Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 09:39 PM

66 posts, read 196,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

I detest noise and loud, thumping boom cars drive me bananas!

You may move to your quiet little town, and all it will take is one boom car to destroy the whole town's peace and quiet.
Happily for us here, the nearest town survives on ticket revenue ONLY (no local taxes) That means a rather strict enforcement of the noise ordinance. They prowl for cars that go "boom".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 964 times
Can't post anything here because it'a wiped out.!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-19-2015, 02:19 AM

226 posts, read 266,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Maybe not. We live a long way back some the road, never see or hear cars. The birds can be murder in the morning. And not just the crows.
i found a place like that once, a really weird deal off the highway down a dirt road few people going by and I thought HEY I could do this but THEN I became aware (thankfully before I moved in) that whlle there may be few people coming by to screw with/complicate my life - SNAKES and STUFF are everywhere, OMG, and i found that there are snakes for whom HEIGHTS are no object. When I had an apartment in the suburbs on the 3rd floor, I loved leaving my patio door open mostly for the breeze and ambience but the breeze and ambience could not compensate for climbing out of the shower, getting all set to take my iced to out to the patio and finding a snake between me and the living room door or ANYWHERE, geez, it gives me the creeps - i'm the same way with cockroaches, opening up a cupboard and find one of those nasty things but snakes to it to a whole new level.

DREAMING about how nice it would be sometimes reality doesn't measure up. Even if I didn't see one I'd be thinking about it, I have a good imagination and I think it would not work in my favor.

GUAM is a bad place to be BTW if you don't like snakes.
LOOK before you LEAP!

Old 01-21-2015, 04:58 AM

7,959 posts, read 12,650,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I grew up on a gravel road in a township in northern Illinois where the sole two towns were villages of 350 and 250 people. The only sound in the night is crickets. The only sound during the day is farm machinery and crop dusters. Occasional distant train whistle if the wind is right.
That was before stereo technology advancements?

Old 01-21-2015, 05:58 AM

7,959 posts, read 12,650,382 times
I live in a rural area about 250yrds off a rural lane (not wide enough for two lanes). I still get the occasional load vehicle driving by.

One thing I noticed is the longer you live in a quiet place the more sensitive you are to noise. I was visiting my mother in a suburban area a while back and to me the noise was bad. When I mentioned it to my mother and siblings that were there they all couldn't understand what I was complaining about.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:35 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,245,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I live in a rural area about 250yrds off a rural lane (not wide enough for two lanes). I still get the occasional load vehicle driving by.

One thing I noticed is the longer you live in a quiet place the more sensitive you are to noise. I was visiting my mother in a suburban area a while back and to me the noise was bad. When I mentioned it to my mother and siblings that were there they all couldn't understand what I was complaining about.
I agree.......we live back off the road too.

One time at a barbeque in a friends back yard I remember hearing the neighbor next door flush their toilet.

That would never be a place I would want to live at.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,244 posts, read 80,460,275 times
We are in a city of 50,000, on a wooded plateau 400-600' elevation next to a large lake. Despite being only 25 miles from Seattle, with a major freeway at each end of the plateau, because we are in the middle and up high there is no road noise at all. The traffic in our neighborhood is limited to commute and school bus times. After 7pm it's dead silence except for an occasional owl hoot or frogs in local ponds certain times of the year. Despite being a "bedroom community" there are no street lights near us so we also see a lot more stars at night. With the lots being mostly 12,000 sf or more, the neighbors have never been a noise problem other than one dog that barked at night until those people moved. We never get loud cars or music. Sometimes on still Friday nights in season we may here a bit of the football announcer at the local high school.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,639 posts, read 57,672,293 times
Coyote and owls are the only noise I hear, (While enjoying 50 degree sleeping nights in August with windows WIDE open (No A/C required!). Often slept on Trampoline to enjoy our very few starlit nights, (when kids were home)

Since I am in Big Foot territory, there is occasional crashing noises in the forest
(200 yds away)
The Bigfoot Law: Celebrating 45 Years of Safety | Mysterious Universe

Old 01-23-2015, 08:33 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,804,012 times
I moved into the country on the end of a dead end road. The only things I hear are birds, or the occasional coyote yelp. It's the only way I could find peace and quiet. "Town" is 20 minutes away, but I don't care. I can sit on my patio and hear nothing.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:54 AM

226 posts, read 266,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
My parents live on the outskirts of a town of 7,000 people in southern Illinois. At night, you hear dogs barking, coyotes howling in the woods, and on Friday/Saturday, the drag strip that's about 4-5 miles away (very clearly).

Coyotes howling are wild sounds, the stuff of nature, not the sound of civilization I think. Dogs barking tends to be more of a "civilization" sound such as it is, because often the reason they bark is due to conditions created by homo sapiens, who, despite the name, is not always so wise as advertised.

There are sounds (like coyotes and birds) then there is noise (like idiots who need a new muffler).

I am tired of NOISE but I do appreciate the birds who sing or chirp and say good morning to me and good night in the evening as they make their last visit to the feeder. I think their chatter must include their sharing back and forth the events of their day and travels. I am not privy to their language but it still sounds nice to me.

My neighborhood feels increasingly dangerous and hostile but I still have "my" birds, and for that I am truly grateful but...

I have this sad suspicion that the world has changed too much and so my hopes for real long-lasting peace are for the time when, if there is a God, a heaven, and I am granted entrance, my loved ones, including all the ageless puppies who have shared their lives with me, welcome me home to eternal rest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living