Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 02:50 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
the toddler needs to be pulling his/her own weight as well. no reason for them to be luxuriating on a daily basis either.
Wow! hahaha! Really? Go for it .

Don't see why it is so difficult for American parents to delegate house chores to their children. I know children can sue their parents for different reasons in the USA but can they sue their parents for expecting them to do house chores? If so, then I can understand why parents don't want to tell their children to chip in.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:53 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
No, it's not for me.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:55 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
If I HAD a choice I would have stayed home for the 1st year and then returned to work. This time around we were not financially able to do that.

I wanna know what you MEN prefer if it were a choice =)

Asking my male co worker's most of them say they would rather have their wives at home.

I know my husband would prefer a second income for financial security & stability unless we were so well of that it was pointless for me not to be home.
What Ive seen with the three guys that have had children in my lab. The first couldnt wait and bragged about how gravy it was going to be to be a stay home day. They had twins and his wife made more $. Less than a year he was chomping at the bit to get back to work. One guy bragged that when his wife finished school (teacher) she would make more $ and when they had kids he would stay home. Didnt happen. I asked about that he said yes if when got the admin job and made more money so he would have enough money to run around all day and they wouldnt have to give up any luxuries he would quit and stay home with the baby. They seem to be under the assumption they can contine their hobbies and life style while taking care of the kids and house.

The third is going to be interesting. They had their first almost 2 yrs. ago. She stayed home about 6 mo. and worked from home another 6 mo. (they both work here) and is now part time. He had no desire to stay home. Now, they are expecting twins! I dont know if she will stay home or not. I dont know how she will be able to work. She is the one expected to take the kid to daycare and pick him up and do all the dr. visits and stay home when the kids sick. He says he is fine with her staying home but acts like he wants her to keep working.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:06 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Temporarily ignoring the fact that I can't imagine ever actually having a wife in the first place... There's no way I'd want children, and standard household chores don't really take very long, so if I had a wife and she was staying home, she'd be contributing no more than a very easy part time job which required only a handful of hours every week. Hardly seems fair for me to work all week to pay the bills, with her only effort being a little cleaning and cooking one meal a day, if even that. Throw children into the equation, and things change noticeably, but like I said, no children for me.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:07 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
My ex made more than enough money for me to stay home. We didn't have kids so I took care of the house and him. I did eventually get a part time job because I became bored.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:49 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,851 times
When I finally get married, I'd like my wife to stay home to take care of the kids. I don't trust anyone else with that responsibility...

Old 03-12-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
When I finally get married, I'd like my wife to stay home to take care of the kids. I don't trust anyone else with that responsibility...
what about yourself

Old 03-12-2012, 04:27 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post

I don't have or want children but I see staying at home a waste of an education. I'm not busting my ass and spending thousands for a master's degree just to throw it all away and stay home.

Actually, I don't see being well educated and staying home to take care of your children as a "waste of an education". Studies clearly show that the intelligence of children correlates with maternal intelligence/education more then paternal. It makes sense when you think about it. Your impact on the development and early education of your kids is likely more profound then your husband's when you stay at home, leading to more intelligent kids who will ultimately be better contributors to society. And because of your education, you will likely have more success in obtaining a job later in life, once the kids are out of the house.

So part of me loves it when I see these wealthy successful men with their silly (uneducated..) trophy wives, who go on to have kids who are dysfunctional/less intelligent/less successful. Regression to the mean....

Old 03-12-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Actually, I don't see being well educated and staying home to take care of your children as a "waste of an education". Studies clearly show that the intelligence of children correlates with maternal intelligence/education more then paternal. It makes sense when you think about it. Your impact on the development and early education of your kids is likely more profound then your husband's when you stay at home, leading to more intelligent kids who will ultimately be better contributors to society. And because of your education, you will likely have more success in obtaining a job later in life, once the kids are out of the house.
Think about that for a minute......................................

20-25 years later when your 45, 50 years old you have a 20-25 year old master's degree and maybe a couple of years early on of actual work experience. Dont think your going to be that successful in obtaining a decent job in your field of study. Look how much technology has changed nearly every professional field in the last 20 years and there will be bright, energetic new graduates eagar to fill job positions.

Thats one major thing that would terrify me about putting my career on a shelf to be a stay at home mom for that long. Heck 3-5 years would put you at a disadvantage.

I think most day care workers are educated. I know teachers are.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:56 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I have always said...sex and fried chicken. If women who stayed at home were more attantive to their men in these regards, then the men might not mind so much.
I give mine sex and shrimp scampi. Maybe that's why he doesn't mind that I stay home. Although, I gotta say that I like the way I clean better- and so does he. I like the way I cook better- and so does he. I like the way I dress kids better- and so does he. I like the way I do laundry better- and so does he.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships