Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 06:34 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookieboy View Post
I agree with you about Aaron being classy throughout this whole mess. The thing I worry about is, if the Pack start out 2-4, it will be ALL his fault. Hope he comes out firing on opening day!

As for the "bring Brett back" crowd, don't you guys get it. He does not care about you! If he did he would'nt have caused this whole thing. He has put Rogers and coach McCarthy in a no-win situation and divided the entire Packer fan base for what? To play in Minnesota? Chicago? Thats right. HE WANTS TO PLAY IN MINNESOTA OR CHICAGO! How wrong is that for a "true" Packer? Open your eyes, guess he's not a "true" Packer is he? When he "retired", the team re-tooled for their "Farve-less" future. He is causing huge problems with the teams prep for the new season, yet you losers sit outside the Hutson center and chant "bring Brett back"! Idiots! It's over. I loved the guy like every other Packer fan. But he is bringing down my team. Your team. The drama has made me realize one thing for sure. I'm a much bigger Packer fan than a Farve fan.

Go Pack Go!!
Exactly. Some loyalty, wanting a trade within the division so he could take his revenge out on the field. Those people chanting for Favre probably never followed the team before 1992 ... they're Favre fans, not Packer fans. Anyway, enjoy your +1 from a fellow fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I don't think Favre has handled this perfectly at all, but really, I'm just ticked off that the Packers got rid of a high caliber iron man qb to put all their eggs in the fragile Aaron Rodgers basket.
That's been the plan ever since March. No one seemed to have a problem with it until Brett started his little comeback drama. I really think people are misdirecting their anger at management toward Rodgers. He's the same guy who was appoitned to lead this team in March, and now all of a sudden he's worthless?

The Packers didn't "get rid" of anyone. Brett did this to himself.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I cant believe the stuff I am reading here. I love the Packers as much as anyone but TT and the rest of management have screwed up big time.

All Brett wants to do is play football. He isnt being immature, egotistical, or anything else. He just wants to play football.
If that were the case, he would have returned the calls from the Jets and Bucs when they were initially interested in him. He refused. Then he would have accepted the offer to compete for his old job back. He refused.

Quote:
TT and Mike McCarthy's job is to field the team that gives them the best chance to win games and a championship. By letting Brett go, they are not doing that. Therefor, they are failing at their job.
Brett was the one who couldn't get over his tizzy at being wronged. He gave the team no choice but to trade him. Brett let himself go, for all intents and purposes.

Believe me, the team we have RIGHT NOW is the best team we could field. Having a player in the locker room with a chip on his shoulder against management would have divided and destroyed this team.

Quote:
Why do you think most everyone in GB is siding with Brett? Why do you think their are fans that have had season tickets for 40 years giving them up as a protest to get TT fired? Because he is the villian. He is the one that has been a liar, immature, and many other things I cant say on here.
Well, let's see. It's Brett who admitted he couldn't get past his anger at management. It's Brett who threw a tantrum when he sat down with McCarthy, who offered him a chance to come back and compete for his job. It's Brett who revealed intimate details of private conversations in the national media. It's Brett who jerked this team around for years with his indecision. It's Brett who publicly criticized his own teammate, Javon Walker, for badmouthing the organization during a contract disupute, and then he goes and does the same thing. It's Brett who called out management for not making the roster and coaching moves that HE wanted. It's Brett who demanded to have everything done his way, even after unretiring, retiring, and unretiring again, after demanding a trade to a division opponent so he could take revenge against the team, and after lying about and backstabbing just about everyone he could. No, I'd say Brett pretty much has himself to blame for how this shook out.

And boy, if people are giving up season tickets, send them my way. I'll happily take them.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:22 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
the QB position is the MOST important position in the NFL, hell its the most important positoin in all levels of football, infact, its the most important job in all of sports. Don't tell me that a crappy QB gets you that fantastic record. Are you saying you could have plugged in Ryan Leaf and been as successfull. Yes, your team finally put some chemistry around BF. No, I maintain that GB management is full of idiots. I don't care about Arron Rogers 3 years. What about the 17 years of Brett. What about the fact that he wouldnt even quit that night he came up spitting blood. What about the great superbowl win. What about the game against my broncos in SB 42....which scared the crap out of me. I never thought we had it won until the last second ticked off (AND WE HAD JOHN ELWAY FOR GOD SAKES). Brett always gave the team a chance to win no matter what happened.
So I guess your saying Favre did play defense, ran the ball threw to himself. It was 11 on 1 apparently.

I forget how did the NFC championship game end? Favre was a great QB in the years they went to the Super Bowl, but if you think he is the same QB now, please give me what your smoking.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:55 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
So I guess your saying Favre did play defense, ran the ball threw to himself. It was 11 on 1 apparently.

I forget how did the NFC championship game end? Favre was a great QB in the years they went to the Super Bowl, but if you think he is the same QB now, please give me what your smoking.
Hey my QB retired a Bronco, I will always enjoy that. Your a terrible fan if your going to hang it up because he threw an interception in OVERTIME of the NFC champaionship. Elway was the QB in the worst loss in superbowl history. The Niners put 55 points against our 10 points. Nobody turned on Elway. I have lost all my respect for your team. Interceptions are also caused by blown plays by recievers too, as long as you are going to claim it was all about the team effort. Im not sure you are from GB because I havent met fans like you before. The GB fans in Denver and Pheonix where I currently live are nothing like you.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:02 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Hey my QB retired a Bronco, I will always enjoy that. Your a terrible fan if your going to hang it up because he threw an interception in OVERTIME of the NFC champaionship. Elway was the QB in the worst loss in superbowl history. The Niners put 55 points against our 10 points. Nobody turned on Elway. I have lost all my respect for your team. Interceptions are also caused by blown plays by recievers too, as long as you are going to claim it was all about the team effort. Im not sure you are from GB because I havent met fans like you before. The GB fans in Denver and Pheonix where I currently live are nothing like you.

See this is your mistake. I am a PACKER fan first and foremost, I was a Favre fan because he was on my team. Second dont judge me, you have no idea what kind of fan I am. I was behind Favre through everything, Elway didn't have the issues Favre did. When Favre admitted he was hooked on painkillers this fan bases supported him. When Favre threw six picks vs the Rams in the playoffs we stuck with him. When Favre's father died all of Packer nation morned with him. So take your holier than now attitude and shove it. I am the fan who doesn't go to Packers practice and Boo Rodgers because Favre left, maybe your committed to Elway but I love my team.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:07 AM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
ROFL! I never thought I'd agree with a Bears fan, of all things.

Yeah, it really is disturbing to now find out how many people deify this guy. Don't get me wrong. I loved watching him play. Sometimes I was yelling at my TV screen over the stupid passes he'd make, but other times I was astounded at some of the amazing plays he pulled off. You never knew what you were going to get, but it was always exciting to watch.

But it's OVER. He made his bed, and now he has to lie in it. And you know what? The Packers will go on. If the Packers survived the retirement of Vince Lombardi and Bart Starr, it can survive the retirement of Brett Favre. No player or coach is bigger than the team ... even if some of them think they are.
Yep, I watched the trading of Favre with great sadness. My friend and I always bet (tradition, small amounts) on the bears-packers game and his chances of taking my money this year just skyrocketed.

If anything, the Favre debacle has shaken my faith that the Packers fans are generally football smart. Perhaps they picked up a lot of bandwagon fans through the Favre years and those people haven't paid much attention since the Packers cooled off. Suddenly the Packers went 13-3 through a soft schedule with a good young team and the bandwagoners woke up from their beer nap long enough to see Brett Favre on the field and the Packers winning without really watching the games etc. Then again, there are cult of personality groupies (like John Madden) that seem to man-crush on Favre and can't see him as anything but the MVP he was back when no one had ever heard the name Osama Bin Laden.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
See this is your mistake. I am a PACKER fan first and foremost, I was a Favre fan because he was on my team. Second dont judge me, you have no idea what kind of fan I am. I was behind Favre through everything, Elway didn't have the issues Favre did. When Favre admitted he was hooked on painkillers this fan bases supported him. When Favre threw six picks vs the Rams in the playoffs we stuck with him. When Favre's father died all of Packer nation morned with him. So take your holier than now attitude and shove it. I am the fan who doesn't go to Packers practice and Boo Rodgers because Favre left, maybe your committed to Elway but I love my team.

Dang, I wish I could give you another rep point.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:28 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,760 times
I'm amazed at how much coverage and attention this has gotten! It's football, people, not world politics or something really important. I love football. I loved watching Brett Favre play (the Packers/Panthers game in 96 is the first game my hubby and I watched together) but players come and go. It's the way it is. What really bugs me about the whole thing is that he sat on tv back in March crying saying he just mentally couldn't do it anymore and was done. They call him in JUNE and he says no I'm not coming back. They move on and bam. He's back wanting to play. The Packers organization did the only thing they could. Brett should have stayed retired and not ruined his reputation with a lot of people. That one interception would not have overshadowed all his years as one of the best QB's in the game. He should have retired a Packer. He's one of those that will always be thought of with a certain team. He is a Packer not a Jet. Oh well. I'm a Panther fan anyway but I wish all of this would go away. It's getting old. It's done. Time to move on with football season!!! Are you ready for some football????????

Old 08-08-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If anything, the Favre debacle has shaken my faith that the Packers fans are generally football smart. Perhaps they picked up a lot of bandwagon fans through the Favre years and those people haven't paid much attention since the Packers cooled off. Suddenly the Packers went 13-3 through a soft schedule with a good young team and the bandwagoners woke up from their beer nap long enough to see Brett Favre on the field and the Packers winning without really watching the games etc. Then again, there are cult of personality groupies (like John Madden) that seem to man-crush on Favre and can't see him as anything but the MVP he was back when no one had ever heard the name Osama Bin Laden.
Dude, I think you hit the nail on the head. This whole debacle has really separated the Favre fans from the Packer fans. Like Packernut said, I was a Favre fan because he was my team's QB, but my team ALWAYS comes first.

Yes, he had a great season last year, but (1) it wasn't all his doing and (2) people seem to forget that he had two pretty lousy years before 2007. There's no guarantee that if we had bent down, kissed his ring, and given him back the team that he wouldn't have had another one of his terrible years. The guy is past his prime, there's no way around it. Yeah, I would have supported him if he'd been our QB this year, but I'm under no illusions that he would have been our savior, because with Brett, you just never know what you're gonna get. That was true even when he was in his prime.

I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but there's one reason we didn't go to the Super Bowl last year: Brett made a terrible decision in overtime of the NFL title game and underthrew an ill-advised pass. Webster intercepts, the Giants get the field goal, game over. I said after that game that it was time for Brett to hang it up, because champion players at the top of their game just don't do that when there's so much on the line. We had plenty of time. We could have taken what the defense gave us. We had a solid running game. We had home-field advantage. You don't take an unnecessary gamble in that situation. But he did, and it killed us.

That's why I was actually relieved to see him retire in March. I was sad, but I knew it was time to move on. I thought Brett did, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football