm really curious to see how he handles a defense that occasionally just does inexplicably dumb things and a team that lacks discipline. Schwartzy's answer was to talk to Suh after he did something dumb as he was coming off the sideline, but he relied on the NFL to impose discipline. He really has to be a disciplinarian. Lovie would have been a better hire. Not sure I'm entirely sold on Wizzy but he was definitely a good offensive coach and could have really done great things for that offense.

The Lions need a Jim Harbaugh in a bottle. They don't need a players' coach; they need someone who's going to come in and absolutely hold people accountable. I don't think they've hired that guy, but we'll see. I'm not even a Lions fan but as a football fan, it would be a terrible waste to watch this team get old and injured without even coming close to achieving their full potential. They're easily a Super Bowl contender with the right management.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:47 PM

11,259 posts, read 11,028,294 times
If this team needs one thing in particular it is DISCIPLINE.

Does this HC selection provide that???........

Good news for Packers fans!

Old 01-16-2014, 08:15 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
The Lions would have been better off buying a coffee table as their head coach... It would be much cheaper with identical results!!

Jim Caldwell is a good person but SUCKS as a coach!! His "deer in the headlights" look on the Colts' sideline was always priceless... He got outcoached in many games here! I saw it first hand on the sidelines of Peyton Manning's last game as a Colt... The playoff game against the Jets.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:54 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
The Lions would have been better off buying a coffee table as their head coach... It would be much cheaper with identical results!!

Jim Caldwell is a good person but SUCKS as a coach!! His "deer in the headlights" look on the Colts' sideline was always priceless... He got outcoached in many games here! I saw it first hand on the sidelines of Peyton Manning's last game as a Colt... The playoff game against the Jets.
That timeout was on par with Marty Mornhinweg kicking off in OT.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:48 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
College...who cares? Bill Walsh was not an exceptional college coach, but a legend at the pro level. It's a different skill set that it takes to succeed at the respective levels.

Whether Caldwell is the best X's and O's guy or whether he had his team as fired up as another coach, those are sidebars. I think that the fact that he went 14-2 and had earned the respect of coaches like Dungy and John Harbaugh is enough for me.

Whether it's a good hire or not is a different issue - a coach can be a good coach in one situation and bad in another. I agree it could be a bad hire, but I still think he's an okay coach. Yeah, he made the infamous timeout decision, but even great coaches have made really boneheaded moves - Belichick's made several and nobody's about to question his coaching ability. His sanity sometimes, but not his ability.
I bet that 14-2 year was the year after Dungy left.

Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl the year after Jimmy Johnson left.

I just think some people are better coordinators than coaches. He is one of them IMO.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:24 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
I'm very unhappy with this hire. I hope to god they know more than me and will prove me wrong. I just don't see good things to come with Caldwell. I feel like this is going to be yet another bad decision made by good ole mr. Ford.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:26 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:

The Lions need a Jim Harbaugh in a bottle. They don't need a players' coach; they need someone who's going to come in and absolutely hold people accountable. I don't think they've hired that guy, but we'll see. I'm not even a Lions fan but as a football fan, it would be a terrible waste to watch this team get old and injured without even coming close to achieving their full potential. They're easily a Super Bowl contender with the right management.

I was hoping so much for Josh McDaniels. I really thought it might happen after we didn't get Whisenhunt. I wasn't 100% sold on him(wisenhunt) but I felt like he could be better than Caldwell.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:14 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
Maybe I'm just drinking the yellow Kool-Aid and eating the stale cornbread, but I have a good feeling about the Caldwell hire. He isn't the "sexy" pick like Whisenhunt, but he's experienced as a head coach and he took a team to the Superbowl (albeit with Peyton Manning) and lost to a very strong New Orleans Saints team in 2009.

His primary challenge is to find a way to help Stafford grow into a Peyton Manning or near-Manning and to cut down on the team's turnovers. I'm not real sour on the defensive coordinator hiring either. He hired the Ravens' DB coach, and we all know that the Lions could use improved coaching of the DB's.

IMHO, coaching is an art and it's very difficult to predict which combination of players and coaches will work out. A "sexy candidate" can take over a team and have bad chemistry and do poorly whereas a relatively unknown coach can have success. As with draft picks, we won't really be able to grade him for two seasons (unless he has an extremely bad or good season in his first year).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football