Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 06:34 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Wrong. When I fly I generally NEED to be there. It's called making a living. It's not a trip to Disney or a trip to visit the grandparents. If I wasn't on the plane, I wouldn't have a job. That is a need.
The other poster wasn't referring to YOU SPECIFICALLY. Wow, everything is ALL ABOUT YOU, isn't it?

Old 06-19-2014, 06:36 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Wow just wow...no words
Ummmm ... you do recognize sarcasm when you read it, don't you?

Old 06-19-2014, 07:23 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Ummmm ... you do recognize sarcasm when you read it, don't you?
Ummm actually I do think it was quite serious

Old 06-19-2014, 07:27 AM

703 posts, read 870,835 times
Quote:
The age of 3-4 was mentioned in an early post. Old enough to understand "inside voices."
It depends, so if they were correctly raised, then that should be the case. Just remember that there are the kids out there with mental illnesses, and it's a bigger challenge to control them.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:52 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
It depends, so if they were correctly raised, then that should be the case. Just remember that there are the kids out there with mental illnesses, and it's a bigger challenge to control them.
Yes of course. I guess as far as I'm concerned anyway, we all know kids will act up for a variety of reasons and what ticks me off is the parents who make NO attempt what so ever to deal with and quiet their lil darlings.

Yes I realize sometimes you can't quiet an infant or toddler but make an attempt, rock them cuddle them, but when you have a 7 year old behind you constantly kicking your seat and parent is oblivious you want to turn around and swat them like you would a fly or gnat.

When I see a parent truly attempting, well then I'm not annoyed just sympathize with them

Old 06-19-2014, 07:56 AM

509 posts, read 1,262,323 times
Quote:
The sad thing is that people create drama in their own lives by making various choices and then expecting others to fix the problems they create with those choices.
"people create drama" can also be applied to people who create drama in their minds when hearing a little one crying or talking too loud. Also, "by making various choices" it is a choice someone makes to be bothered by a crying child. Then, "expecting others to fix the problems" can be applied to the person who is bothered to expect the parent/guardian to fix the problem of a crying, loud talking, etc. child even though the parent is doing what they can (with very limited space, limited options) to quiet the child. "they create with those choices", everyone has choices, someone's choice to have no children, have one child, or have four (as in my case) is thankfully not up to anyone but oneself.

Many posts lament the lack of parenting. Unfortunately no one stranger can do anything about it except be an example of kindness to that parent and then, well, just let it go.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:00 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Genuine question here. We are moving next month and are flying five hours. I have a 4 yo (as well as a peaceful 1.5 yo). Should I print him a T-shirt that says "I'm autistic, please be patient with me"? I wonder if people would be less likely to mumble at me for not drugging my little brat. I do plan on doing it anyways with his name/info as he can't answer questions if he wanders...

Old 06-19-2014, 09:09 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Genuine question here. We are moving next month and are flying five hours. I have a 4 yo (as well as a peaceful 1.5 yo). Should I print him a T-shirt that says "I'm autistic, please be patient with me"? I wonder if people would be less likely to mumble at me for not drugging my little brat. I do plan on doing it anyways with his name/info as he can't answer questions if he wanders...
Perfect example of "the rest of the story."

Have a heart people, you don't know what any parent is dealing with.

Maybe it's a crappy parent, or maybe there is more to the story.

Good luck aliss2, have a peaceful flight.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:12 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Labeling his shirt with important info sounds like a good idea in your case. Or maybe just a wristband for the sake of discretion? But the 'be patient' part is probably not necessary. Most people have had children or otherwise understand how hard it can be. They also know that there are plenty of legitimate reasons for bringing children onboard. The others probably wouldn't read it or care even if they did.

Last edited by otterprods; 06-19-2014 at 09:33 AM..

Old 06-19-2014, 09:14 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvodene View Post
Since I don't believe children that young have any business being on an airliner, I would not be any less likely to grumble and glare.

I agree, but if the parent(s) were really trying, I would be more sympathetic. Generally what I run into is one mother with 2-3 little ones and no other help, or a situation where the guy puts on big headphones and doesn't lift a finger while the kids squak. No real good reason for them to be on the plane to begin with, with rare exception. We drove halfway across the country in the back of a station wagon when we were that age (MA to FL) when we had to do it (and no, our parents didn't take us to restaurants either until we were older).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel