Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 10:26 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times

Advertisements

Hi All, I have spent a lot of time looking for a place to transition to and still don't have a clear answer. Currently, I live in San Jose and have considered the Portland area but I'm ready to leave earthquake country (one runs through the middle of Portland). Since I am orginally from Ohio I thought about going home but I hear heating can run over $300/mo. - they do have the Cleveland Clinic which is good thing. Now, I am looking at the Franklin/Nashville, TN. area. Durham also is a possibility because of the college. I heard the humidity is high there. My heart breaks at the thought of leaving the Bay area's weather and The City, however, the cost of living is too high . I want to live near a library/college as there are always new ideas and people to connect with. Sometimes, I think about going to another country, but I'm not sure I would feel secure enough to do that. I envy some of my former classmates who stayed in the same area and have life long friends and family nearby. There is a lot to say for that.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:04 AM

5 posts, read 7,587 times
Hi,
I hear you... the decision is a tough one. I too have lived in Ohio (Cincinnati for a decade) but currently live in NY (WAY TOO $$$ TO STAY). In my 30s I was Peace Corp Volunteer in Thailand and still have friends... they want me to go there - They have excellent hosiptals in Bangkok. Which is a great idea...but if any family stuff happens, it is an awful long trip back. I currently work with foreign students and I have a large group from the Dominican Republic they keep telling me to get a condo there... but I am not an island girl. I am thinking Atlanta or the Carolinas... the costs in FL have not yet hit rock bottom -- I don't mind heat -- but I need a college town/city. I am working with the current concept of investigating where my local regional airport flies direct... but open to other ideas.

Interestingly, having a common theme - group of friends might be key - I spoke to friend the other day who is transitioning -- she grows roses -- and she connected with a group via the internet - developed friendships, met people annually at rose shows (who knew?) and through this group found a place in FL. So think of your connections

Cheers,
LA in NY

Old 01-05-2011, 06:58 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Hi All, I have spent a lot of time looking for a place to transition to and still don't have a clear answer. Currently, I live in San Jose and have considered the Portland area but I'm ready to leave earthquake country (one runs through the middle of Portland). Since I am originally from Ohio I thought about going home but I hear heating can run over $300/mo. - they do have the Cleveland Clinic which is good thing. Now, I am looking at the Franklin/Nashville, TN. area. Durham also is a possibility because of the college. I heard the humidity is high there. My heart breaks at the thought of leaving the Bay area's weather and The City, however, the cost of living is too high . I want to live near a library/college as there are always new ideas and people to connect with. Sometimes, I think about going to another country, but I'm not sure I would feel secure enough to do that. I envy some of my former classmates who stayed in the same area and have life long friends and family nearby. There is a lot to say for that.
I live in Portland OR now and the ever-incredibly-increasing COL is way more scary than any earthquake. I am looking to move to Cleveland hopefully by the end of the year. The Cleveland Clinic is a big draw as are other things such as the University, Library, good public transportation and lower COL to name a few. I somehow do not think the cost of heating a small apartment which is what I am aiming for will cost $300 a month.

Another large draw for me is I have friends there although moving to a place where I do not know anyone would work; I have done it before.

I know the weather is a big negative and people do not hesitate to point that out but you to weigh all prospects and compromise in choosing the place that is most beneficial to your needs.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:53 AM

438 posts, read 1,115,439 times
Hi, Heidi60. I moved 'home' to the midwest last summer from the Bay Area. I too was concerned about heating costs, but the place I bought is so well insulated that my gas & electric bills for everything including heating and cooling run only $74/month in a place more than three times the size of my former apartment.

I'm a fish out of water here, so I'm moving to Portland soon. There are EQ faults there, but I don't think the danger is as high as it was in SF.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:27 AM

Hello again. I was looking at the USGS web site when I found the Portland fault. Quakes never used to bother me, I was here for Loma Prieta, but living in this adobe condo has put the fear into me. Since a real house in this area is out of the question for retirement, I would not be drawn to more of the same. My cousin in Stow, Ohio tells me that his home heating bills average $300/mo during the winter and his daughter with a large home pays more than $500. Ouch! Bankrate.com has a cost of living calculator which, if accurate, provides a interesting comparisons. When utility costs were factored in there wasn't a significant difference between San Jose and Cleveland - according to them. Fish out of water...I feel so alive and happy when I take the train to the City and spend the day just being me. But, I notice that each year, it gets a little harder so I think my post-meno body is reminding me that the years are taking their toll no matter how hard I resist. Riverbird, how lucky you were to have been able to live there for part of your life. (Did you see House Hunter's the other night where S.F. was the location? Million dollar condos.) Cleveland has much to offer also, as previously mentioned, and they have the best pierogi! I like shopping at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. So, my theory is why not take advantage of the tons they spend on market research and see where they have located their stores. They pick good locations with lots of transportation. Of course, that is not my only source but at times, it has led me to places I did not know about such as Cary, NC. Cheers!

Old 01-05-2011, 03:00 PM

I hear you about the adobe condo. There are natural disasters everywhere, but earthquakes scare me because there's no warning. The Big One could happen five minutes from now or 30 years from now. I was living and working in the Sierra foothills temporarily during 1989, so I missed Loma Prieta.

I used to live two blocks from the Trader Joe's North Beach store and oh how I miss it. My food costs are much higher here than they were in SF and the food isn't as interesting. I agree completely about Trader Joe's and their market research! When I was deciding where to go I practically memorized their list of locations. In Portland I want to live within walking distance of a TJ's, although I hear there's a New Seasons small chain that's good too.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbird View Post
...My food costs are much higher here than they were in SF .... I agree completely about Trader Joe's and their market research! When I was deciding where to go I practically memorized their list of locations. In Portland I want to live within walking distance of a TJ's, although I hear there's a New Seasons small chain that's good too.
Welcome to Portland, Food costs are very favorable, but they can be a minor detail. (I spend $3/day on food and $33 on each; medical coverage and property taxes, thus food is definately less than 5% of my CoL). I can fix you up with some local spots for good economical produce, + I know lots of growers (since I once was one in this area). My son is a manager of one of the regional Farmer's Markets so we keep engaged in CSA / locavore activities. I also keep a close eye on Gorge Grown Food Network - Supporting local, sustainable food in the Columbia Gorge Region. As a previous Grower, I love their Mobile Farmer's Market idea.

BTW: the TJ in Madison is in a nice location, I stay near there when I go for 'Co-op' training, and ride my (free) 'Red Bike' to commute.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:48 PM

I tried to give you another rep point, StealthRabbit, but I couldn't. I intend to join a CSA once I'm in Portland if I can find one with a pickup point nearby (or one that delivers).

Old 01-05-2011, 05:03 PM

I was returning from Apple training in Pleasanton when the Loma Prieta struck. As I zipped down Hwy.680 one side of my car bounced up and then the other. I hadn't noticed the radio went off as I was testing everything I could, brakes, steering, engin lights and then suddenly the radio came back on. But that was nothing compared to a small quake in this condo! Anyway, Boomers like to eat well, that is evident. What else is fulfilling to our soul as the years go rolling by?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Hi All, I have spent a lot of time looking for a place to transition to and still don't have a clear answer. Currently, I live in San Jose and have considered the Portland area but I'm ready to leave earthquake country (one runs through the middle of Portland). Since I am orginally from Ohio I thought about going home but I hear heating can run over $300/mo. - they do have the Cleveland Clinic which is good thing. Now, I am looking at the Franklin/Nashville, TN. area. Durham also is a possibility because of the college. I heard the humidity is high there. My heart breaks at the thought of leaving the Bay area's weather and The City, however, the cost of living is too high . I want to live near a library/college as there are always new ideas and people to connect with. Sometimes, I think about going to another country, but I'm not sure I would feel secure enough to do that. I envy some of my former classmates who stayed in the same area and have life long friends and family nearby. There is a lot to say for that.
Several on CD forum, including Curmudgeon, left CA and the high COL there. He moved to the beautiful hills of Southern Missouri on a lake. I understand the sadness of leaving CA. I'd love to live there but not in this lifetime, cannot afford it nor do I want to do superhighways. A small college town for retirees is great, you get culture & arts, lots of lifestyle stuff like yoga, etc. and it's easy to meet new friends. Everyone is afraid of humidity, but if you're retired just spend those kinds of days indoors in an air conditioned public or college library with your laptop. I'm not (any more) letting weather dictate where I live. That was a losing battle! Good luck in your search (if I didn't have ties here I'd head for a place like Tenn. ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement