Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2019, 09:54 PM

409 posts, read 293,087 times

Advertisements

Flu-like symptoms for about 24 hours. For the second shot, my arm hurt for about a week. Don't remember how long it hurt after the first shot, but both times it was painful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 07:32 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Thanks to this thread, I planned ahead. I got my shot Friday after gym class since weekends are generally lay low days for us retired folk. I spent most of the day on the couch with a sweater and blankets (felt weird in August!) but the flu-like symptoms are finally gone - the arm is still very sore! Not looking forward to the second round!

Old 08-18-2019, 09:23 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,895 times
As I stated before about 50 posts ago, the sore arm is because of the nature of how the shot is given. An intramuscular injection (IM) which is the way these vaccines have to be given, will make the arm more sore because the injection is directly into the muscle of the arm rather than to an area just under the skin as many other injections are given.

It is not because of the medicine in the vaccine.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:41 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
As I stated before about 50 posts ago, the sore arm is because of the nature of how the shot is given. An intramuscular injection (IM) which is the way these vaccines have to be given, will make the arm more sore because the injection is directly into the muscle of the arm rather than to an area just under the skin as many other injections are given.

It is not because of the medicine in the vaccine.
Yep, just like tetanus and I don't like those either. I assumed it was given in the muscle because it hurt just like my last tetanus vaccine but man I didn't remember it being this sore!

Old 08-18-2019, 09:42 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
OK, I'm going to presume since this post has not been deleted, it's OK to respond to it.

As far as the red, it's not a "six of one, half a dozen of the other" issue. Serious Shingrix side effects are rare.
"Serious adverse events—hospitalization or prolongation of existing hospitalization, life-threatening illness, permanent disability, congenital anomaly or birth defect, or death—were similar in both the RZV and placebo-control groups. . .Once Shingrix was licensed, the CDC and FDA began monitoring its safety in the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). During the first eight months of use, the manufacturer reports that approximately 3.2 million RZV doses were distributed. VAERS received a total of 4,381 reports of adverse events, or a rate of 136 reports per 100,000 doses distributed. Just 130 of the total reports were classified as serious." That is 0.004% of all doses given. More than 1/3 of all shingles disease cases develop complications. That works out to about 1 in 9 people total or 11%.
https://www.drugtopics.com/shingles-...fects-are-rare
https://www.drugtopics.com/shingles-...nd-phn-numbers

There is no test that can tell you if you'll get another case of shingles. However "In general, the research suggests that your risk of getting shingles a second time is about the same as the risk you had of getting shingles the first time."
https://www.healthline.com/health/sh...rence#symptoms
Thanks. I'm concerned because I had lasting side effects from a medication pump; dealt with serious headaches for over a year. Various meds have also left me with bad side effects like feeling like acid is running thru my vein on my left leg. I'm also allergic to various meds and med fillers, even steroids.

I'm going to the pharmacy Wednesday. If he has the vaccine I'll get it. If he doesn't then I'm going to take it as a sign and think about it some more.

Last edited by Roselvr; 08-18-2019 at 09:56 AM..

Old 08-18-2019, 09:56 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Yep, just like tetanus and I don't like those either. I assumed it was given in the muscle because it hurt just like my last tetanus vaccine but man I didn't remember it being this sore!
I don’t like the muscle soreness that results from either vaccination, but I’ll gladly choose them over having shingles again!

Old 08-18-2019, 02:11 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Nor did I. In fact, I barely remember any soreness from my last tetanus shot three years ago, but my arm was pretty sore after the Shingrix, for about three or four days. Nothing that bothered me, though, the soreness was not terrible or anything, but definitely noticeable.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:46 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Ask a doc. But I do know adults can get chicken pox, and in them the disease is much worse than in young kids. I’d say, “Get the vaccine, and any other vaccines you lack.” But check with doc for best advice.
It's a weird disease, for sure.
When I was 10, my mother, sister and brother all caught chicken pox, but I never did. My Dad had it when he was a kid, so he was immune. My Mom was an only child and was never exposed to the pox when she was little.

After I married, my wife, also an only child, and both our children caught chicken pox. And I broke out in a mild case of shingles. My Dad thought I had caught them, but that I had only broken out in one or two pox and they went unnoticed.
That case of shingles was only one small patch on one arm, and it went away in about a week. But when they returned, I finally realized why the doctors really want everyone vaccinated. I was in total misery for a solid month with half of that suffering an eye that had swollen shut.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:53 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,068,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I was going to put this in the Health section, but since the shingles vaccine isn't really available to anyone under 50, I thought I'd put it here. If it needs to be moved, the mods have my blessing.

This is not a vaccine debate thread. If you chose not to get the shingles vaccination, great. But please, everyone, do not debate how wonderful or bad vaccines are for people and/or tell others they need to get or not get them. I'm looking for info on a reaction to one vaccine only.

I had the first shingles vaccination a couple months ago and had a slight reaction to it. I got the second shot on Friday night. I was told by the pharmacist and others I probably wouldn't even react to this one. Oh, how wrong they all were.

At almost exactly 12 hours (5am), I got sick. I felt nauseated and had chills and to a lesser degree, a slight fever. My teeth were chattering so bad I thought I would dislocate my jaw. I spent almost an hour in a hot bath and then crawled under all three of my blankets (the only time I do that is if the temp goes below 60° - temp was 72 in my room). And the weirdest thing ever happened.

I got a bolt of pain through the thumb and index finger of my right hand (shot was in the left arm). That pain felt like someone was literally sending a bolt of electricity through my fingers every 90 seconds for about 30 seconds long. This went on for almost 10 hours and was absolutely excruciating. I swear, if I have arthritis like this, I'll be robbing pharmacies for opiates. I finally understand what drives people to take pain medications and risk addiction.

Of course, 24 hours later I'm just fine. And I would still get the shot. I've had shingles and I've got permanent nerve damage from them. I really, really don't want to get shingles again.

But I was curious, if anyone else has gotten the shots, did you have a reaction to them? Or is it, as my mother likes to point out, just me?
Just got my 2nd shot last Thursday and the only thing that happened was a slight headache. Took some ibuprofen and was good as new. My heart goes out to those who are experiencing more pain besides a slight headache.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:08 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I already mentioned that I had to stay in bed the day after the second shot.

However, I don't care! That's because of an aunt who got shingles. The pain is hard to imagine and until she finally died, all she could do was lie on a couch with no clothes and just a sheet rigged so that it covered her but never actually touched her. She had tried all kinds of pain killers but they didn't work. She even tried acupuncture and that didn't work either.

BTW, my former BIL got shingles when he was in his 30s. It was on his back and wasn't as extreme as the above example but it's another example that you can get it even when you're younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement