Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 07:52 AM

240 posts, read 240,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Actually marriage is beneficial for men. Married men tend to be healthier and live longer than single or divorced men.

Marriage and Men's Health - Harvard Health Publications

A major survey of 127,545 American adults found that married men are healthier than men who were never married or whose marriages ended in divorce or widowhood. Men who have marital partners also live longer than men without spouses; men who marry after age 25 get more protection than those who tie the knot at a younger age, and the longer a man stays married, the greater his survival advantage over his unmarried peers.

We're going to trot out this broken down old horse again?

This study and it's biases have been beaten to death.

Perhaps one of the most hilarious parts of it is that it mentions how bad outcomes for divorced men are, and 50% of those men that are married can expect to become divorced. Lol....talk about cognitive dissonance.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:56 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobarX View Post
Interesting because when I walk around at work or in public I notice men with a ring on their finger and the majority are all fat and out of shape.
Really? I notice the EXACT opposite. And my experience is backed up by the Harvard study.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:59 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,149,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
A and D only.

My wife and I have never done any "big parties," and certainly a lot of living-together couples do.
I didn't buy her a diamond ring until our 20th anniversary (which was 11 years ago)

But, yeah, announcing marriage does bring some social expectations, like fidelity and commitment.
And it does involve legally binding contractural agreements, requiring fidelity and commitment.

Not things that frighten real men who are truly in love.
If you think being married is going to stop somebody from cheating on you then I have some beach front property in Arizonia I want to sell you.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:02 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,149,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh, good grief! You didn't recognize obvious sarcasm?

*sighhh*

Whether or not marriage is "essential" for men, plenty of them are into it without prodding. Especially if they want kids. It's kids that marriage is most essential for.
That's the ONLY reason why I would get married is to have children.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:04 AM

323 posts, read 308,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceShamWow View Post
I'd take it a step further, he probably sees that marriage CAN'T benefit him, it can only be a risk and a detriment for a man.

All of the women who are tired of seeing this situation play out should be petitioning their local, state and federal legislators to make changes to the confiscatory and putative "family" (lol) court system in this country.
Aye, but smart guys will realize that any law that can be changed to make The System less horrid for men, can be changed right back again once enough guys have put their heads in the noose.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:05 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,777 times
Whatever for those studies. When you cut the B.S and get down to the nitty gritty the fact is that the OP went into this without clearly communicating her expectations and she is living to regret it. The only person she can blame for that is herself for assuming that they were on the same page before she moved-in. You can't make a man want to be married or want to be married to you. The only thing you have control over is how long you are willing to wait and if you're o.k with living with him without the ring.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:06 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
There are always people that try to turn every thread into "marriage sucks for men!!!" - but this thread isn't really about whether or not marriage is good or bad. It's simply about someone who wants to get married and someone who doesn't. It's not about convincing someone that marriage is good or bad - it's simply about seeing if two people who are not on the same page at this time regarding their future can still make things work or not.

Personally, I've been with men that couldn't wait to marry me and men that dragged their feet about it. I married someone that couldn't wait to marry me and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:18 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,307,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Did I say "marry?" I did not say marry. I said that the man never expressed that he was committed to her for life.

Now you go to that couple you know and ask the woman if the man ever expressed his lifetime commitment to her for life. I'll bet he did.

A man who says it might not do it. A man who won't say it doesn't plan to do it.
The OP said marriage. Unless I missed it in the 20 pages of discussion, we don't know what the BF said, other than he's not ready for marriage.

But my point is, and has been (if you read all my posts in this thread) that SOME people are committed "now", and are not willing to promise about how they will feel in 20-30 years from now. My comments were basically that IF that is the case, then the OP needs to decide if she can live with that or not. IF she can't, THEN maybe she needs to consider leaving. But the immediate calls to leave ('give up on') this relationship, just because he won't marry her are, in my opinion, premature and misguided.

As for the couple I know, and many others, (I'm guessing) they did NOT say they are committed for life. They said they are committed for now, and for tomorrow, and for as long as they feel that way. That if they ever grow apart, they'd be thankful for the time they had together. They have not grown apart (as more than 50% of married couples have). IMO, it's a healthy way of realistically looking at things. It's not for everyone, hence my understanding that IF it's not for OP, she may THEN need to rethink the relationship.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:19 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Personally, I've been with men that couldn't wait to marry me and men that dragged their feet about it. I married someone that couldn't wait to marry me and I wouldn't want it any other way.
this is exactly the point

marriage often requires an ultimatum on the woman's part.

if a woman wants to get married, then a guy who doesn't want marriage must be treated as unsuitable.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:24 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
I'd really question the validity of that study. I wonder if they factored out things like criminal history, incarceration. That is, did they take men in say similar middle class situations, and then compare married or single. I'd guess there is really very little difference.

IMHO, the Op is being very self centered. She has changed her mind and wants to get married now. He doesn't want to change his mind, so he is a bad person? Why is that? Why is it always about her happiness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships