Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2017, 03:04 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You're fine if you're either rich (buy all the care you need and want) or poor (the government will buy it for you). It's the middle-class that has to worry, as usual. Unless you choose to be a fatalist and NOT worry! No one lives forever anyway.
It would seem that people aren't worrying about dying but of living very badly with failing health/abilities. At least, that's my worry. And I think a lot of people lived very badly in the past with or without families. I don't know that now is so different, but people are living so much longer that it's a whole new thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 03:28 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
I think it's sad that the end of our lives (and all the threads about aging) are consumed with worry. Enjoy what you can while you can.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:57 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
I think it's sad that the end of our lives (and all the threads about aging) are consumed with worry. Enjoy what you can while you can.
"Trust, but verify."
I don't see a lot of worry about the end of life, but living badly until the end. Modestly is fine. Badly isn't.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:08 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
I think the term 'orphan' should be reserved for children who, through no fault of their own, have no one to take care of them. I don't view adults as orphans, especially when they've had an entire lifetime to develop a support system and/or save money for retirement. I just think the term orphan does not apply to these people.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:16 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
I hope I never change my mind that suicide is horrible - it doesn't really accomplish anything, because "wherever you go, there you are," so you might be surprised - and it sure upsets the people left who have to deal with the violence of it.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:23 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I hope I never change my mind that suicide is horrible - it doesn't really accomplish anything, because "wherever you go, there you are," so you might be surprised - and it sure upsets the people left who have to deal with the violence of it.
it needn't be violent. I wouldn't last long if I quit taking my heart meds and indulged in a few things I've had to give up. I think ending your life when you are tired of living it might be easier than most people think.

I am not an advocate of suicide.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:29 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
it needn't be violent. I wouldn't last long if I quit taking my heart meds and indulged in a few things I've had to give up. I think ending your life when you are tired of living it might be easier than most people think.

I am not an advocate of suicide.
If you plan it right, you can indulge in all those foods that are bad for your health, BEFORE you stop the meds. Have a party

When my mother was ready, she asked the Dr to send her to a hospice facility and stopped her meds and stopped eating. Took about a week.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:09 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
On the other hand, if one cannot afford to live in a CCRC or another type of assisted living complex - all expensive - then one can actually remove oneself from the worry. Because one knows there is nothing to be done about it. I am not worrying about it because I know it is likely to be too expensive for me. (although I have not even touched my Retirement IRA yet)

I've seen having home care workers (home healthcare workers) come in to one's house or apartment to help with others, and they have worked out pretty well.
Also trying not to worry about it because all worry does is wear a person down and accomplishes nothing. I too am hoping to be able to hire the help I need when the time comes and in the mean time keep working my tail off to make it easier for me to continue to live here. Mostly concerning the half acre yard. Working to make it low maintenance. I have not touched my funds yet either. I feel living high on the hog at this time would be foolish for me as my current income is limited. I have often been told to spend more money but there really is nothing I want. When I want to do some thing in the yard I just plan for it and do all the work myself drastically cutting the over all cost. Same as for house maintenance. I do not mind hard work. I think it really helps to keep me in good physical shape. I feel this is the real key to be able to continue to live alone.

I have no family to take me in.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:31 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

I've seen having home care workers (home healthcare workers) come in to one's house or apartment to help with others, and they have worked out pretty well.
I'm wondering how I would screen them if I were really needing such care? IME it helps to have kids or other family helping screen and oversee both home care and ALF care.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:42 PM

501 posts, read 360,206 times
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it in my 30s, at any rate!
In my 30's I was immortal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement