Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 08:42 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,438,920 times

Advertisements

Oh, I had meant to comment on IL VOLO too. How often does AI give us really awesome singers as the filler-entertainment? Those guys were awesome! I looked up their bio...two are 18 and one is 19.
Il Volo : Biography
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 08:43 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Lauren and Scotty......two VERY BIG thumbs up for them!
Now, the thing is, Lauren can do a much better cross-over into Pop/Rock than Scotty can. Scotty is pretty much Country only. Wonder if that will hurt him in the end?
Have to agree, Haley left very honorably and gracefully. Very proud of Haley!
Gracefully? Ya, not like when she fell up the steps last night

I always thought she couldn't move well, mechanical, no real connection with the music....and she left no differently than any other bumped off contestant...but she did manage to do it without swearing, for a change.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:50 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,679,518 times
Well I felt Scotty was be there but it was a nail-bitter for the other! It was hard to see him crying...It was hard to see all the damage in the south. I am really glad they showed that. Easy for us in other areas to forget. I fast forward that gal singer, I thought she was from the PC group
My little Italiano guys...Simon's new group? They were fantastic!
Now I am really looking forward to next week.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Just signing in from Arizona, avoiding earlier posts about winners, but I just have to say... DANG! Those Italian singers are amazing!!! Kinda gives you a different view of our three teenagers, yes? What lungs! The one in the middle is yummy! And I like that one of them is kinda geeky. What amazing voices!!! WHEW! WOW.

That is what you call real talent.

It is a shame Idol can't get people of that caliber on the show.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:59 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Oh, I had meant to comment on IL VOLO too. How often does AI give us really awesome singers as the filler-entertainment? Those guys were awesome! I looked up their bio...two are 18 and one is 19.
Il Volo : Biography
These guys definitely were awesome. I love their song, "Smile" and just might have to buy that one.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:08 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,350,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I absolutely loved the reaction on the face! Priceless!

If looks could kill... Sorry but I wonder if that girl will ever realize that attitude is probably what caused her to lose.

That was worth the price of admission...she was absolutely shocked that she didn't make it -- and didn't make any attempt whatsoever to hide it.
Even the Haley fans must have seen it for what it was -- her arrogance in assuming she had it won. Goodbye, Wail-ee!!

Old 05-19-2011, 09:19 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,387,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've read a bit about people thinking that Lauren's sugary sweet, wide-eyed, kinda ditzy innocent thing is a turnoff for some (presumably the ones who prefer the polar opposite-ness of Haley)... and I got to thinking that, as somebody who's never been nuts about Lauren, it's really not about "not liking somebody who's nice," for me. To me, when I think of past contestants who've really impressed me as lovely people, genuinely nice people, given how they present themselves on the show, I immediately think of Melinda Doolittle, the girl who was in the top three with Blake Lewis the season that Jordin Sparks won. For every single one of her performances, she came off as supremely gracious, sincerely nice, and downright serene and down to earth. I've got no problem with nice. But Lauren's version of nice seems like a syruppy act she's playing up, all wide-eyed and aw-shucks. I think it's a crutch she uses to make up for her lack of confidence, and it's a maturity thing (Melinda was one of the oldest contestants, if memory serves, and I bought her niceness as more sincere, less of an act). It reminds me a bit of how David Archuleta came off as simply too naive and saccharine the season David Cook won. Lauren's wide-eyed act never strikes me as totally believable. "Ah don't wanna be AY-vul, Ms. Gaga!!!"
I don't know. If she were in her 20's maybe you could say that. IMHO all three of these top contestants are just so young and really struggling with the whole fame, intense schedule, learning new songs, being on stage in front of millions, being VOTED on frevvinsakes every freaking week, and they are just exhausted. That showed in the home visits. They've been cloistered in this unreal environment, had every movement videotaped, have been away from their support group for the most part, and they all lost it when reality was shoved in their faces in spades from the inside of a limo. I think it's a miracle that they are marginally sane. They are acting the way they think they are supposed to. All grown up. But not really.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:21 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,617,027 times
I came back again tonight because I wanted to see if anyone else first looked at Haley tonight and thought she was wearing a tiara? lol First glance, that is what I thought...then later decided it must be a hair band of some sort?

Scotty and Lauren remind me some of Clay/Ruben and Adam/Kris in how each of the final two were both genuinely happy to be there together and neither would have been upset to have the other come out in 1st place. I like that.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:24 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,617,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
I don't know. If she were in her 20's maybe you could say that. IMHO all three of these top contestants are just so young and really struggling with the whole fame, intense schedule, learning new songs, being on stage in front of millions, being VOTED on frevvinsakes every freaking week, and they are just exhausted. That showed in the home visits. They've been cloistered in this unreal environment, had every movement videotaped, have been away from their support group for the most part, and they all lost it when reality was shoved in their faces in spades from the inside of a limo. I think it's a miracle that they are marginally sane. They are acting the way they think they are supposed to. All grown up. But not really.
I feel the exact same way. I also wondered if perhaps some of the judges comments were intended to take into consideration the age of Scotty and Lauren as compared to Haley.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:25 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,873,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I'm happy with the final two. Remember when nobody wanted Scotty on their team during the group song at auditions? HA!!
It's not that no one wanted him. If I remember correctly, he was going around looking for the perfect group. He wouldn't just work with anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV