Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 07:36 AM

240 posts, read 240,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Seven years that he was purportedly getting ready based on set material goals. They've reached the material goals they had set and he's still "not ready." All but one of their friends have gotten married, so it's not as though it was out of sight. He's in his thirties, "a grown-ass man."

Nothing baseless about an extrapolation of "he doesn't want to get married."
Yes, it's completely baseless, because that's not what OP's BF said, which is all you have to go on. All you people who are projecting all these different bad qualities on OP's partner are the ones who have issues.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:38 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceShamWow View Post
Hear that, guys? "Man up" and marry those girls! You're not a "real man" if you can't be properly shamed into marriage.

Good lord I'm glad this is an institution that is dying.

If current trends continue, the marriage rate will hit near zero around 2050.

Ain't no shame in marriage.

A real man commits. Sorry, boys, but that's the way it is. A real man commits to something. It may be to his wife, it may be to his comrades, it may be to his country, it may be to his God. It might even be to all of them.

But a real man commits to something.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:42 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How would you know? You're supposedly a new member.
Exactly

Old 06-02-2014, 07:46 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
I'd take it a step further, he probably sees that marriage CAN'T benefit him, it can only be a risk and a detriment for a man.

All of the women who are tired of seeing this situation play out should be petitioning their local, state and federal legislators to make changes to the confiscatory and putative "family" (lol) court system in this country.
Actually marriage is beneficial for men. Married men tend to be healthier and live longer than single or divorced men.

Marriage and Men's Health - Harvard Health Publications

A major survey of 127,545 American adults found that married men are healthier than men who were never married or whose marriages ended in divorce or widowhood. Men who have marital partners also live longer than men without spouses; men who marry after age 25 get more protection than those who tie the knot at a younger age, and the longer a man stays married, the greater his survival advantage over his unmarried peers.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:46 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
I'd take it a step further, he probably sees that marriage CAN'T benefit him, it can only be a risk and a detriment for a man.

All of the women who are tired of seeing this situation play out should be petitioning their local, state and federal legislators to make changes to the confiscatory and putative "family" (lol) court system in this country.
nah, that's taking it a bit far

Old 06-02-2014, 07:48 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Writer Robert Heinlein said, "Love is when another person's happiness is essential to your own." Her happiness is clearly not essential to his.
This is really the crux of it, to me. If you are really devoted to a person, then each partner wants to do whatever they can to make the other happy.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Ain't no shame in marriage.

A real man commits. Sorry, boys, but that's the way it is. A real man commits to something. It may be to his wife, it may be to his comrades, it may be to his country, it may be to his God. It might even be to all of them.

But a real man commits to something.
Hahahaha....that is so full of the White Knight's creed, man-shaming and sexist gender stereotypes that I don't even know what to do with it.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:49 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
announcing marriage does bring some social expectations, like fidelity and commitment.
And it does involve legally binding contractural agreements, requiring fidelity and commitment.

Not things that frighten real men who are truly in love.
Fear is just an emotion. i'm not talking about emotions.

i'm talking about the rational calculation of risk:reward

imagine if a man delivered the following ultimatum: "If you really loved me, you wouldn't need to marry me."

Quote:
Writer Robert Heinlein said, "Love is when another person's happiness is essential to your own." Her happiness is clearly not essential to his.
again, what happens when we flip this on its head? what if a man pulls out the card: "Not being married is essential to my happiness."

do we then conclude that the woman who wants to marry him, by definition, doesn't love him?

Old 06-02-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Exactly
So neither of you can argue on the facts, so you resort to accusing me of trolling.

Nice.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:50 AM

52 posts, read 45,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Actually marriage is beneficial for men. Married men tend to be healthier and live longer than single or divorced men.

Marriage and Men's Health - Harvard Health Publications

A major survey of 127,545 American adults found that married men are healthier than men who were never married or whose marriages ended in divorce or widowhood. Men who have marital partners also live longer than men without spouses; men who marry after age 25 get more protection than those who tie the knot at a younger age, and the longer a man stays married, the greater his survival advantage over his unmarried peers.
Interesting because when I walk around at work or in public I notice men with a ring on their finger and the majority are all fat and out of shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships