Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 04:11 PM

414 posts, read 1,009,953 times

Advertisements

It is quite simple...if the dogs stay on their owners land they can bark at whoever they want!

Please...read the original post and the one on page 11 (I think)

ONE dog stepped off his/her "territory" and came at her, the rest are on their owners land!!

Why is this so hard to follow?? NOBODY is making an excuse for that dog. It shouldn't have happened bottom line. But those others are doing what their instinct tells them to do. You can't ever "wipe out" instinct! Even the well-bred, well-trained, show dogs will protect their owners and their owners property and bark at a stranger. I think everyone needs to realize that dogs will bark. Not wanting a dog to bark at a stranger is like not wanting a person to speak if there is a problem with something!

It is ignorant to lump all these dogs into the same category as the one dog that did not behave properly. The others have every right to bark...they are doing no harm...it's a characteristic many people love/want from their dog. NOT to leave the property and attack like the ONE dog did...but to stay on the property and alert the owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 06:30 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
"It is quite simple...if the dogs stay on their owners land they can bark at whoever they want!"

"ONE dog stepped off his/her "territory" and came at her, the rest are on their owners land!!"

It the city has a leash law, just being on the owner's land doesn't make it legal, at least not any leash laws I've seen. And there's also normally a city code against barking dogs. A few yips isn't likely to get a ticket, but people do have a right to peace and quiet. Dogs don't have special rights, and their owners are responsible for them.

I love dogs. I've had one most of my life. But owners who don't take proper care of their dogs -- keep them fenced it and relatively quiet -- irk me to no end. If your dog is disturbing the neighborhood by barking, get a bark collar or keep them inside when you're not there to control them.

Why is this so hard to follow??

Obviously I'm talking about dogs kept in the city/town. Country dogs can howl with the coyotes and run free all over the owner's property, but city dwellers should insure their pets don't become pests.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:16 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspink View Post
It is quite simple...if the dogs stay on their owners land they can bark at whoever they want!

Please...read the original post and the one on page 11 (I think)

ONE dog stepped off his/her "territory" and came at her, the rest are on their owners land!!

Why is this so hard to follow?? NOBODY is making an excuse for that dog. It shouldn't have happened bottom line. But those others are doing what their instinct tells them to do. You can't ever "wipe out" instinct! Even the well-bred, well-trained, show dogs will protect their owners and their owners property and bark at a stranger. I think everyone needs to realize that dogs will bark. Not wanting a dog to bark at a stranger is like not wanting a person to speak if there is a problem with something!

It is ignorant to lump all these dogs into the same category as the one dog that did not behave properly. The others have every right to bark...they are doing no harm...it's a characteristic many people love/want from their dog. NOT to leave the property and attack like the ONE dog did...but to stay on the property and alert the owners.
These dogs scared her, and she's an adult. Think of what they have done to the children of the community! That yapping pomeranian has probably traumatized many youngsters. No wonder you never see children out riding their bikes any more.

Legislation is needed. Regulationis needed. Whatever legislation and regulation California has needs to go nationwide, don't you think?

Remember, if it saves the life of just one child ....

Old 02-18-2009, 07:46 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
These dogs scared her, and she's an adult. Think of what they have done to the children of the community! That yapping pomeranian has probably traumatized many youngsters. No wonder you never see children out riding their bikes any more.

Legislation is needed. Regulationis needed. Whatever legislation and regulation California has needs to go nationwide, don't you think?

Remember, if it saves the life of just one child ....
The children likely just say "dogie", and it is fine.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:02 PM

414 posts, read 1,009,953 times
Why Dogs Attack People | Dog Info | Dog Breeds | Dog Training

The above is a very good website. It breaks down the reasons why dogs attack and how rare it is. And when it does happen it is usually the owners fault. HOWEVER...there is a whole big section on why they will defend their territory and what triggers that and MOST OFTEN that is done by BARKING...NORMAL BEHAVIOR! The ABNORMAL is the attack! I think that is the point most are trying to convey.

And no...I don't think a dog should have to either be fenced in or on a leash 24-7. If the owner is responsible the dog will not leave its yard. I'm pretty sure also, that if a dog that barks at a person perceived as a threat/intruder the owner is not going to receive a fine/ticket/warning. IT'S NORMAL FOR THEM TO DO IT! Dogs do this.

I'm not defending the bad behavior some dogs display. And I'm certainly not excusing it. It's not right, but usually it's the owners fault. If the dog would have been properly trained, most likely it would only have barked as well (referring to the case the OP presented).

Old 02-18-2009, 09:35 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
If a person lives in town and has dogs that bark,they evidently could care less that the noise bothers others.

If a neighbors barking dogs annoyed me, I would wait til they quit and keep beeping my car horn to see how my neighbor likes noise.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:42 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspink View Post
... If the owner is responsible the dog will not leave its yard....
You're right there. If the owner is responsible he'll have the dog behind a fence.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:57 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
However, we've addressed the issue of invisible fences. For all the OP knows the barking dogs that don't leave their property are behind a fence, she just can't see it. But the owner would be being responsible by having that dog behind the invisible fence, and the OP, thinking that because one dog broke the rules, all dogs attack, would have the same issue.

Say I worry that a car, driven by someone irresponsible, might jump the curb and run over myself or my children on the sidewalk, and every time a car drives by on the street (where it belongs), I'm frightened for that reason - it might jump the curb. After all, cars have done this before, so all cars are extremely likely to do so, in my opinion - after all, I can't tell which car might do that, can I?

So, by some of the reasoning I'm seeing here, there should be laws to prevent cars from driving on the street near sidewalks, because I feel that fear.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:09 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Out by me, in real farm country, ( not pretend "self sufficent' or pretend "homesteading"-------------I am surprised at the number of farms who no longer have dogs.

Many decided it just wasn't worth the hassle of listening to dogs barking at night.

Also, many farmers found out that their loyal dog who always greeted them as they headed to the barn at 5:00AM, had just gotten back from a night of "bumming" all over the neighborhood.

Many farmers stated they don't want a dog that has to be penned up or tied up at night even on a farm.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:14 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,688,020 times
Walk with your head up and be confident...don't make eye contact with the dogs and carry a stick...Just walk. Ignore the dogs. Not to say that you should be unaware...if you carry the scent of wariness/fear the animals will pick up on it. I understand your frustration but lay aside your anger, fear and apprehension and just walk. If the animals come off their property then you have the right to defend yourself. If they run to the edge of their property then just keep moving. And if that doesn't work then as another poster said walk someplace else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living