Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2018, 01:32 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,116,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
If they can't make upscale or midscale work ....... maybe downscale? Forget competing with the Umsteads and Hamptons of the world. They could try throwing in some quarter-fed vibrating beds like I imagine some of those kind of shady looking single story per-day-motels and hotels along East Chatham might have. Those places are still in business and have been there a long time -they must be doing ok. You gotta know your market.

Vote Now!
Just heard yesterday the "shady" motel on East Chatham across from Crosstown has been sold!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 06:29 PM

812 posts, read 832,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I heard last week from a pretty reliable source that La farm project is in fact a go...expansion of the facility to include a dining area as well as related retail next door..(also heard the mural on the side was a goner..can't wait for that drama....)
Quote:
Just heard yesterday the "shady" motel on East Chatham across from Crosstown has been sold!
You "hear" a lot of things.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:13 PM

9,146 posts, read 14,775,028 times
Quote:
Been thinking for a while that would surely be going.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:01 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
The hotel will be a Go long-term, I think.
It was a mistake to burn a ton of capital building and maintaining while TOC had the streets torn up for so long.
If it opened today, it would garner a ton of attention, and the funds would still be in the bank.

And, yes, there are design and management issues. The second will be easier to fix.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:26 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,545,798 times
Guide to Beer In and Around Cary – CaryCitizen

Only one person has face in phone in pic! ;-)

Old 10-12-2018, 09:24 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,545,798 times
Anyone seen any progress on renovations at Sams-Jones House?

per: https://www.newsobserver.com/enterta...190536299.html

Old 10-16-2018, 01:51 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,875,729 times
Cary doesn't need to focus on any more hotels downtown at this point in time. Right now they need to focus on infill projects, and having more eateries. Don't get me wrong you can see the potential but you have a lot of places to drink right now and there needs to be more cafe's, ma and pa joints, comfort food, soul food. Like I feel like they have the wrong idea because even the jones building is going to be a new high end Asian eatery when it's perfect for a southern breakfast and lunch spot. Wish Annelore's German Bakery was along Academy street. The Park is one thing I don't think anyone can argue was a great addition to downtown. And it would be perfect to have a place that's not too expensive where peeps can grab a bite and eat it in the park.
Basically the Mayton Inn should have either found a different location near weston parkway or something, somewhere where it's convenient for business travelers. Or waited a bit for downtown to be built out a little bit more to have more things going for it, since people aren't just looking to stay in a hotel but they want to walk around, explore the area, go to xyz event etc.
On a side note, when are they supposed to start that 50 million mix use project they announced like 3 years ago?

Old 10-16-2018, 02:30 PM

812 posts, read 832,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
Cary doesn't need to focus on any more hotels downtown at this point in time. Right now they need to focus on infill projects, and having more eateries. Don't get me wrong you can see the potential but you have a lot of places to drink right now and there needs to be more cafe's, ma and pa joints, comfort food, soul food. Like I feel like they have the wrong idea because even the jones building is going to be a new high end Asian eatery when it's perfect for a southern breakfast and lunch spot. Wish Annelore's German Bakery was along Academy street. The Park is one thing I don't think anyone can argue was a great addition to downtown. And it would be perfect to have a place that's not too expensive where peeps can grab a bite and eat it in the park.
Basically the Mayton Inn should have either found a different location near weston parkway or something, somewhere where it's convenient for business travelers. Or waited a bit for downtown to be built out a little bit more to have more things going for it, since people aren't just looking to stay in a hotel but they want to walk around, explore the area, go to xyz event etc.
On a side note, when are they supposed to start that 50 million mix use project they announced like 3 years ago?
1. Totally agree about needing a fast casual type place at the Jones house across from the DT Park instead of a white table cloth Asian fusion joint. I am pretty confident the market is going to back me up on that as well (yes, I am already predicting the failure of the Asian place.... before it even opens... if it opens).

2. Annelore's German Bakery is awesome. It is back in my good graces, after not having pretzels a couple times I went there, when the owner encouraged me to call anytime and and they will reserve pretzels for me... even if it means proofing and baking some right before I show up (fresher even). My kids love their creatively decorated sugar cookies. Recently I enjoy their pretzels and apple strudel with some good German beer; hey, 'tis the season (Octoberfest).

3. Excellent question about the status of the 50 million Northwoods Associates mixed use project. I often wonder the same. https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...e74153872.html

Old 10-27-2018, 11:22 PM

609 posts, read 506,241 times
How about a couple of auto repair shops? That would be amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
If they can't make upscale or midscale work ....... maybe downscale? Forget competing with the Umsteads and Hamptons of the world. They could try throwing in some quarter-fed vibrating beds like I imagine some of those kind of shady looking single story per-day-motels and hotels along East Chatham might have. Those places are still in business and have been there a long time -they must be doing ok. You gotta know your market.

And, if they can't get a hotel concept to work there, and have to liquidate and find a buyer for a potential other use for that building

How about:
-Mattress store (though Mattress Factory has recently filed for bankruptcy also)
-Vape shop
-Storage
-Auto repair shop
-Medical or Dental (Lane and Associates could have just moved in there instead of building kind of a similar looking structure on Maynard and Harrison)
-Senior living

Vote Now!

Old 11-04-2018, 05:49 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,993,934 times
Brief update on the proposed Harrison/Chatham project...seems like things are not progressing quickly, but it's definitely a complicated project.

Quote:
On my way to my next meeting I dropped in to a meeting of a group of stakeholders discussing the potential mixed use development at Harrison Avenue and Chatham Street. The stakeholders included members of the First Baptist Church, Jordan Development, and the Town of Cary. This project has been in the works for years and would include retail, residential, and a parking deck. It is my hope that these great people can find a way to make it work.
» Blog Archive » November 4, 2018
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary