Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 08:49 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,647,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Beyond their elitist attitude and cult like obsessions, which were pretty well represented in Gatsby's post?
Hmm. Generalizing about an entire group of people based on a few extremists who aren't even representative of the group. They have a name for people like you.

Quote:
In a nutshell, it's like a normal Mediterranean diet except it excludes dairy and grain products on rationale that is completely false and not based on any real scientific evidence. Their whole mantra is to basically eat like our ancient ancestors ate (hence the "paleo" of paleolithic).

Side effects include the suckage of excluding good foods and a strong likelihood of deluding oneself into believing they are some sort of modern day mongol warrior.

Thankfully, it never really caught on outside of the Crossfit community. I guess quackery...much like misery...enjoys company.
Like so many of your other posts, this one demonstrates both your ignorance and arrogance. The premise behind the Paleo Diet is sound. Anyone with even a basic understanding of evolution should understand it. It's a very simple concept. Eat the foods that exist in nature and haven't been heavily processed. Avoid the things that were created by man. Gee. What a novel idea. And yet you call it quackery. Why? Because Paleo advises people to stop eating dairy. Explain to me why it makes sense to consume food meant for infants, and not even human infants. Or explain how bread doesn't qualify as fake food. Show me where bread exists in nature. BTW, Paleo has gone way beyond the Crossfit community. I knew about Paleo long before I ever heard of Crossfit and almost everyone I know that follows Paleo ISN'T into Crossfit. You also talk about the side effects of Paleo. Well here's some of the side effects I've experienced. 10% body fat, a 29" waist, lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, lower triglycerides, lower resting heart rate, healthier skin, no more breakouts, no seasonal allergies, more energy, no more hair loss, better moods. Oh and I never have to count calories or grams of anything. Oh and I only have to exercise 30 minutes a day now. Lastly, I haven't given up the foods I enjoy. I still indulge in the occasional burger, pizza, or slice of cake.

It's funny listening to guys like you who think you know what you're talking about when what it's obvious you don't have a clue. You say the Paleo Diet has no scientific backing. What a sad way to live, sitting around waiting for the scientific community to catch up. I remember when the medical establishment said smoking was safe or that weight training was bad for your joints or when they were telling us to eat a high carb/low fat diet. Funny how the people who listened to the scientific community ended up getting fat and sick while the people who dared to think for themselves are now the ones whose "quackery" is being validated. Results speak for themselves and I and others like me have the results to say that what we're doing not only works, but has far more benefits than any of us expected. When someone like me eliminates seasonal allergies just by cutting out bread, you can't dismiss that as crackpot theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 09:00 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKidMaadCity View Post
I just need to get the perfect body and get buff.
Here's the thing...it's not about "muscles", it's about strength.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:50 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Hmm. Generalizing about an entire group of people based on a few extremists who aren't even representative of the group. They have a name for people like you.
Considering that I am very active in the fitness community and deal with/talk to Crossfitters every single day, for several years, I can tell you with absolute certainty that my sample size goes beyond a "few extremists." The attitude that Gatsby described is basically lock step with my own experiences and those of many, many other people.

You can try to write it off as a few extremists if that helps you sleep at night, but just remember you're talking about a program founded by an idiot with no education in health/fitness related science who pushed said program on the back of the cultist/elitist attitude, so you're fighting a losing battle.

Quote:
Like so many of your other posts, this one demonstrates both your ignorance and arrogance. The premise behind the Paleo Diet is sound. Anyone with even a basic understanding of evolution should understand it. It's a very simple concept. Eat the foods that exist in nature and haven't been heavily processed. Avoid the things that were created by man. Gee. What a novel idea. And yet you call it quackery. Why? Because Paleo advises people to stop eating dairy. Explain to me why it makes sense to consume food meant for infants, and not even human infants. Or explain how bread doesn't qualify as fake food. Show me where bread exists in nature. BTW, Paleo has gone way beyond the Crossfit community. I knew about Paleo long before I ever heard of Crossfit and almost everyone I know that follows Paleo ISN'T into Crossfit. You also talk about the side effects of Paleo. Well here's some of the side effects I've experienced. 10% body fat, a 29" waist, lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, lower triglycerides, lower resting heart rate, healthier skin, no more breakouts, no seasonal allergies, more energy, no more hair loss, better moods. Oh and I never have to count calories or grams of anything. Oh and I only have to exercise 30 minutes a day now. Lastly, I haven't given up the foods I enjoy. I still indulge in the occasional burger, pizza, or slice of cake.

It's funny listening to guys like you who think you know what you're talking about when what it's obvious you don't have a clue. You say the Paleo Diet has no scientific backing. What a sad way to live, sitting around waiting for the scientific community to catch up. I remember when the medical establishment said smoking was safe or that weight training was bad for your joints or when they were telling us to eat a high carb/low fat diet. Funny how the people who listened to the scientific community ended up getting fat and sick while the people who dared to think for themselves are now the ones whose "quackery" is being validated. Results speak for themselves and I and others like me have the results to say that what we're doing not only works, but has far more benefits than any of us expected. When someone like me eliminates seasonal allergies just by cutting out bread, you can't dismiss that as crackpot theory.
LULZ, it appears I hurt Denny's little Paleo feelings. I'll try to be quick with my rebuttal.

1) I understand the concept behind Paleo perfectly. That concept it wrong. It's based on a false premise that "natural" foods are inherently good for you while man made or processed foods are bad or inferior. That is simply not true at all and thus the entire basis for Paleo falls flat on its face right out of the gate.

2) The Paleo community is the one taking the position that grains and dairy are unhealthy, thus the onus is on them to prove their claims, not on us to disprove it. There proof is based on the aforementioned false premise and the philosophy you elaborated in your post. Neither of those are based in science and neither of them are adequate rationale to abandon foods widely considered safe by food and health organizations the world over.

3) Literally LOL at the line about smoking and low fat diets. That's not the stupidest rebuttal I've read on the City Data forum this week, but it's probably in the top 10. Tell us, Denny boy, what happened then? That's right, science corrected itself, in relatively short order I might add.

I have a simple question for you. If your diet is as good as you say it is, why has it been ridiculed instead of embraced on the mainstream level?

4) Your anecdotal results could have been easily replicated on a better diet and are almost certainly a result of getting healthier rather than some sort of Paleo voodoo magic.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:58 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
That may describe the people you've encountered, but it doesn't describe me or anyone else I know who follows Paleo. The only time I even mention Paleo is when someone asks me about it. For example, if they ask why I don't eat bread or why I look younger than my age, then I'll explain what Paleo is. But even then, I won't go into a lot of detail unless the person is genuinely interested in listening. I also don't go around telling people to adopt my way of eating. Sure there are times when I see someone eating something I know is bad for them, but I don't tell them why they should stop. It's their health so they can ruin it if they want.

I've seen posts like yours before when the topic of Paleo comes up. There's always someone who complains that the Paleo people can't stop talking about it. How terrible for you? A group of your friends talking about something that interests them, that they're clearly passionate about. Some of my friends sit around talking about football. I don't follow sports, but I don't complain that they talk about it. Likewise, I have relatives who are doctors. When we get together, they almost always talk about work. Do I complain? No. If it bothers you so much that your friends talk about Paleo all the time, why are you friends with them?
This kind of just proved my point... the passive aggressiveness, the 'mentioning' it in passing CONSTANTLY...no thanks. If you like Paleo that's great, but it's people who say 'Oh, you're eating bread? Fine, it's your health you can ruin it if you want'.

No different than most of the vegans I know.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:36 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,354,326 times
I've been on the Paleo diet for ten years, and have never bragged or imposed it on anyone. Sure, I have suggested it to my family and friends; which none have the desire nor will power to be on a no-pocessed food diet.

I'm not saying it's the best diet, but the best one for me, and wouldn't eat any other way.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:49 PM

664 posts, read 1,036,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Here's the thing...it's not about "muscles", it's about strength.
"Inner strength"

Lone Wolf McQuade (Best Scene) - YouTube

Old 06-18-2013, 04:10 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,985 times
Quote:
Beyond their elitist attitude and cult like obsessions, which were pretty well represented in Gatsby's post?

In a nutshell, it's like a normal Mediterranean diet except it excludes dairy and grain products on rationale that is completely false and not based on any real scientific evidence. Their whole mantra is to basically eat like our ancient ancestors ate (hence the "paleo" of paleolithic).

Side effects include the suckage of excluding good foods and a strong likelihood of deluding oneself into believing they are some sort of modern day mongol warrior.

Thankfully, it never really caught on outside of the Crossfit community. I guess quackery...much like misery...enjoys company.

The sheer lunacy of Crossfit makes for some solid entertainment.

(adult language warning)

CrossFit or Seizure? - YouTube

2 Crossfitters 1 Chalk Bucket - YouTube
Let me clarify on the bolded. I DO NOT think that my former friend is representative of the entire Crossfit community. I did not say that as a means of criticizing Crossfit and the people who engage in it. I merely referenced it because I hate it when people insist on looking down at others who don't engage in their particular sport or activity. My comment was not to say that the entire Crossfit community is comprised of douches, but rather that guy was a ginormous douche himself.

We would be a lot better as a society if we stopped trying to inflate our own egos with what we do. Someone who trains to look more muscular or more "fit" isn't vain unless they present themselves as such. Likewise, being obsessive about something (and don't give me that cliche of "obsessed is a word that the lazy call the dedicated" crap argument) is never good. "Obsessed" and "dedicated" are two distinct different adjectives.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:07 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I've been on the Paleo diet for ten years, and have never bragged or imposed it on anyone. Sure, I have suggested it to my family and friends; which none have the desire nor will power to be on a no-pocessed food diet.

I'm not saying it's the best diet, but the best one for me, and wouldn't eat any other way.
Ugh. I really hate the passive aggressiveness.... THIS is what I hate about people who follow diets like that.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:54 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,155,431 times
My wife has always said she likes the physique of a man who's "work fit" not "workout fit".

Old 06-18-2013, 06:14 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,668 times
I prefer lean men - some muscle, but not a lot, and lower body fat so you see the muscle definition. Kind of a "swimmer's body", often seen on surfers, & on swimmers obviously.

Being well-proportioned matters as much or more than amount of muscle though.

That's ideal though. I've dated super skinny & pleasantly chubby before. I draw the line at fat, but that's me. Some women like those bog teddy bear kinda guys. Or they like stocky types with muscle but fat over it so they're not defined looking.

I think the main benefits of working out will be:
- being healthier
- FEELING better about your body, which seems more significant in being attractive than simply having a great body
- more energy / better mood - also makes you more attractive & just plain happier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships