Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 12:43 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,198,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Where DO these people come from??
Well, there's another thread which references the high birth rate in the Bible Belt...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 01:08 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,578,987 times
Because man wants to live in darkness,they want to live in their own sins. I did not have to watch the video to figure the answer as it is apparent when we are living in sin, how can we be focusing on the Saviour.

We are focusing on worldly things with no aspirations of Heaven,plain and simple.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:19 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,728,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
This atheism = immoral hedonism is getting a bit tiring. Hardly a week goes by that you don't hear some story about Christians in positions of authority molesting some little kids, yet it's the atheist who're so immoral.

That's okay, I suppose, because they're true believers in Christ. Jesus will save them from hell, while us "immoral" atheist burn forever. Nice going, God. And exactly why am I suppose to worship you again?

Evidence for Jesus? Okay, how about putting up or shutting up. Pray for Jesus or God to show himself to us non-believers in an unambiguous way, and we'll all believe. I shall patiently await for this to happen. Now you can stop lying about atheist not believing no matter what.

The OP is a perfect example of why it's pointless discussing anything with 83.01 percent of all believers. You have to waste most your time arguing against all the false assumptions and character slander before even getting to why you believe or not. It can be quite humorous at times to hear people tell me why I believe what I do, as they apparently know me better than me.

Wait, I just had an amazing revelation! All Christians are really atheist in denial. It is the truth! It doesn't matter what anyone else says. Maybe if I say it enough times and am really loud and obnoxious enough about it, it'll make it even more true!

See how silly that is? That's exactly what you true believers sound like to us.
Please don't place all of us "true believers" in the same category. I do know you don't believe that....as the top part of your post states that you can't discuss the issue with 83.01% of all believers. I do hope that I can fall into that 16.99%. I consider myself a true believer, honest I do. However, and this might make you laugh.... If I hear a preacher or another believer ranting and raving....making threats...telling me and others that THEY know the purpose that God has for me and that Jesus wants me or anyone else to do something specific..other than love someone the way YOU want to be loved, forgiven the way YOU want to be forgiven (and that's HARD sometimes...impossible in some instances), it ticks me OFF! How DARE you presume to know what God wants me to do? How DARE you tell someone they're going to hell when you do not know their hearts!? How DARE you tell me that I'm not a Christian if I don't go to church on Sunday? ...and I AM a believer!

You want to know why I am a believer? I am a believer because He has saved and rescued me from so many tragedies in life. I will only name a couple of things. One day I was caught in a snowstorm. My car was not set up to drive in this weather, but I decided to try to make it to work anyway. The road I was driving was a treacherous one...horrid, above a river. My car slid off of the road 4 different times. Each time, good folks stopped to help me get back on the highway. Time 5 rolled around....I was beyond stressed out....panicked, terrified in fact. I laid my head on the steering wheel of the car and bawled like a baby.....then started praying to God, "Please, oh Please God...I can't take it anymore. Please God, just make it go away....oh PLEASE....and I made a couple of promises, etc. " LOL I raised my head off of the steering wheel and not only was it pouring rain outside, but the snow was GONE! I would never make this up...ever.... it was completely gone and there was no sign that it had even happened. Now I know I didn't black out, because I got to work on time. Another time..... my hubby and I were cutting firewood. He was falling a tree and we had our youngest son in the cab of the pickup truck. My husband is one of the most amazing tree fallers I've ever met. That man can pick a target...mark the spot and hit it dead center. He picked the spot, made his cuts and the tree spun on its trunk.....headed straight for the truck. I was standing in the bed of the truck and watched that tree falling directly toward me....I was trapped among the firewood I had thrown into the bed and couldn't move more than 6 inches. I prayed....."Oh God NO.....I have my baby.....NO!" Folks....that tree landed across the bed of the truck. We're talking an 80' tree with a 3' diameter trunk. The branches brushed my arm.....I FELT it...no pain, just felt it. Not only was I completely uninjured, not a single bit of evidence that the tree had ever touched me, but it barely dented the sidewalls of the truck either. There was definitely evidence that it had fallen across the truck....indentations on both sides of the bed, but nothing like what should have happened. This is only 2 of the hundreds of incidences....specifically answered prayers that I have witnessed in my lifetime....but that is why I am a believer. The evidence is out there....I believe we have all been recipients of answered prayers, even if they're only things that we've "thought". I don't believe we have believe or even "pray"....I believe that He hears our thoughts...knows our hearts.

I apologize for the so-called Christians that criticize and judge each other so harshly..... I believe that the bible is specific about that..."Judge not, lest ye be judged." Do I judge? Oh you betcha.....it's hard to live without ever judging....but I do try. It's just common sense, right. Don't judge or you'll be judged......for judging! hehe.... okay...onward and forward.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:56 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I will only name a couple of things. One day I was caught in a snowstorm. My car was not set up to drive in this weather, but I decided to try to make it to work anyway. The road I was driving was a treacherous one...horrid, above a river. My car slid off of the road 4 different times. Each time, good folks stopped to help me get back on the highway. Time 5 rolled around....I was beyond stressed out....panicked, terrified in fact. I laid my head on the steering wheel of the car and bawled like a baby.....then started praying to God, "Please, oh Please God...I can't take it anymore. Please God, just make it go away....oh PLEASE....and I made a couple of promises, etc. " LOL I raised my head off of the steering wheel and not only was it pouring rain outside, but the snow was GONE! I would never make this up...ever.... it was completely gone and there was no sign that it had even happened.
Can you supply any links to newspaper reports TV programmes that such an amazing phenomenon would have generated. I mean surely, this would have made the front page on just about every newspaper in the world wouldn't it. Here you are, stuck in a snowstorm and within seconds of you praying....all the snow has disappeared as if it had never been there. I'd wager that other people must have witnessed this and mentioned it to news/TV programmes. Do you have anything?

Old 09-18-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Can you supply any links to newspaper reports TV programmes that such an amazing phenomenon would have generated. I mean surely, this would have made the front page on just about every newspaper in the world wouldn't it. Here you are, stuck in a snowstorm and within seconds of you praying....all the snow has disappeared as if it had never been there. I'd wager that other people must have witnessed this and mentioned it to news/TV programmes. Do you have anything?
I have no idea.....it was winter, 1979 in the Smokey Mountains of North Carolina.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:47 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
I have no idea.....it was winter, 1979 in the Smokey Mountains of North Carolina.
I could only see what you describe happening if there was only a light skim of snow followed by heavy rain...It happens here a lot, and is a perfectly natural occurrence and not a miracle by any stretch of the imagination....Well not my imagination anyway.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I could only see what you describe happening if there was only a light skim of snow followed by heavy rain...It happens here a lot, and is a perfectly natural occurrence and not a miracle by any stretch of the imagination....Well not my imagination anyway.
By no means was there 6 inches of snow on the ground.... only a couple, however, it was snowing so hard that I could only see about 10 feet in front of me. The car I was driving was not at all set up to drive in the snow... 1976 Camaro with wide tires.....not suitable for RAIN, in fact. LOL I was at most 18 y.o. at the time and had never driven in the snow before...I was not from that part of the country. To me, it was a miracle. To you, maybe not. The point is....I prayed...the snow turned to rain and the snow on the ground disappeared.

P.S. Just curious.... would WOULD you consider a miracle? I mean, really.... I'm just curious, do you believe in miracles? If so, what would have to happen in order for you to consider it a miracle? Oh..... and living on the coast of Western Washington, yeah, I see that sort of thing every winter...but at the time.....

Old 09-18-2009, 06:19 PM

970 posts, read 1,700,503 times
Quote:
By no means was there 6 inches of snow on the ground.... only a couple, however, it was snowing so hard that I could only see about 10 feet in front of me. The car I was driving was not at all set up to drive in the snow... 1976 Camaro with wide tires.....not suitable for RAIN, in fact. LOL I was at most 18 y.o. at the time and had never driven in the snow before...I was not from that part of the country. To me, it was a miracle. To you, maybe not. The point is....I prayed...the snow turned to rain and the snow on the ground disappeared.
It could be true. Thing is, we only have your word for it. I'm not saying that you lied, but I have no way of knowing whether the event actually happened, whether you might have been tricked or mistaken somehow, or if there is a natural explanation to the phenomenon.

I've linked to this video a couple of times already because it's so damn good (it's 10 min but worth every second), and the topic of "personal experiences of the unexplained" is addressed in the first three minutes:

YouTube - Open-mindedness

Your reasons to believe might be very good, or they might be nothing but delusions and confirmation bias. I have no way to know and thus cannot use your testimony as evidence of anything.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
to follow jesus gota have just 1 god
we stopped worshipping 1 god some time ago.
now its 3
god of the office - bottom line
god of the home - harmony at any cost
god of the church - impression management

Old 09-18-2009, 06:46 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
Quote:

P.S. Just curious.... would WOULD you consider a miracle? I mean, really.... I'm just curious, do you believe in miracles? If so, what would have to happen in order for you to consider it a miracle? Oh..... and living on the coast of Western Washington, yeah, I see that sort of thing every winter...but at the time.....

He's a miracle.

An amputee goes to a faith healer, and right there in front of everyone, he grows his leg back. It would be even more believable if the faith healer went to Walter Reed, and had them grow back in groups of 10.

That would be something that would be more than statistically improbable.

Because most talk of miracles are events that probability theory would suggest happen a limited number of times. For example, everyone who has won the lottery thinks it was a miracle that they won. After all, the odds were millions to one that they would have won it.

Yet we know someone had to win. It was not a miracle, it simple was probability theory playing out.

But a miracle would be to do something that is completely impossible. Instead of curing a sickness that might cure itself anyway, cure one that would be impossible without a miracle. Regrow a leg - after all a salamander can do it, so if there is a God he should have been able to do it atleast one time in the history of man kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality