Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 02:23 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
The vast majority of atheist are moral? BY WHAT STANDARD? By your own standard! By the world's standard. The world's standard is flawed. People who compare themselves to others are not wise.

World: "Well, that guy killed three people... I only killed two. I guess I am not that bad."

God: "Thall shall not murder"

What about all of the atheists that have never murdered, raped or stolen, and haven't eaten a baby in days? Huh? You ever consider them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 02:36 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Christians have never been the majority... especially true Christians. They will always be the minority. The Bible offers a better worldly life as well as an eternal life. Yet, people have major misconceptions of the Bible and God.
Thankfully this is true. Have you ever thought of what the world would be like today if everyone thought like you, and everything we do not know is answered with " God did it"? You and your dad think science is the enemy. Why progress would be so retarded we'd probably still have a life span of only 35 years or so. We would be treating sick people with leeches to get rid of the demons that made them ill....I'm thankful for the curious among us who are never satisfied with "God did it".

Old 09-16-2009, 02:45 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,034 times
I just now watched the video and I haven't read any of the other responses so my apologies if I reiterate something that was already said.

First and foremost, one of the main reasons I don't "follow" Jesus Christ is because of the dimwitted nonsense espoused by buffoons like the pastor in the video. He can quote the Bible any way he'd like but to suggest that I'm so enamored with the "evil" in my life is leaving a very open door for the traditional Sunday followers who have no ability to think for themselves. How does a flock of non-intuitive zombies who can't think for themselves take this conjecture? Quite simply... As is evidenced on the forum very often, they automatically presume that any and all who are not following Christ are up to something so egregiously awful (but enjoying it) that we are not willing to come to Christ because of it.

Secondly, I find the narrow-minded simplicity of the argument to be so vapidly arrogant in its context that I would rather amputate my penis with a rusty butter knife than listen to this mindless drivel. The explosive fecundity of why the often dangerous "Christ" mind-virus has become so popular is because it provides so many with the narrow option of presuming strict black and white thinking in the course of life. Oh, how I love the way in which humanity must always feel it needs to reside in the quaint happiness of forcing others to absolutely, positively make a decision. The "In or Out" specifications of so much of the Christian religion seem to be inherently ingrained in the mindset of so many of the followers that it pervades what could otherwise be construed as a decent thing. Is this God of yours such a petty and demonstrative example of forced idol worship that he demands such mindless idolatry while providing a mandated abortion of the frontal lobes he supposedly created man with?

Thirdly, I feel there is a distinct difference between "following" Jesus and becoming such a mindless zealot of the Christian religion so as to be able to stand in front of a crowd and proclaim that all those who do not follow are mired in sin and perversion. I think a lot of people who don't necessarily "follow" Christ would agree that a lot of his teachings were decent, moral, good examples of how to live life. This does not imply that I now have to make the leap from decent, moral, good guy to "The Son of The Celestial Despot." And that's ultimately what the pastor means when he prescribes to his followers the idea of "Following Christ" isn't it? It's not enough to read the individual merits and incorporate segments of that into one's life, it's necessary to now devote one's whole life to a bovine caricature nailed to a few planks by Roman soldiers.

Finally, I will say that I find the idea of devoting my life to one narrow path of thinking to be the most horrid of circumstances I could put myself in. Rather than consulting the Bible for my advice on politics, economics, science, literature, etc... I would much prefer to read about politics from people who know about, economics from people who know about it, science from those who know about it, and literature from those who wrote it. This, of course, is much more in preference to looking around my living room walls at the crucifixes and the European, white male rendering of Jesus as though he were a Communist dictator upon whom I must worship and give thanks to.

The arrogant presumptions made by pastors such as this are precisely what turns me off from the whole of the Christianity in so many ways. It has so much less to do with the "evil" preferences in my life and so much more to do with the arrogant, vapid following of those who call themselves "sheep" but look more and more like tongue eating isopods each and every day.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:55 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,651,159 times
Quote:
“It’s not because the Bible is supposedly filled with contradictions. It’s not because they’re having a hard time believing Jesus rose again from the dead bodily...”
Erm, actually Mr. Laurie, it is.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:00 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
BRAVO troop!

Old 09-16-2009, 03:08 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
The logic behind that video was just plain stupid. What he's basically saying is that no one is really an atheist and everyone knows deep inside that God is real but they're afraid of all of the horrible things they've done will become known if they acknowledge that God actually exists. I don't know about the rest of my atheist friends but I'm not a career criminal or wanted by the police for any evil deeds that I've committed. I honestly can't even think of any single act of evil that I've committed that I feel I'd need to hide from anyone. Of course I've done many things I regret like everyone else and have my share of faults, it's just human nature.
The tactic which this speaker is attempting to use is to try to make people feel guilty and to perpetuate the concept that man is evil by nature and only God can do something about it. I couldn't count how many people I've heard who are now religious who have said what a worthless sinner they were before they accepted Jesus.
What's amusing about his whole statement is that the very things that he said were not the reasons that people don't turn to Jesus such as the inconsistencies in the Bible and having doubts that someone could really rise from the dead are in fact the real reasons. The Bible is just not believable.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:14 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,317 times
Quote:
Christians have never been the majority... especially true Christians. They will always be the minority. The Bible offers a better worldly life as well as an eternal life. Yet, people have major misconceptions of the Bible and God.
True Scotsman fallacy does not fly. Xian mean believes in christ. The misconceptions are not about your gawd but you proponents and adherents.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:19 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,317 times
Quote:
I am sorry if I offended you. I did not mean to go down that route. Good works in God's eyes are nothing but filthy rags. He demands one thing belief in Him. One someone tells me, "Oh he is a good guy?" Really compared to what? ... how does he compare to God's standard of good. When you look at God's standard of good people do not look like angles anymore : )

When were you born-again? Jesus said we all must be born again. Not a physical rebirth, but a sprititual rebirth. It is a complete change in how you have been living your life. Some people have major changes others have minor changes. Some people change quickly others changes slowly. But overall everyone that goes through this unique change... changes towards the values of the Bible and one can see it in their life.
Why do you not quote the true meaning of filthy rags? A used menstrual cloth Moderator cut: inappropriate

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-16-2009 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: inappropriate description

Old 09-16-2009, 03:26 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,238,464 times
Quote:
I am sorry if I offended you. I did not mean to go down that route. Good works in God's eyes are nothing but filthy rags. He demands one thing belief in Him. One someone tells me, "Oh he is a good guy?" Really compared to what? ... how does he compare to God's standard of good. When you look at God's standard of good people do not look like angles anymore : )

When were you born-again? Jesus said we all must be born again. Not a physical rebirth, but a sprititual rebirth. It is a complete change in how you have been living your life. Some people have major changes others have minor changes. Some people change quickly others changes slowly. But overall everyone that goes through this unique change... changes towards the values of the Bible and one can see it in their life.
this is one of the most ridiculous fallacies of religion. Go do whatever bad things you want to do, but as long as you say "I believe in God" everything is hunky dory. but if you give to charity, volunteer, be a good citizen and not hurt others --- but don't believe in that little fairy tale then you're a bad person.

total, utter hogwash.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:03 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
Troop wrote:
Quote:
Secondly, I find the narrow-minded simplicity of the argument to be so vapidly arrogant in its context that I would rather amputate my penis with a rusty butter knife than listen to this mindless drivel.
Geez Troop, I've become rather attached to the little fella and I honestly think it would take a whole lot of listening to mindless drivel before I'd take such drastic action!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality