Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 02:38 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,012,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
He isn't naive Robb, no world class player will move to the States in his prime. Yes money talks but the money is in Europe.
Last I check, the European economy is in the toilet and teams are floundering left and right. MLS teams revenues and profits are rising. What do you think happens when the scale levels out?

I know you're smarter than to make blanket statements like "no world class player". You're speaking for people you dont know, people you dont know what their goals are desires are. Do you always speak for other people?

One of my good friends is a world class ortho surgeon. He has been offered jobs all over the world making a lot more than he makes in Kansas City and he never plans on leaving because he likes it here. You never know what will drive people to do what they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
The money is in Europe. Always has been, always will be. Do you honestly think that the top European teams will sit back and let these American teams come and take their best players? It wont happen. Money is good here, trophies are good here, players are happy in Europe etc....
The will always be in Europe? Do you understand how large the United States is and how much money is available in this country? How many European clubs are going bankrupt? How many are struggling? You really think it will ALWAYS be in Europe? You cannot be this foolish. MLS revenues and profits are steadily rising, if you think they wont catch up, you are really clueless.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:50 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,860,537 times
No world class player IN HIS PRIME will move to the States. The Euros doing bad but there will always be money in European football. Football supporters here will always go to see their teams. New York and LA are great cities, but so are London, Barcelona, Paris, Milan, Istanbul etc. I am not slating the MLS, I enjoy it, but Europe will always have the bulk of the talent in their prime and the rest will be in South America.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:52 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,548,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Yes, those players could have made it Europe or they wouldnt have had offers. You dont offer a player a decent contract if they cant make it.
No they wouldn't. They offer want them because they are a big name. They buy them so they can have a larger squad. Believe me when I say this and this is from someone who watches a lot of European football, Beckham would not make it in the PSG starting 11. They are has-beens.

Quote:
You're talking about Messi and Ronaldo, the best of the best. Guess what, 99% of the teams in Europe cant attract them either so dont single out MLS. I'm not talking about Messi and Ronaldo, I am talking about other great players. There are tens of thousands of professional soccer players in this world and a lot of great ones. You think none of those will ever play in MLS? You're flat wrong. Do you know how much money and influence is in this country? Do you understand the attraction of playing in NYC or LA? Once MLS teams are able to match those contracts, they will start coming. It is foolish to think otherwise.
No I am not just talking about Messi and Ronaldo. I am talking about any great player. If Barcelona, Madrid, Man Utd, Bayern etc.. want you, the will get you over any MLS team.

I never said that they wont play in the MLS. They might when they are 34 and cant get into a starting 11 in a PL club.

Do you understand the attraction of playing in Barcelona, Madrid, Munchen and London? Do you understand the history and the atmosphere that the Estadio Bernabeu? Do you understand how rich Man City and Chelsea are and what kind of contracts they can offer? Do you understand the lure the Premier League and Uefa Champions League has on a player?

You might match the contracts but you wont outbid them and then it will come down club status. Ok, LA Galaxy are offering me 200k a week and so are Barcelona. Who should I go for? A team that dont even play in the biggest club competition in the world and play in a league that is very poor in quality or do I want to go to a Champions League winning team and play with great players and win trophies and play in a wonderful stadium full of history and live the glory. I know what I would pick.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I know you're smarter than to make blanket statements like "no world class player". You're speaking for people you dont know, people you dont know what their goals are desires are. Do you always speak for other people?
Back at you. You also cant speak for world class players. So lets just base this on what's going on now. How many world class players play in the MLS? Answer: none. How many play in Europe? Answer: way to many.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Back at you. You also cant speak for world class players. So lets just base this on what's going on now. How many world class players play in the MLS? Answer: none. How many play in Europe? Answer: way to many.
I never spoke for anyone, I never made any blanket statements. Claiming you know the future and what people will do is foolish. I never claimed anyone will do anything. I am just not stupid enough to think that certain things will NEVER happen or make blanket statements like NO one will do this or that.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:

You might match the contracts but you wont outbid them and then it will come down club status. Ok, LA Galaxy are offering me 200k a week and so are Barcelona. Who should I go for? A team that dont even play in the biggest club competition in the world and play in a league that is very poor in quality or do I want to go to a Champions League winning team and play with great players and win trophies and play in a wonderful stadium full of history and live the glory. I know what I would pick.

It will come down to club status? Here you go again thinking that every human being in this world thinks the same way and wants the same things from life. It doesnt work that way and never will. It doesnt matter what you would pick or what I would pick. It is what each individual player is seeking and if you think that no player will ever take a chance and come to the US to play in his prime, you are foolish and have no understanding of people and how they operate.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
No world class player IN HIS PRIME will move to the States. The Euros doing bad but there will always be money in European football. Football supporters here will always go to see their teams. New York and LA are great cities, but so are London, Barcelona, Paris, Milan, Istanbul etc. I am not slating the MLS, I enjoy it, but Europe will always have the bulk of the talent in their prime and the rest will be in South America.
South American talent has slowly been migrating to MLS. A fairly large population of MLS players are from South America and better and better players are coming up here to play because the MLS is far more stable than a lot of the South American leagues.

You are also a fool if you think you can speak for every great player that will ever play the game. Not everyone wants the same things in life.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:10 PM

Wayne Rooney is only 26 and there are rumors he could be headed to MLS as soon as next season. He's even hinted at it.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
It will come down to club status? Here you go again thinking that every human being in this world thinks the same way and wants the same things from life. It doesnt work that way and never will. It doesnt matter what you would pick or what I would pick. It is what each individual player is seeking and if you think that no player will ever take a chance and come to the US to play in his prime, you are foolish and have no understanding of people and how they operate.
You really dont get how football works. Yes I can say that every good player woul d pick Barca over any MLS team. You keep talking about being foolish when the truth is that you are the one being a fool. You really do have this USA is the best thing going for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer