Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 07:00 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post

I'm sure that was exactly the reason they are the 1pm game.
I understand the truth hurts sometimes, but it is what it is....

The truth is that the NFL is about money and TV ratings are a HUGE part of decision making from the bigwigs. If you don't realize that then you don't understand the NFL.

Again, I'll repeat this again. OUTSIDE of ATLANTA, no one wants to see the Falcons in a prime time TV slot. Also, no one really cares about the Texans and Bengals...primarily because they have no track record. That's why they are the 1st game on Saturday. People don't hate those teams, its just if most are out at a bar or watching w/friends, its a hell of alot more appealing watching Discount doublecheck or Brady, or Peyton....Andy Dalton/Julio Jones is a nice story (and I will be pulling for them against Houston), but since the Bengals has such a terrible track record, no one believes in them, (just like the Falcons in the NFC...)

If you don't believe me or think I'm crazy, when this weekend is over, lets go over the TV ratings and then we'll discuss if that makes you feel better, ok?

Not trying to be ugly or start an argument, just trying to have the discussion about time slots on TV...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 07:13 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

The truth is that the NFL is about money and TV ratings are a HUGE part of decision making from the bigwigs. If you don't realize that then you don't understand the NFL.

Again, I'll repeat this again. OUTSIDE of ATLANTA, no one wants to see the Falcons in a prime time TV slot. Also, no one really cares about the Texans and Bengals...primarily because they have no track record. That's why they are the 1st game on Saturday. People don't hate those teams, its just if most are out at a bar or watching w/friends, its a hell of alot more appealing watching Discount doublecheck or Brady, or Peyton....Andy Dalton/Julio Jones is a nice story (and I will be pulling for them against Houston), but since the Bengals has such a terrible track record, no one believes in them, (just like the Falcons in the NFC...)

If you don't believe me or think I'm crazy, when this weekend is over, lets go over the TV ratings and then we'll discuss if that makes you feel better, ok?

Not trying to be ugly or start an argument, just trying to have the discussion about time slots on TV...
I actually have to agree. The proof is in the scheduling, which is never final until the league knows who's seeded where. They slate the games based off of where they see the most revenue potential. They do this in the regular season as well, which explains why some teams have to play others on the road two years in a row, as well as some of the prime time slots. Ever notice how many times the NFL imposes primetime Cowboys or Jets games on us real football fans?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:50 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
Again, I'll repeat this again. OUTSIDE of ATLANTA, no one wants to see the Falcons in a prime time TV slot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I actually have to agree. The proof is in the scheduling, which is never final until the league knows who's seeded where.
I wasn't disagreeing. I know it's all about the money and TV ratings and totally agree that Atlanta ranks below teams like Denver and New England when it comes to prime time "viewability."

Quote:
Andy Dalton/Julio Jones is a nice story (and I will be pulling for them against Houston), but since the Bengals has such a terrible track record, no one believes in them, (just like the Falcons in the NFC...)
... yeah... like I said in my previous post it's amazing at all the disrespect Atlanta gets for 3 playoffs losses... to Super Bowl teams... only one of which was actually at home.

Who's the pick to knock off the "one and done" Atlanta Falcons at home this year? Vikings? Seahawks? Redskins? The only thing similiar between the 2010 Falcons and 2012 Falcons is the 13-3 record.

This is the best Falcons team to date under Mike Smith. Time to get it done in a wide open NFC.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
The only thing similiar between the 2010 Falcons and 2012 Falcons is the 13-3 record.
Many people don't see it that way unfortunately....we can get into the particulars until the cows come home, but you still have alot of the same dynamics from 2010 (ie Atlanta w/a high seed / Green Bay in the mix / etc)...

Again,either yourself and a whole lot of Falcons fans will either be able to brag, or eat crow....one or the other...

that's why the NFL is so good...

Old 01-02-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Many people don't see it that way unfortunately....we can get into the particulars until the cows come home, but you still have alot of the same dynamics from 2010 (ie Atlanta w/a high seed / Green Bay in the mix / etc)...

Again,either yourself and a whole lot of Falcons fans will either be able to brag, or eat crow....one or the other...

that's why the NFL is so good...
I agree... the NFL is a league of matchups. Atlanta matches up well with Washington. Seattle matches up well with Atlanta... the Redskins are my choice to come to Atlanta for the divisional round. Still not sure about Minnesota... all depends on if Atlanta can tackle.

Minnesota matches up well with Green Bay. One thing I'll say about the Packers is they aren't the 2010 team...

I'm either gonna eat crow or I'm not. It's gonna be fun.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 AM

14,324 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Packers defense better than last year but not 2010 team. They try all kinds of combos on Oline and "D" but they miss the players on IR. Bishop and Bulaga particularly. Draft and develop is great but it takes time. Playing a division rival that knows you well makes this a very tough game, especially with AP running at will!

Overall I always enjoy the playoffs but I think this year is more interesting. It could be that some perpetual contenders are knocked out and you have some "new" teams for a change!

Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 AM

I agree Susan... It's time for Atlanta to end the one and done conversations with a Super Bowl run... 2 home wins is all it takes.

Ryan is... 33-5 at home? Time to make it 35-5.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:30 AM

I think it would be frustrating, every conversation about Falcons ends with "yeah but" as in can they go all the way!

Packers have won games but they have issues yet they get talked about how they can go to the SB. I'm a fan, I would be thrilled but realistic enough to realize would not be surprised if they get bumped out.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:35 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
I think it's way too early and a bit foolish to predict who the Vikings will beat in the NFCC after disposing of Green Bay and Atlanta.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:45 AM

We'll see about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football