Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 12:38 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times

Advertisements

You can skip the scanners/xray at the airport. They will just pat you down instead.

That's the only security precaution I can think of that's done when flying but not when driving across the border checkpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 06:52 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
You can skip the scanners/xray at the airport. They will just pat you down instead.

That's the only security precaution I can think of that's done when flying but not when driving across the border checkpoint.
Ya know, now that I'm thinking about it, did OP ever say specifically that TSA or security procedures? I realize that some of my comments reflect that assumption, but maybe that's not the 'philosophical issue's against flying.

Maybe it's the recycled air. Maybe it's a protest related to paying to check luggage. Maybe she's read too many articles about planes disappearing (Malaysia 370, etc) and believes they are being captured by aliens. Maybe it's the tiny seats, airline food or bad coffee. Who knows.

You know what? I actually DO understand the motivation here. OP wants her family to meet her new baby. There's a much easier, simple solution that doesn't involve her and baby getting on a plane or dragging her defenseless child on a crazy, irresponsible, cross country road trip. Let Grandma and Grandpa fly to Alaska.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
The wedding is in Pennsylvania.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:54 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The wedding is in Pennsylvania.
Pictures and video are a wonderful thing. And more than a fleeting memory.

Rhetorical question: (God forbid) OP's parent or sibling is in hospice with days to live. Not enough time to drive cross country (with or without the baby). Philosophical issues will (and should) fly away.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:47 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Don't expect to make the trip all in one go.

Beyond the drivers rest and weather delay aspects...
PLAN a day or two at ~Seattle then another day or two at ~Chicago before continuing to the end point.
She said she'd be taking 7 to 8 days of travel time, and then a week of actual visit, and then make the return trip. Sounds like she's given herself lots of travel time.

OP, I think your trip is NOT in the realm of impossible. You're factoring in lots of breaks, so I think it's do-able.

If anything is going to make you crazy, it's going to be having to hear the shark song over and over and over. ;-)

Old 03-27-2019, 09:07 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
If anything is going to make you crazy, it's going to be having to hear the shark song over and over and over. ;-)
Completely off topic but one of the fun things about being the parent of an older kid (mine is 14) is that now *I'm* the one who gets to drive HIM crazy now, playing that song.

Back on topic, OP, what does your husband think you should do? Is he one of the people who thinks this is a crazy idea?

Old 03-27-2019, 09:11 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,723 times
Quote:
She said she'd be taking 7 to 8 days of travel time, and then a week of actual visit, and then make the return trip. Sounds like she's given herself lots of travel time.

OP, I think your trip is NOT in the realm of impossible. You're factoring in lots of breaks, so I think it's do-able.

The one-way trip is 4200 miles. For 7 days, that'd be 600 miles a day. Averaging 60 MPH (which is probably the best she can do with the number of stops she'll need to make) would make for 10 hours of driving a day. For a week. Straight. That's grueling. It's not in the realm of impossible, but it doesn't sound like a lot of fun. 8-10 days is probably more realistic.

It sounds a bit like OP is extrapolating her one-way driving move to Alaska, which occurred with her mate and without a toddler, into her round-trip solo-driving excursion on her own. It's going to be a lot different. Plus, talking about sleeping at rest stops with a two-year-old? No thanks.

Nevermind, she's not even factoring in the true cost of this trip. True cost of driving (gas, wear and tear, and depreciation) makes this a $4200 trip. Right now, I can fly from ANC to BWI in August Saturday to Saturday, with a rental car from BWI, and fuel to Gettysburg and back for $1500, and that's just a quick search--plenty of ways to bring that cost down a bit. 10 hours out with 1 stop.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:48 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
The one-way trip is 4200 miles. For 7 days, that'd be 600 miles a day. Averaging 60 MPH (which is probably the best she can do with the number of stops she'll need to make) would make for 10 hours of driving a day. For a week. Straight. That's grueling. It's not in the realm of impossible, but it doesn't sound like a lot of fun. 8-10 days is probably more realistic.

It sounds a bit like OP is extrapolating her one-way driving move to Alaska, which occurred with her mate and without a toddler, into her round-trip solo-driving excursion on her own. It's going to be a lot different. Plus, talking about sleeping at rest stops with a two-year-old? No thanks.

Nevermind, she's not even factoring in the true cost of this trip. True cost of driving (gas, wear and tear, and depreciation) makes this a $4200 trip. Right now, I can fly from ANC to BWI in August Saturday to Saturday, with a rental car from BWI, and fuel to Gettysburg and back for $1500, and that's just a quick search--plenty of ways to bring that cost down a bit. 10 hours out with 1 stop.

If it were me, I'd rent a car. And if given the choice, I'd do a road trip too. Sometimes, it's not practical, with time restraints and such...but heck, I'd take a road trip if I could.

With a road trip, it's JUST her and her child to worry about. Don't have to deal with a squirmy, uncomfortable child on an airplane, with everyone's dissaproval because her kid is acting up. I think she'll be fine.

She WANTS a road trip. She ASKED for suggestions for doing a road trip with a 2 yr. old. What's the point of saying "Don't do road trip"?

And yes, I've done road trips with toddlers. But mine was 3 days. Not 7 or 8. OP...it MIGHT make sense to travel at night, when your baby is sleeping. Less distraction, less stops, less traffic, etc. Just a thought.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:02 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,725 times
I have a toddler. And older kids who were toddlers. The older ones were awesome travelers in the car. We routinely made 8 hour one way trips that crossed into the Canadian border (and yes, it can be awful going through border security at times). I think at one point we did this monthly. I don't think we would have attempted a cross country trip at those ages. I think our max was two back to back days of travel followed by several days of staying in one place before returning. It just isn't great for the kids after a certain point. I think they were 9 and 10 when we made our first several days drive to a place, and also that year was their first flight (across the Atlantic, so long). All that to say, we didn't push it with huge trips when they were little because we wanted to them to enjoy travel. It made the big trips we took later so much more enjoyable because they didn't have a sour attitude about travel already.

I have a toddler now too. He is pretty great in the car. Although this time around I think the longest trip he has done is about 5.5 hours. We are no longer an 8 hour drive from family. It's a west coast/east coast situation now. I think it is really unfair to a toddler to subject them to that kind of trip, in whatever form (flying or driving). If I want to visit my family, my husband takes vacation and stays with our son while I go. Same for if he wants to visit his family. He goes and I stay home with our little one. I have gotten so much grief from people back home because they want to meet him, but you know what? He isn't an item to show off. He's my wonderful and very busy and needs all his sleep 3 year old and subjecting him to all that travel, not to mention the time change isn't fair to him at all. Soon enough he will be old enough to travel and then we'll all go.

So, all that to say if the OP wants to go to the wedding, then go by yourself. I am sorry you won't fly. You could be up and back in a weekend. I totally get wanting to see family, but please reconsider taking your little one. You said it would be very tight if you brought a companion. Are you driving a single cab truck?

Old 03-27-2019, 10:07 AM

356 posts, read 176,034 times
Quote:
If it were me, I'd rent a car. And if given the choice, I'd do a road trip too. Sometimes, it's not practical, with time restraints and such...but heck, I'd take a road trip if I could.

With a road trip, it's JUST her and her child to worry about. Don't have to deal with a squirmy, uncomfortable child on an airplane, with everyone's dissaproval because her kid is acting up. I think she'll be fine.

She WANTS a road trip. She ASKED for suggestions for doing a road trip with a 2 yr. old. What's the point of saying "Don't do road trip"?

And yes, I've done road trips with toddlers. But mine was 3 days. Not 7 or 8. OP...it MIGHT make sense to travel at night, when your baby is sleeping. Less distraction, less stops, less traffic, etc. Just a thought.
She does want to do a road trip, but she didn't just ask for suggestions, but also whether it's just crazy. Although I think she was going to do whatever she wanted anyway.

If she drives at night with baby sleeping, when does mom/driver sleep?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel