Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 12:31 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,899,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
There are plenty of other books out there and they cite studies that you're free to look at. As far as the diet being restrictive, so what? Most people dwell on how they'll have to give up their favorite foods. To me, it's worth it if it means being healthier and in better shape. And it's not like I eliminate junk food 100%. I've just learned to have it in very limited amounts.
If you look at the book he is even restrictive about fruit, and other healthy foods.

To the point a diet is very restrictive, it means people won't stay on it as long.

But beyond that, if you are cooking and buying foods for a family, it makes it much harder to plan meals if you don't eat the foods that your family enjoys.

I think there are some good points to paleo and wheat belly. The amount of foods that are restricted or banned makes these diets not have widespread appeal though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 12:48 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Dieting does not mean paleo. Especially for bodybuilders. I know tons of very competitive ones. I have never heard or read of any of them eating strictly paleo. Some may, however it's FAR from a requirement for success. This thread and the merits of paleo are not related. One does not need paleo to look good.

So no. They arent related. Quit using the thread to push your unrelated pwrsonal beliefs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Learn to read. Discussing one's beliefs isn't the same as promoting them. And if you'd bother to read the thread, you'd realize I didn't bring up Paleo. Someone else did. I was merely responding to their gross mischaracterization of it.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:17 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
If you look at the book he is even restrictive about fruit, and other healthy foods.

To the point a diet is very restrictive, it means people won't stay on it as long.

But beyond that, if you are cooking and buying foods for a family, it makes it much harder to plan meals if you don't eat the foods that your family enjoys.

I think there are some good points to paleo and wheat belly. The amount of foods that are restricted or banned makes these diets not have widespread appeal though.
Yes, it is restrictive with fruit and for good reason. So many of today's leading health problems are directly related to insulin management. People eat junk, keep their blood sugar elevated all the time, which leads to insulin resistance, and then a whole slew of problems. Therefore, managing your insulin levels is critical. Fruit may be healthier than donuts, but it still raises your blood sugar. This is something diabetics know all about. And fruit is normally seasonal. Humans managed just fine by not being able to fruit year round.

A diet, any diet, is restrictive by nature. That's why Paleo will never have mainstream appeal. Bosco seems to think that invalidates Paleo. But that's like saying a movie is bad just because it didn't sell a lot of tickets. IMO, you just have to decide what your goals are and how much you're willing to sacrifice. Eating Paleo isn't easy, but I even see families who do it. You'd think the kids would get upset over not being able to eat pizza all the time like their friends. But then they look at their friends who are fat, diabetic, and diagnosed with ADD. I've seen parents whose kids no longer suffer from asthma when they switched to Paleo. I doubt you'll hear those parents complaining about how hard it is to eat that way.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:21 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,944,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Dieting does not mean paleo. Especially for bodybuilders. I know tons of very competitive ones. I have never heard or read of any of them eating strictly paleo. Some may, however it's FAR from a requirement for success. This thread and the merits of paleo are not related. One does not need paleo to look good.

So no. They arent related. Quit using the thread to push your unrelated pwrsonal beliefs.

The paleo diet is the latest fad diet that's based around pseudoscience, dogmatism, and historical revisionism . I would take what they're saying with a grain of salt. Based on the threads I see you posting in the fitness forum and on here, I imagine you already eat a lot of lean, healthy, nutritionally dense, non processed foods. When it comes to diet, that's all anyone needs to do to stay healthy.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:19 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,379,395 times
Quote:
Learn to read. Discussing one's beliefs isn't the same as promoting them. And if you'd bother to read the thread, you'd realize I didn't bring up Paleo. Someone else did. I was merely responding to their gross mischaracterization of it.
You should post some pics. I'd love to see the perfect male physique via the paleo diet. I posted a pic earlier with no paleo diet, you must be far more aesthetically appealing.

That is what the thread is about after all. The perfect male physique. You are arguing that people need paleo to develop it. You are the one arguing and backing it so vigilantly. So lets keep the thread on topic with some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post

The paleo diet is the latest fad diet that's based around pseudoscience, dogmatism, and historical revisionism . I would take what they're saying with a grain of salt. Based on the threads I see you posting in the fitness forum and on here, I imagine you already eat a lot of lean, healthy, nutritionally dense, non processed foods. When it comes to diet, that's all anyone needs to do to stay healthy.
Exactly. I strive to eat very healthy and do so. Yet I dont remove the satisfation of a delicious bowl of ice cream out of my life either.

I'm all for diets, but I'm also for the occasional moderate cheat meal.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:52 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
Quote:
A diet, any diet, is restrictive by nature. That's why Paleo will never have mainstream appeal. Bosco seems to think that invalidates Paleo.
LOL! Nope, not what I said, Denny boy. The restrictions based on complete farces is what invalidates it. Would think an engineer would have better reading and comprehension skills than that.

And for the record, I've been on diets MUCH more restrictive than Paleo.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:46 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,309,211 times
A woman will say she won't like muscles but she won't be complaining when you take off your shirt.

If you want to get cut, don't do it for a chick do it for your health (although it'll help you get notches in the long run as well).

Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKidMaadCity View Post

Post pictures.

This thread is basically useless without pictures.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:33 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,899,421 times
Quote:
Yes, it is restrictive with fruit and for good reason. So many of today's leading health problems are directly related to insulin management. People eat junk, keep their blood sugar elevated all the time, which leads to insulin resistance, and then a whole slew of problems. Therefore, managing your insulin levels is critical. Fruit may be healthier than donuts, but it still raises your blood sugar. This is something diabetics know all about. And fruit is normally seasonal. Humans managed just fine by not being able to fruit year round.

A diet, any diet, is restrictive by nature. That's why Paleo will never have mainstream appeal. Bosco seems to think that invalidates Paleo. But that's like saying a movie is bad just because it didn't sell a lot of tickets. IMO, you just have to decide what your goals are and how much you're willing to sacrifice. Eating Paleo isn't easy, but I even see families who do it. You'd think the kids would get upset over not being able to eat pizza all the time like their friends. But then they look at their friends who are fat, diabetic, and diagnosed with ADD. I've seen parents whose kids no longer suffer from asthma when they switched to Paleo. I doubt you'll hear those parents complaining about how hard it is to eat that way.
I actually know quite a bit about blood sugar and insulin. Fruit in a certain amount will raise blood sugar for diabetics. That doesn't mean they can't have it, it just means they need to monitor the serving size. This guy wrote this book for the general public, the majority of whom won't develop diabetes.

So by your post if one doesn't normally have access to a food they shouldn't eat it...does that mean I should only eat foods that would have been locally available in the paleo days.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:15 AM

810 posts, read 1,808,985 times
Uh, last I checked, wasn't this the relationships forum? Can we stop with the Paleo vs. Non-Paleo debate? It's getting a bit obnoxious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships