Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 07:16 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
You would not be toast, you would be joining me and MotleyCrew over at the Bell Center here in Sun City to enjoy the large walking pool, lap pool & sauna. Yes, I do get into the sauna for about 10 minutes even in this heat.

I especially love the walking pool because I can actually walk in the water without experiencing pain. Motley and I have some great conversations & laughs as we walk the laps. The pools are a great place to meet a lot of friendly people. Time tends to fly by while there.

You sure get around! Who knew you moved - hope it's working out for you and glad you met Motley!

Old 06-17-2012, 07:50 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Actually, the Monsoon season which brings higher humidity has not arrived yet. So, even though the temperatures are high the mornings & evenings are still quite pleasant. In fact, many people are still out and about driving their golf carts to get to their destinations.
Thanks for the explanation. I really don't know what a monsoon is, I think of India when I hear that word. Sounds grave. What is it and when does it occur? Flooding?

Old 06-17-2012, 07:53 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
You sure get around! Who knew you moved - hope it's working out for you and glad you met Motley!
Yes do tell, and post a picture of your new abode!

Old 06-17-2012, 08:09 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times
Default Arizona Monsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I really don't know what a monsoon is, I think of India when I hear that word. Sounds grave. What is it and when does it occur? Flooding?
If you Google "Arizona Monsoon", you can learn a lot about this summer weather phenomenon and what it means to those living in the Sonoran desert.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:34 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
If you Google "Arizona Monsoon", you can learn a lot about this summer weather phenomenon and what it means to those living in the Sonoran desert.
I have a friend who lives near Phoenix and she refers to the monsoons there every summer.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:44 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Not to change the subject but...I was curious about the weather/temp elsewhere today and saw that in central Arizona the temp is 106 today and over 110 for the rest of the week, as high as 112. I would be toast, I mean dead on my feet, unless I hid away in an air conditioned room. How do you Southwest ladies handle this kind of heat? Do you stay inside?
I don't stay inside any more in summer than I do in winter. Well, I don't go many places so, yeah, I spend a lot of time inside. I do have to work but I have a nice air conditioned car and it's less than 10 min. to work. Then I work inside an air conditioned BIG store all day. Back to my A/C car to my nice cool house! Same thing in winter but change it to 'heat'. lol I think we live a pretty normal life down here. Nobody is going to be out in the desert hiking...or shouldn't be!...but living a normal life is easy. It was 104 where I live and Phoenix is generally around 10 degrees hotter. Or thereabouts. You see a ton of people carrying water bottles.

The heat in summer here does take some adjusting too if you move here. But I can say that living in MI in summer was more oppressive to me than the summers here. We have a couple months of humidity, which isn't really all that bad, but I remember the humidity in MI. Felt like someone threw a hot wet wool blanket over me. I spent most of the summer in the basement emptying the dehumidifier. lol I guess, being a native of the state, I've just learned to adjust over the many years. Neither winter or summer bother me anymore. But, by the end of one I am always looking forward to the other!

Old 06-17-2012, 10:19 PM

419 posts, read 758,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
The last time I posted on this thread was back in the middle of January. In that post I announced that I was leaving in 10 days to look at properties in Sun City. I promised to post an update after my return but life has been a complete merry go round since that time. I do apologize for not posting before now.

I did make that 4 day whirlwind trip back in Jan. I met with my realtor who is just fantastic. She took me to see several properties but I didn't see anything that appealed to me. Finally, the next to the last day she showed me a small duplex. It was a foreclosure and had an offer in on it. I didn't think much about it because I thought the offer would be accepted. After I returned home I learned that that a window of opportunity had opened. I decided to offer $100.00 over list price. The bank had already reduced the price and I thought what they were asking was a pretty good deal. The first offer was below asking so they accepted my offer. All of the paper work was done at my home in TN. I learned to scan documents and send back via e-mail on the fly because I only had a few hours to get all paperwork back to them. I closed on the little duplex on 2/28. I was not there but didn't have to be. It was a cash sale and they had e-mailed me all of the closing documents ahead of time. My realtor met with the home inspector and after closing she met with a locksmith to have a couple deadbolts installed & locks changed. She also asked if I wanted the carpets cleaned. They looked good but decided that I would go ahead with the cleaning, so she met with the carpet cleaners.

I listed my condo in TN the first week in March. It sold in 3 days and we closed on April 5th. I was in my loaded car on the morning of April 6th with my 2 cats (a girl 13yrs old and a boy 6 yrs. old) beginning a 1900 mile trip to Sun City, AZ.

On Easter Sunday morning I was leaving my hotel in Oklahoma City. I had put my older cat in the car. I was carrying my boy in his carrier to the car. He started squirming and the carrier twisted and the door flew opened and he fell out. He was scared to death and bolted underneath a car. I walked around that car for 10 minutes calling his name and he wouldn't come out. I was so scared that something else would spook him and he would run far away. Finally, out of frustration I went to the front of the car calling his name and pounding on the carrier. I guess the pounding let him know where I was and he came running to me. I grabbed him and the carrier and put them both in the car. Needless to say, I was traumatized for at least half of the day.

I arrived at my new home the afternoon of April 9th. I walked into a vacant home except for the card table, 2 chairs, cot & beach recliner that my realtor had brought over for me to use. The very next day I was out buying a mattress & frame. Over a couple of weeks I was able to purchase enough furniture to make the house comfortable.

I was only here a few days when my boy cat got a upper respiratory infection. I had no vet so I had to take him to an emergency clinic that is near by. He was on antibiotics for 10 days. I guess the stress of the move really affected him. At least my older cat did not get the infection.

Yes, I have really been on the move for the past 7 years. I thought I had found a permanent retirement home in NE TN. But, because of my degenrative disc disease I felt that I needed to move somewhere with more support services and activities that I enjoy close at hand. I am so thankful for the 2 1/2 yrs. I spent in TN. I met the best friend that I have ever had in my life there. She calls me everyday to say Hi and check on my well being.

So, for better or worse I am here to stay in Sun City. All of the prior reasearch tells me that it is for the better along with my peace of mind since arriving. After living in the Phoenix area for 33 years, I guess I have finally come "home".

Old 06-17-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
The last time I posted on this thread was back in the middle of January. In that post I announced that I was leaving in 10 days to look at properties in Sun City. I promised to post an update after my return but life has been a complete merry go round since that time. I do apologize for not posting before now.

I did make that 4 day whirlwind trip back in Jan. I met with my realtor who is just fantastic. She took me to see several properties but I didn't see anything that appealed to me. Finally, the next to the last day she showed me a small duplex. It was a foreclosure and had an offer in on it. I didn't think much about it because I thought the offer would be accepted. After I returned home I learned that that a window of opportunity had opened. I decided to offer $100.00 over list price. The bank had already reduced the price and I thought what they were asking was a pretty good deal. The first offer was below asking so they accepted my offer. All of the paper work was done at my home in TN. I learned to scan documents and send back via e-mail on the fly because I only had a few hours to get all paperwork back to them. I closed on the little duplex on 2/28. I was not there but didn't have to be. It was a cash sale and they had e-mailed me all of the closing documents ahead of time. My realtor met with the home inspector and after closing she met with a locksmith to have a couple deadbolts installed & locks changed. She also asked if I wanted the carpets cleaned. They looked good but decided that I would go ahead with the cleaning, so she met with the carpet cleaners.

I listed my condo in TN the first week in March. It sold in 3 days and we closed on April 5th. I was in my loaded car on the morning of April 6th with my 2 cats (a girl 13yrs old and a boy 6 yrs. old) beginning a 1900 mile trip to Sun City, AZ.

On Easter Sunday morning I was leaving my hotel in Oklahoma City. I had put my older cat in the car. I was carrying my boy in his carrier to the car. He started squirming and the carrier twisted and the door flew opened and he fell out. He was scared to death and bolted underneath a car. I walked around that car for 10 minutes calling his name and he wouldn't come out. I was so scared that something else would spook him and he would run far away. Finally, out of frustration I went to the front of the car calling his name and pounding on the carrier. I guess the pounding let him know where I was and he came running to me. I grabbed him and the carrier and put them both in the car. Needless to say, I was traumatized for at least half of the day.

I arrived at my new home the afternoon of April 9th. I walked into a vacant home except for the card table, 2 chairs, cot & beach recliner that my realtor had brought over for me to use. The very next day I was out buying a mattress & frame. Over a couple of weeks I was able to purchase enough furniture to make the house comfortable.

I was only here a few days when my boy cat got a upper respiratory infection. I had no vet so I had to take him to an emergency clinic that is near by. He was on antibiotics for 10 days. I guess the stress of the move really affected him. At least my older cat did not get the infection.

Yes, I have really been on the move for the past 7 years. I thought I had found a permanent retirement home in NE TN. But, because of my degenrative disc disease I felt that I needed to move somewhere with more support services and activities that I enjoy close at hand. I am so thankful for the 2 1/2 yrs. I spent in TN. I met the best friend that I have ever had in my life there. She calls me everyday to say Hi and check on my well being.

So, for better or worse I am here to stay in Sun City. All of the prior reasearch tells me that it is for the better along with my peace of mind since arriving. After living in the Phoenix area for 33 years, I guess I have finally come "home".
Wow and WOW! What a fast & furious journey That cat episode could have gone terribly wrong - glad it didn't. Does your realtor work in MN and CO? She sounds like a real gem. Perhaps you can talk your friend into moving to AZ? At the very least I bet she will be visiting. That is how it goes though - just when you find that perfect friend, DR, or whatever, it's move time. Best at your new location

Old 06-18-2012, 11:07 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
SBaker is a wonderful addition to Sun City. I was at the clay club doing my hourly monitoring and this nice gal comes walking in and we chatted a bit and she wanted to join. So....I am getting the form for her to fill out and I say "by the way, my name is J, and she looked surprised and asks "are you Motley from City Data? I go "shhhhhhh, yes I am", hahahah. She told me she was SBaker from TN that had emailed me months ago and she had finally made it to AZ. I would have missed meeting her if I had not been at that desk that particular day. Funny how small the planet really is.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:36 AM

Motley - I LOVE stories like this It really is a small world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement