Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:37 AM

977 posts, read 1,815,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
As a whole, though, a lot of men are actually pretty oblivious about their attractiveness.
Actually no. They've done countless studies on this: Men overrate themselves on many things from looks to intelligence to financial knowledge, much more than women do. Evolutionarily, this does make sense since we are the ones that have to ask out women. If we didn't rate ourselves so highly, this species would cease to exist.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:37 AM

782 posts, read 1,087,209 times
Quote:
It's good to know who my friends are.

I expected this...but really, my intention was not to bait. Some people can't seem to discuss things without feeling as if they are under attack...Feel free to create as many 'man-bashing' threads as you like.

Yep, that is what jaded societies do - bash one another.
But seriously, sad to say, everyone is a target; each generation, both genders, thin/fat, income levels, etc.....

Old 05-09-2012, 10:39 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Not so much that it bugs me they put on a disguise...

This idea that some people have that...when they put on makeup, they look pretty, and then in their minds they start imagining they are naturally just better looking than men. That makeup just 'enhances your features.' Maybe some women, but others...yeah right. That's probably what I'm annoyed at.
WHAT??? I mean, WHAT??? Honestly - most women are not trying to compete against men for attractiveness. Most women are trying to make themselves attractive FOR men or for themselves.

I think you need to take a step back and really think about what you are feeling. It doesn't make any sense.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:40 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
You might think you've got me all figured out, Yzette...maybe somewhere deep down it is resentment/jealousy.whatever, but know, don't make assumptions or think you can read my mind. My intention was not to offend, but people will get offended regardless.
If you have resentment, then maybe you should work on fixing something within yourself instead of coming to a message board read by millions of people and writing things disparaging women as a gender that you certainly must know will be read by thousands of women.

What people who write threads like yours fail to realize--and I'm talking to all of you out there who do this, men or women--is that all it does is make your issues glaringly obvious. Yes, after reading months of this tripe, people do figure you out.

The irony is that lashing out like that only makes your own situation worse. It's not productive for anyone. You may feel that you've gotten something off your chest, but unless you are a complete and absolute loser, knowing that you go around annoying people cannot possibly make you feel better about yourself.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:45 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,123 times
Quote:
Posted by Trimac20
I think it's because I see a lot of women being complimented as being so beautiful and stuff...I wonder if people are being kind, or if I have higher/different standards. Maybe I'm sort of annoyed at comments...
I see many average women being seen as hot stuff...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Seriously - get over it. If you are upset because other people are getting complimented - that should be a red flag to you. This is on YOU - not other people. Jealousy is an ugly thing. Who cares if women that you don't think are that hot are seen as hot by other people? ...And some of the men on here say that a woman is only as valuable as her attractiveness. Honestly - would you want this for yourself? Would you want people to tell you that you reach your prime at 25 - and that your only worth as a human being is based on your looks - which are all down hill after 25? Like I said - get over it.
I kinda think that the sexual attraction motivates the average guy's evaluation of a woman's beauty rather than how wonderfully she is made as human being. This makes it hard to appreciate her as othern than his ideal sexual fantasy, epecially if she loses whatever atribute that caught his attention, such as pregnancy and the additional weight that it brings, coming to grips with the fact that she is only human with real-life issues just like him and God forbid, aging. Gasp! Men through our own unrealistic conditioning, are very sadly out of touch with reality and more importantly, just as estranged from women. And vice versa.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Actually no. They've done countless studies on this: Men overrate themselves on many things from looks to intelligence to financial knowledge, much more than women do. Evolutionarily, this does make sense since we are the ones that have to ask out women. If we didn't rate ourselves so highly, this species would cease to exist.
I do think part of this is because men are expected to have so much confidence...

Old 05-09-2012, 10:48 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
WHAT??? I mean, WHAT??? Honestly - most women are not trying to compete against men for attractiveness. Most women are trying to make themselves attractive FOR men or for themselves.

I think you need to take a step back and really think about what you are feeling. It doesn't make any sense.
I've heard 'women dress up as much for themselves/each other as men' a lot too...it just seems some of you invest so much of your image and self-worth in it, like your existence revolves around it...but yes, of course they do, there's also a power play in this. Women may fuss about their looks, pretending they're insecure and think they're ugly, but many, I'm sure, secretly laud over the fact they are the candy and men are the dogs.

I'm talking a significant percent, obviously not all...this thinking probably at least crosses most women's minds, though.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
If you have resentment, then maybe you should work on fixing something within yourself instead of coming to a message board read by millions of people and writing things disparaging women as a gender that you certainly must know will be read by thousands of women.

What people who write threads like yours fail to realize--and I'm talking to all of you out there who do this, men or women--is that all it does is make your issues glaringly obvious. Yes, after reading months of this tripe, people do figure you out.

The irony is that lashing out like that only makes your own situation worse. It's not productive for anyone. You may feel that you've gotten something off your chest, but unless you are a complete and absolute loser, knowing that you go around annoying people cannot possibly make you feel better about yourself.
Well I was hoping that maybe some here might get what I'm saying, or see things my way...or help me through my 'issues. Perhaps what you're saying is part of that process too. I don't start threads with an agenda in mind, I'm just a curious person who likes to get under the skin of things.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:51 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
I've heard 'women dress up as much for themselves/each other as men' a lot too...it just seems some of you invest so much of your image and self-worth in it, like your existence revolves around it...but yes, of course they do, there's also a power play in this. Women may fuss about their looks, pretending they're insecure and think they're ugly, but many, I'm sure, secretly laud over the fact they are the candy and men are the dogs.

I'm talking a significant percent, obviously not all...this thinking probably at least crosses most women's minds, though.
I think you should stick to trying to get rid of your own insecurities, jealousies, bitterness, etc. and less time imagining what it is you think women are thinking - because you have no clue. When I feel like I look good and when I get compliments - it makes me feel good. I don't think that I'm the candy and men are the dogs - that's ridiculous.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
I kinda think that the sexual attraction motivates the average guy's evaluation of a woman's beauty rather than how wonderfully she is made as human being. This makes it hard to appreciate her as othern than his ideal sexual fantasy, epecially if she loses whatever atribute that caught his attention, such as pregnancy and the additional weight that it brings, coming to grips with the fact that she is only human with real-life issues just like him and God forbid, aging. Gasp! Men through our own unrealistic conditioning, are very sadly out of touch with reality and more importantly, just as estranged from women. And vice versa.
Yes, I think my post is as much a critique of men's objectification of women as anything else. Reminding people that women are human too, not simply an object of attraction. Not to say women are unattractive as a whole - I said in my OP I think they're on par with men, but in a different way of course. I genuinely find plenty of women overrated in the looks department, but a sizable majority I would have to say are overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.