Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 01:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So this brings up another point.

My husband and I fly Southwest, and we don't pay the upgrade for priority seating, but we do sign in 24 hours ahead to try to get the best seats we can get.

He would always say "I hope we get an aisle seat". Meaning, he hopes HE can get an aisle seat. Which damns me to the middle seat.

I prefer 1. a window seat or, 2. an aisle seat. Everyone hates the middle.

So I've just stopped sitting next to him. I sit in a window seat. ....
Yup, we sit aisle / aisle or window / aisle and if someone takes middle... GONE, they get it (we stay in our seats.)

While someone (selfish) may choose to save seats, they do not have the exclusive right to do so, nor will they be supported by SWA staff to do so.

EVERY unoccupied seat is available and if someone wants the seat you are saving, they can take it. SWA would tell you to move and go find some other seats together.

I see it every week (sometimes 10+ flights / week on SWA). Every unoccupied Seat is available.

Save if you want, but... Every unoccupied Seat is available.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:51 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yup, we sit aisle / aisle or window / aisle and if someone takes middle... GONE, they get it (we stay in our seats.)

While someone (selfish) may choose to save seats, they do not have the exclusive right to do so, nor will they be supported by SWA staff to do so.

EVERY unoccupied seat is available and if someone wants the seat you are saving, they can take it. SWA would tell you to move and go find some other seats together.

I see it every week (sometimes 10+ flights / week on SWA). Every unoccupied Seat is available.

This is bull. I've flown Southwest plenty of times and have never seen someone be told to relinquish a saved seat. As I mentioned up thread, I've even been told by a gate agent to have my kid save a seat for me when he had early boarding and I didn't and I didn't feel like paying an extra $40 for both of us to have it. If you say a seat is for your spouse/kid/parent/friend who is about to board, no flight attendant tells you too bad, move your stuff, they just point out other empty seats to the person who is trying to sit there.

It's accurate that they won't let you keep a seat empty when you aren't saving it for another passenger just so you can fly next to an empty seat. But that's not remotely the same thing.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:54 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It's accurate that they won't let you keep a seat empty when you aren't saving it for another passenger just so you can fly next to an empty seat. But that's not remotely the same thing.

How would anyone tell the difference until the plane is completely loaded?

Old 03-22-2019, 01:57 PM

6,708 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Are you a flight attendant?

Old 03-22-2019, 05:28 PM

350 posts, read 229,901 times
Sounds to me that your wife might not have wanted to sit with you.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:58 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
No, they're not. The passengers who are coveting my row are the ones who didn't pay for early bird or business select, so are coming in at the end of B or beginning of C when most of the aisle/window seats near the front of the plane are taken. No one is entitled to any particular seat, so it's not like the people ahead of them were "cheated" out of it. What you want and what you are entitled to are different things. I didn't think I would need to spell that out, but okay.
Ha ha ha ha. No one is entitled to any particular seat. You said it. What you want and what you are entitled to are different things. You said it.

Pay to upgrade or take the risk that your family might not sit together. It's really not that hard to understand.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:01 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
If SW actually caves to selfish people, that’s a good reason not to fly on them with their “open” seating that really isn’t, in such cases.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:41 PM

6,708 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Ha ha ha ha. No one is entitled to any particular seat. You said it. What you want and what you are entitled to are different things. You said it.

Pay to upgrade or take the risk that your family might not sit together. It's really not that hard to understand.
Ha ha ha ha. No one is entitled to any particular seat. You said it.

If someone's saving a seat for their loved one, therefore, you just keep going until you find an empty seat. It's really not that hard to understand.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:46 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
If SW actually caves to selfish people, that’s a good reason not to fly on them with their “open” seating that really isn’t, in such cases.
Personally, I love the idea of getting on a plane and choosing my seat mates based on which seats are still empty.

No surprises. If you don't want to sit next to a baby, don't.

If you don't want to sit next to a person who will likely take up much of your seat, don't.

When you board a plane with assigned seating, you don't know who you'll be paired with, unless, of course, you're with family who have been assigned to all the seats in a row.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:48 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,524,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Exactly to Clara's post. If Southwest said seat saving wasn't allowed, then by all means, enforce that rule strictly. But when the owner of the plane says it's ok to save seats for your travelling companions, then people who have a need or a desire for a particular seat or location should be the ones owning that and pay for their own early boarding to make sure they get the seat they want. It's not the responsibility of someone following the airline's own practices to have to yield a seat that the airline said they could save.
The airline says they don't have a policy on it.

If there is no one in the seat, the seat is open and anyone is entitled to take the seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel