Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 08:11 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
By no means was there 6 inches of snow on the ground.... only a couple, however, it was snowing so hard that I could only see about 10 feet in front of me. The car I was driving was not at all set up to drive in the snow... 1976 Camaro with wide tires.....not suitable for RAIN, in fact. LOL I was at most 18 y.o. at the time and had never driven in the snow before...I was not from that part of the country. To me, it was a miracle. To you, maybe not. The point is....I prayed...the snow turned to rain and the snow on the ground disappeared.

P.S. Just curious.... would WOULD you consider a miracle? I mean, really.... I'm just curious, do you believe in miracles? If so, what would have to happen in order for you to consider it a miracle? Oh..... and living on the coast of Western Washington, yeah, I see that sort of thing every winter...but at the time.....
To me a miracle would have to be something that defeats the laws of nature....If I woke up tomorrow 20 years younger that would be to my liking, or perhaps the missing cartilage in my right knee could suddenly reappear......Uh, make that 30 years younger, as long as we are playing make believe anything is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 08:17 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,415,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Because man wants to live in darkness,they want to live in their own sins. I did not have to watch the video to figure the answer as it is apparent when we are living in sin, how can we be focusing on the Saviour.

We are focusing on worldly things with no aspirations of Heaven,plain and simple.
Which "sin" is that that "man wants to live in"?

Not worshipping your "savior"?

BTW, if I wanted to worship within a death cult...

Old 09-18-2009, 08:28 PM

87 posts, read 134,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
To me a miracle would have to be something that defeats the laws of nature....If I woke up tomorrow 20 years younger that would be to my liking, or perhaps the missing cartilage in my right knee could suddenly reappear......Uh, make that 30 years younger, as long as we are playing make believe anything is possible.
I always wonder when people say things like this: Assuming there's a God and he created the universe that means he also created the laws of nature. So why does everyone (theists and atheists) think that only him breaking them means he exists? Why would he break them? He's omniscient and already knew what would happen ahead of time so maybe he set things up to go the direction he wanted them to go in the first place (in terms of the laws of physics and all). Just a thought.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:30 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
It could be true. Thing is, we only have your word for it. I'm not saying that you lied, but I have no way of knowing whether the event actually happened, whether you might have been tricked or mistaken somehow, or if there is a natural explanation to the phenomenon.

I've linked to this video a couple of times already because it's so damn good (it's 10 min but worth every second), and the topic of "personal experiences of the unexplained" is addressed in the first three minutes:

YouTube - Open-mindedness

Your reasons to believe might be very good, or they might be nothing but delusions and confirmation bias. I have no way to know and thus cannot use your testimony as evidence of anything.
It is a very good video.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:45 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,111,153 times
As has already been stated, if I were to see something such as an amputated limb regrow, I'd have to seriously reconsider the idea of there being a higher power watching over us. That or perhaps a burn victim's skin restored to normal right in front of my face.

I want to see this happen in real life, of course, and be certain no gimmicks or trickery was involved.

Something like that is important because it's something we can all see for ourselves. It takes away the ambiguity of answered prayers and miracles.

We all live under the same random fortune, whether we're a hardcore believer or a strong atheist.

You could pray for 20 cancer patients and let's say one survives. Is it a miracle, or just random luck? What about the other 19 people who were prayed for and all dropped dead? I, as an atheist, could pray right now and have my prayers answered at the same rate of believers. I'd have some hits and misses just like everyone else would.

But forget about all that for a moment. As I've stated on these forums before, if there is a God and he wants to get a hold of me, he'll do it and I'll know it. He shouldn't need an army of believers trying to prove his realness to me using the tactics you see here.

Until that day happens (and honestly I'm not holding my breath), I'm gonna stick to him not being real as a very likely possibility.

Last edited by achickenchaser; 09-18-2009 at 10:01 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtue_summer View Post
I always wonder when people say things like this: Assuming there's a God and he created the universe that means he also created the laws of nature. So why does everyone (theists and atheists) think that only him breaking them means he exists? Why would he break them? He's omniscient and already knew what would happen ahead of time so maybe he set things up to go the direction he wanted them to go in the first place (in terms of the laws of physics and all). Just a thought.
So then he is to blame for my bum knee is he? Why would he do that? What did I ever do to him? He knows everything ahead of time? There goes free will down the tubes

Old 09-18-2009, 10:50 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
Blah blah blah. BS

Old 09-18-2009, 11:35 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,727,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
LOL..... I hear you. You know though, if I woke up tomorrow and was 30 years younger, it would probably never occur to me that it was a miracle. I would more likely think that I had had some freakishly weird dream or was hallucinating or something! I hear ya on the knee....something we have in common apparently. I could go for a total right knee restoration , that I'd take without question. I could accept that more readily than waking up 30 years younger. Seriously, I really don't think I could handle that mentally. They'd be heavily medicating me, that's for sure. For cryin out loud I'd have 3 kids older than me!

Old 09-19-2009, 12:04 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
By no means was there 6 inches of snow on the ground.... only a couple, however, it was snowing so hard that I could only see about 10 feet in front of me. The car I was driving was not at all set up to drive in the snow... 1976 Camaro with wide tires.....not suitable for RAIN, in fact. LOL I was at most 18 y.o. at the time and had never driven in the snow before...I was not from that part of the country. To me, it was a miracle. To you, maybe not. The point is....I prayed...the snow turned to rain and the snow on the ground disappeared.
Sorry beachmel but you can't really expect us to believe that 6 inches of snow disappeared without trace within seconds and nobody but you noticed it.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Sorry beachmel but you can't really expect us to believe that 6 inches of snow disappeared without trace within seconds and nobody but you noticed it.
He said a couple of inches...Probably wet slushy stuff which would quickly disappear with the rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality