Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2015, 01:54 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times

Advertisements

LOVED the "wait, wait?" on the white walker's face when his staff did not break Jon's sword.

The main one had spiky icicles on his head. Is he a king? And they are really close to the wall now, aren't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 02:45 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Just to give you a little timeline... this is history, so not really current show spoilers...

The last time the White Walkers appeared was around 8,000 years ago. It took the combined people of Westeros to defeat them. Sometime after that, Brandon the Builder (an early Stark King) built the Wall, with help from many others (giants, magic, etc). The Wall was to keep the White Walkers from coming back. Over time, the purpose of the wall was bastardized into dividing Westeros into two--free folk (wildlings) and the people south of the wall.

Since it's been 8,000 years, the stories about White Walkers are just that... stories, myths, the stuff of legends.

Targaryens: They conquered Westeros about 300 years ago. So they are a very recent event, when put in time perspective.

At one time, there were several great families living on Valyria. Maybe 10-12 families. They all had dragons, and between them, ruled all of Essos from their island of Valyria. They mostly left Westeros alone. About five hundred years ago, one minor family, the Targaryens, got pissed at the other Valyrians (not sure why), and picked up their dragons and moved to Dragonstone, a mostly vacant island at that time. Dragonstone was far closer to Westeros than Valyria was, and the Targaryens tried to have a peaceful relationship with the seven ruling families. There was no King over Westeros, it was the seven ruling families/kingdoms.

Maybe a hundred years after they left Valyria, the Doom struck Valyria. Killed every person, and their dragons. The only Valyrians left were the Targaryens (and their dragons), by the blind luck of their having moved off Valyria a hundred or so years before.

The relationship between Westeros and the Targaryens was becoming more strained as time went by, and a couple of the Kings even tried to pull some BS, such as committing to being a peaceful partner, then betraying them. Finally Aegon Targaryen had enough, and declared war. With his two sisters, and on their three dragons, some of the largest dragons ever seen, they attacked and conquered Westeros. Thus we had Aegon the Conqueror, and the first of the Targaryen Kings. That dynasty lasted about 300 years, until the Mad King (Danaerys' father) and Robert's Revolt.

This is a very simplified history, and I may have rounded some years up or down to the closest hundred. But you get the idea...
This is great! Thanks. I FINALLY got caught up last night so I can come back to this thread. This last episode was great. I really enjoyed it. I agree with the poster who said they are over Ayra's storyline. I kind of am too. Loved the scene between Dany and Tyrion and also when Sansa found out her brothers are still alive. Good stuff.

I have the books and started reading them, but then I decided to wait until the season was over. I know I won't be able to wait until the series is over. I'll probably start reading the week after episode 10. I missed so many episodes because I was moving so now I have to figure out which box those books are in. *sigh* Anyway, it's good to be caught up again. I felt like I was living under a rock. lol

Old 06-03-2015, 04:41 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,603,432 times
Was I the only one thinking the white walker was going to destroy all, think water bending, the boats when he was lifting his arms before the his army stood?

Old 06-03-2015, 05:07 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,990,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
Yeah, if the walkers can't swim then I guess the safest place to be is across the Narrow Sea in Essos (in the desert land).

That's what I was thinking! Island!

Old 06-03-2015, 06:20 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,727,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
That's what I was thinking! Island!
Or flying on a dragon's back.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:09 PM

The episode was like 28 Days later meets Clan of the Cave Bear.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:42 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona13 View Post
This is great! Thanks. I FINALLY got caught up last night so I can come back to this thread. This last episode was great. I really enjoyed it. I agree with the poster who said they are over Ayra's storyline. I kind of am too. Loved the scene between Dany and Tyrion and also when Sansa found out her brothers are still alive. Good stuff.

I have the books and started reading them, but then I decided to wait until the season was over. I know I won't be able to wait until the series is over. I'll probably start reading the week after episode 10. I missed so many episodes because I was moving so now I have to figure out which box those books are in. *sigh* Anyway, it's good to be caught up again. I felt like I was living under a rock. lol
I'm not interested in Arya's story either. They don't devote too much time to it, so I guess it's just setting it up for next season? There was a lot of setting it up for next season in this season, but I understand not a lot happens in books 4 and 5 either (or is it 5 and 6?).

I loved the scene with Dany and Tyrion. She really needs Tyrion's advice. Her boyfriend isn't giving good advice at all.

How are they going to fit everything into the next two episodes? I want to see more Dany and Tyrion, and I especially want to see more of what happens with Margery and Cercei. Honestly, I don't care all that much about the battle between Stannis and the Boltons, though I know people love extended battle scenes. I'm afraid they're going to devote most of the next episode to that battle and leave very little time for the other scenes. I would prefer they only spend 10 minutes on the battle and devote the rest of the time to the other events.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:20 PM

Arya is boring me.

I want to see Dany and Tyrion get it on. He is so hot.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:03 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,428,704 times
So I was having a really hard time getting my wife to watch this show with me. It didnt help how slow the season has been. She was like "WHats the point of this show." Well shes totally into walking dead.....see where Im going here?

She was in the kitchen making her some popcorn and once the clouds rolled over the mountains I said "Look honey, walking dead is on." Totally confused her lol.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:23 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,727,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
So I was having a really hard time getting my wife to watch this show with me. It didnt help how slow the season has been. She was like "WHats the point of this show." Well shes totally into walking dead.....see where Im going here?

She was in the kitchen making her some popcorn and once the clouds rolled over the mountains I said "Look honey, walking dead is on." Totally confused her lol.
Nice move. You need to join Tyrion and start advising Daenerys.

Also, play the opening scene of Season 1, Episode 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV