Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2015, 11:09 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I saw that too and my first thought was why would anyone automatically 'assume' that if we ever DID make contact with anyone from 'out there', why would it HAVE to lead to a "war"?
Actually, most (all?) Of the science fiction writers until " Close Encounters . . . ".

Except that Ray Bradbury seemed to have a more open mind.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:58 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,834 times
We just spent a great long weekend here in and around Asheville. My sister-in -law and husband came for a visit. The leaves were at peak and the weather perfect. We explored new restaurants and had an all around great time together. He is retired, she has another year or so. I think they will be moving here.

As for extraterrestrials automatically being evil--says something of one's mindset. You get what you give.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:42 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,855 times
I'm supposed to get Internet tomorrow morning, and I cannot wait! Have I been suffering withdrawal? You betcha!!

Had such a nice time with AZDesertBrat, and if anyone is near Hauchuca City I'd love to meet you.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:41 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I'm supposed to get Internet tomorrow morning, and I cannot wait! Have I been suffering withdrawal? You betcha!!

Had such a nice time with AZDesertBrat, and if anyone is near Hauchuca City I'd love to meet you.
I can relate to the "withdrawal" thing. I was without my phone/internet for three weeks after I moved into my house. The bright side was that I got a LOT done without it. I'd probably STILL be unpacking and organizing otherwise! lol

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit but wish I could have shown you around more. But, like I tell everybody, you could be here for two weeks and not see/do everything. That's why you have to come back!

Back to work Thurs.. I have had fun 'pretending' I'm retired.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Actually, most (all?) Of the science fiction writers until " Close Encounters . . . ".

Except that Ray Bradbury seemed to have a more open mind.
This is true. The first sci fi movie I remember, as a kid, was The Day The Earth Stood Still. I don't recall the premise of the movie anymore but still remember it so it must have made an impression on me. Now I want to see it again!

Old 10-27-2015, 05:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
I am trying to reach someone by phone (her email address doesn't work). Every time I try to access the White Pages online I have to go through all kinds of rigamarole only to be brought to the point where I have to pay for the person's contact info. I have tried national and state online directories, all the same thing. Does anyone here know of any surefire online directory where I can just get a friggin' phone number for free?? thanks for any info.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I am trying to reach someone by phone (her email address doesn't work). Every time I try to access the White Pages online I have to go through all kinds of rigamarole only to be brought to the point where I have to pay for the person's contact info. I have tried national and state online directories, all the same thing. Does anyone here know of any surefire online directory where I can just get a friggin' phone number for free?? thanks for any info.
Don't know if you still can or not but I used to be able to give information operator (411) the name and they'd give me the number, unless it was unlisted/unpublished. They might not do that anymore considering the "security" things we now have to deal with. It was free to get the number but if you wanted them to connect you it cost so I told them no thanks I'll try later. You can always try. I've tried to find numbers online too and it's a pain, I agree.

Edited to say...this would, of course, only work with a landline. If she has a cell phone...

Old 10-27-2015, 05:32 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,422,050 times
Quote:
If they don't have a land line - you won't be able to get it on whitepages.com usually. Otherwise if there is a Telephone icon to the right of the name you should be able to get the land line there. I just tested it with my own and also a friends name and it worked just fine without any rigamarole. Have you tried googling her name?

Old 10-27-2015, 05:34 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Don't know if you still can or not but I used to be able to give information operator (411) the name and they'd give me the number, unless it was unlisted/unpublished. They might not do that anymore considering the "security" things we now have to deal with. It was free to get the number but if you wanted them to connect you it cost so I told them no thanks I'll try later. You can always try. I've tried to find numbers online too and it's a pain, I agree.

Edited to say...this would, of course, only work with a landline. If she has a cell phone...
Tried that, no listing. I have one number for her, and her mailbox is full. The message I have is to her benefit, not mine. What is wrong with people! Why can't they clear out their messages daily!

Old 10-27-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Tried that, no listing. I have one number for her, and her mailbox is full. The message I have is to her benefit, not mine. What is wrong with people! Why can't they clear out their messages daily!
I have family members who do the same dang thing. That's mostly why I've quit trying to call them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement