Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 06:59 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I must be far older than you. I am guessing you are early high school. The idea of "bases" is something I have not heard of since then. Ohhh I touched her breast! How exciting! Titter titter. Giggle giggle.
Right???

In the immortal words of Elaine Benes on Seinfeld:

"I'd watch the third base coach if I were you 'cause I don't think he's waving you in."

I agree with Meta: No magic number; up to the two people involved to decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 07:22 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
This article appears to be written Cosmopolitan magazine style, with little substance.

It completely lost me with the opening sentence:

There was a time when sex rarely, if ever, preceded a marriage, let alone a relationship. But it's 2019 and that's just not the way the world works anymore. (Le sigh.)

I wonder what time frame the author is imagining this? I think it's likely that teenagers married as virgins - an 18 year old girl and a 20 year old guy might have - but after that, no. It's true that no women except prostitutes (and they have always been plentiful) would willingly have sex with a man she didn't consider herself to be in a relationship with, but premarital sex has always been common. People just didn't announce it so vulgarly, and girls who had sex with several men indiscriminately were shamed - but the men or boys knew who they were (and so did the girls) and went to them for easy sex.

I wonder what the author would have thought of Ogden Nash's line, in 1931, "Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker" meant? It meant, that a man "courting" a woman could get favors with candy, but more successfully by getting her drunk.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:25 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
DH and I waited until a few days before our first date. That was 40 years ago.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:39 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
My wife and I met when we worked at the same restaurant. The first time she put a ticket on the wheel, I fell head over heels in love. We made out right after work, had sex a day or two later, lived together for a year and were married exactly one year after we met. That was 1976 and she's sitting right beside me as I write this. Our relationship may not be by the books, but it works for us.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:04 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,036,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
From personal experience, every situation is different.

I have been in relationships where we waited for many months before becoming intimate, yet after intimacy, it soon faded and we broke up. So waiting is no guarantee.

But I do get the notion behind it. This is why you see so many celebrity couples break up so quickly. Their relationship was based on nothing more than physical sparks, and once that was over there was nothing else of any real substance behind the coupling.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/long...160000563.html
Good point, everyone is different. I had a situation where I was intimate with a woman I was dating, make-out sessions and so on. She wasn't ready to sleep together, which was fine, but I found it kind of odd that she was prudish when it came to me talking innuendo with her. Usually if you're in the make-out stage of a relationship, heavy petting, etc. Very passionate, just outside the clothes kind of stuff...you'd think a woman would be open to talking a little naughty. We've been out plenty of times. A few of those times were at her place.

The next woman, claimed she has a libido of a 25 year old man...and she was 50. When I told her about the previous relationship she was like "Pshhh,...what a prude!"

Old 08-25-2019, 08:46 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I wonder what time frame the author is imagining this? I think it's likely that teenagers married as virgins - an 18 year old girl and a 20 year old guy might have - but after that, no. It's true that no women except prostitutes (and they have always been plentiful) would willingly have sex with a man she didn't consider herself to be in a relationship with, but premarital sex has always been common. People just didn't announce it so vulgarly, and girls who had sex with several men indiscriminately were shamed - but the men or boys knew who they were (and so did the girls) and went to them for easy sex.
Maybe, but my older relatives (and former in-laws) all said that was why they got married so young ... because they were tired of waiting to have sex.

Old 08-25-2019, 12:52 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I must be far older than you. I am guessing you are early high school. The idea of "bases" is something I have not heard of since then. Ohhh I touched her breast! How exciting! Titter titter. Giggle giggle.
Mid-40s, actually. I don't think high school kids say that any more.

And my post was meant somewhat in jest, but there is a sound principle behind it. 5 dates is sufficient time to weed out the ones who are just looking for a hook-up, and you should know after 5 dates whether the person you are seeing is someone you can see yourself in a long-term relationship with. If they are, there is no reason to put off escalating to a sexual relationship. If they are not, there is no reason to continue seeing them.

Old 08-25-2019, 01:07 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Many men walk if they don't get sex on the first date. That is fact and reality.

Old 08-25-2019, 01:11 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
3rd date. I asked her to marry me on 2nd. 40 years later, still humming along. I could go on, even after all those years...

Old 08-25-2019, 01:13 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Many men walk if they don't get sex on the first date. That is fact and reality.
The problem with that type is they think they're 'getting' sex as some sort of commodity for themselves, instead of it being a close and personal shared connection between two people who are attracted to each other.

Probably the same guys who lament they don't get second dates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships