Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 01:49 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,985 times

Advertisements

And also, remember this:

Yes, as was said before, women generally prefer fit men, but keep in mind that there are many different types of "fit" out there based on whatever activity said person is doing, and that no one activity or build is superior to the others. One thing I despise is when people actively try to make themselves look superior and others inferior because they practice a sport or discipline over another, and that that particular activity is "superior" to whatever the other person is doing. Back when I was into bodybuilding, I had a "friend" of mine who got really into Crossfit, and every time I talked to him about the workout I did that day, he would emphasize why his workout was superior to mine (hence why we aren't friends anymore.) He kept saying "Oh, you're only training for aesthetics, whereas I have better functional strength and can perform better at more activities and sports." Yes, that's great, but at the time I didn't CARE about functional strength or endurance, but simply wanted to focus on my appearance. The same thing applies to a couple bodybuilders I trained with who would call powerlifters fat schlubs. Yes, they aren't lean and defined, but they're not trying to be nor do they want to be.

I encourage everyone to get fit, but at the same time I encourage everybody to have a goal on the body type they want or a goal to improve on an activity or sports that they desire. Whether that be dance, soccer, basketball, baseball, wrestling, jiu jitsu, boxing, mma, muay thai, weightlifting, powerlifting, bodybuilding, cricket, hockey, whatever, get out there and do it! There are so many activities out there, and they all have their own benefits. Find what you want to do and go for it; don't let anyone else, be it other athletes or what you perceive women to want, influence you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 01:52 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
And also, remember this:

Yes, as was said before, women generally prefer fit men, but keep in mind that there are many different types of "fit" out there based on whatever activity said person is doing, and that no one activity or build is superior to the others. One thing I despise is when people actively try to make themselves look superior and others inferior because they practice a sport or discipline over another, and that that particular activity is "superior" to whatever the other person is doing. Back when I was into bodybuilding, I had a "friend" of mine who got really into Crossfit, and every time I talked to him about the workout I did that day, he would emphasize why his workout was superior to mine (hence why we aren't friends anymore.) He kept saying "Oh, you're only training for aesthetics, whereas I have better functional strength and can perform better at more activities and sports." Yes, that's great, but at the time I didn't CARE about functional strength or endurance, but simply wanted to focus on my appearance. The same thing applies to a couple bodybuilders I trained with who would call powerlifters fat schlubs. Yes, they aren't lean and defined, but they're not trying to be nor do they want to be.

I encourage everyone to get fit, but at the same time I encourage everybody to have a goal on the body type they want or a goal to improve on an activity or sports that they desire. Whether that be dance, soccer, basketball, baseball, wrestling, jiu jitsu, boxing, mma, muay thai, weightlifting, powerlifting, bodybuilding, cricket, hockey, whatever, get out there and do it! There are so many activities out there, and they all have their own benefits. Find what you want to do and go for it; don't let anyone else, be it other athletes or what you perceive women to want, influence you.
People into crossfit or the Paleo diet are THE WORST from my experience.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:09 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,301,533 times
Many women are much more interested in the way they look next to you than your own personal aesthetics. Often they want to be both shorter and narrower than the man. I once dated a girl who didn't want the relationship to proceed beyond casual because standing next to me gave her a complex. Aside from that, fit women tend to prefer fit men. Also, in many cases women prefer men with a build similar to their father.

Overall, bulking up to impress women is a losing proposition in most cases. If anything, toned arms and defined abs are far more important than bulk.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:26 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,090,073 times
As mentioned, "fit" is subjective. You have all different types and preferences, from power lifters, to swimmers, to climbers, and everywhere in between. I think all women really prefer is that you don't have a gut and look proportional.

However, lifting or doing any exercise to "look good" just makes me roll my eyes. I think if you tell most women that is the reason you work out, they are going to be turned off. If you want to look good via muscles, just get some synthol, pop that in your biceps and youre all set. All show no go.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:41 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,379,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
However, lifting or doing any exercise to "look good" just makes me roll my eyes. I think if you tell most women that is the reason you work out, they are going to be turned off. If you want to look good via muscles, just get some synthol, pop that in your biceps and youre all set. All show no go.
This post is a joke. Top level bodybuilders are some of the most dedicated athletes in the world. Their diet is probably the most intense of all athletes, and their training is right on par with the best..

Why does someone have to lift "for" something. My hobbies would include things like snowboarding and mountain biking, they are just hobbies. I have no desire to be a top tier athlete in them. I also like weight lifting.

Obviously you have never had any type of "impressive" bodybuilding/aesthetic type physique to make that comment of what women want. I would tell girls all the time I would like to enter a bodybuilding competition and no one ever rolled their eyes. Please don't advise any more on men's physiques and womens preferences, as I'm speaking from first hand experience. Most girls don't really care if a guy is training to be better at whatever. If he looks AMAZING naked she would probably enjoy it that much more.

What do I know, I only train for aesthetics and can personally vouch that a LOT of girls have been plenty happy with how my body looks. It gets rather old actually and starts to make one wonder if they would still get laid so much if they were small and out of shape... Then I remember I did, but definitely on a slightly smaller scale and it actually took a bit of work.

When you get in shape to a certain extent it would not matter what the reason is you're in shape. You could tell plenty of girls you're in shape to get laid more, and the response would probably be, "perfect, because that's what you're going to get."

Old 06-17-2013, 02:52 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,354,326 times
peeing contest?

Old 06-17-2013, 03:03 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,090,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
This post is a joke. Top level bodybuilders are some of the most dedicated athletes in the world. Their diet is probably the most intense of all athletes, and their training is right on par with the best..

Why does someone have to lift "for" something. My hobbies would include things like snowboarding and mountain biking, they are just hobbies. I have no desire to be a top tier athlete in them. I also like weight lifting.

Obviously you have never had any type of "impressive" bodybuilding/aesthetic type physique to make that comment of what women want. I would tell girls all the time I would like to enter a bodybuilding competition and no one ever rolled their eyes. Please don't advise any more on men's physiques and womens preferences, as I'm speaking from first hand experience. Most girls don't really care if a guy is training to be better at whatever. If he looks AMAZING naked she would probably enjoy it that much more.

What do I know, I only train for aesthetics and can personally vouch that a LOT of girls have been plenty happy with how my body looks. It gets rather old actually and starts to make one wonder if they would still get laid so much if they were small and out of shape... Then I remember I did, but definitely on a slightly smaller scale and it actually took a bit of work.

When you get in shape to a certain extent it would not matter what the reason is you're in shape. You could tell plenty of girls you're in shape to get laid more, and the response would probably be, "perfect, because that's what you're going to get."
You're basing your opinion all on your ability to get laid. I was referring to women that are interested in more than just a quick bang. Someone that just works out only for looks just screams narcissism. Which kind of sounds like you from your post.

I don't doubt having a good body will attract those material girls quicker, I guess it depends on what you want.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:14 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,379,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
You're basing your opinion all on your ability to get laid. I was referring to women that are interested in more than just a quick bang. Someone that just works out only for looks just screams narcissism. Which kind of sounds like you from your post.

I don't doubt having a good body will attract those material girls quicker, I guess it depends on what you want.
So wearing nice clothes on a date isn't narcissistic? Girls getting their hair done? Nails done? Wearing makeup? All equally narcissistic in my book. I may care about my physique, but I still wear my sweatpant shorts nearly everywhere I go. I shave like once a week and have a pretty solid beard most of the time. I usually wear hats cause I don't feel like doing my hair. I don't really care "what" I look like. I just have aesthetic goals that I wish to attain.

The difference between all the stuff I mentioned above and exercising, is exercising is healthy. When many girls see a very fit guy they know he exercises and takes care of his health, most likely his diet too, and many bodybuilders don't drink alcohol, etc.

Personally, I prefer girls who don't wear makeup. I will almost definitely not date a girl who wears fake nails. I hate dyed hair. I do like girls that are somewhat "fit" however. (Oddly enough, all these categories are my girlfriend to a T)

You're generalization about the type of girls that go after fit guys is poor at best. Do the superficial stupid girls go after fit guys? Absolutely! Do successful girls that like exercise also prefer guys that also exercise? Absolutely!

Very very very few girls would specifically not date a guy because he lifted because he wanted to attain an aesthetically proportioned physique. Far more would not date guys who aren't into exercise at all. And also, if you don't look like you exercise, and try telling girls how much "exercise you do" they will probably just assume you are doing something wrong.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:16 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
All of them

Otherwise, how can he chew his food or walk or tie his shoes, etc?

Old 06-17-2013, 03:21 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post

The difference between all the stuff I mentioned above and exercising, is exercising is healthy. When many girls see a very fit guy they know he exercises and takes care of his health, most likely his diet too, and many bodybuilders don't drink alcohol, etc.
A lot of guys who work out a lot tend to think that women look at them and see (or care about) all the hard work and dedication they put into themselves yadda yadda. Hate to break it to you, but while they may be thinking, "he's got a nice body!" they're probably not thinking "he must such a hard worker!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships