Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 07:52 AM

193 posts, read 147,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
When the commander was sending June to see her daughter, he said “You deserve this”. Clearly he wasn’t talking about letting her see her daughter as a reward for her obedience. She told him he’d never know what it’s like to have a child so now instead of suspecting the child is Nick’s, he knows it is. Then Nick gets shot and hauled off and June’s left alone in the middle of nowhere. I shudder to think what he believes she deserves and how he’s arranged to give it to her. Last 2 episodes of the season are gonna be intense!
I didn't know how to take that...

i can't imagine he would deny Serena her child that she so clearly longs for. But maybe because its confirmed that its neither biologically his nor hers he doesn't care. And he's pretty petty and vengeful.

I also thought he could have been trying to keep her quiet about the rape. Or maybe he felt closer to her after that-- they have not had the ceremony in a while. He clearly enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 07:54 AM

193 posts, read 147,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Right??

I get so tired of people saying "oh my! Too depressing!" when we have actual scenes like this going on with parents being separated from their kids and not knowing when they will see them again (if ever) in real life. Its just a TV show. If you have to look away from this because its not rainbows and sunshine, what will you do if (and when) terrible things happen in real life?

But yeah I thought this was the last episode of the season. So relieved. Fred was really dumb to do this. He may have set Nick up, especially after that little piece of vitriol June spewed at him in his study. Not sure though.

Anyone feel sad for Eden? She is a baby and not the sharpest tool in the shed but when she realized she was basically staring down the barrel of a lifetime without any love, I felt my heart break for her.

Meanwhile, the June/Hannah scene tore me a new one. Just gutting. But again, not far from reality.

I did. I felt sad for her. She is a child without a full understanding of adult relationships. She was brainwashed and set up for an arranged marriage. She is now starting to grasp what that really means.

Nick should have reported her kiss and gotten her out of the way. But he's too good a person for that. She will be his downfall.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:08 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatedogadvice View Post
I did. I felt sad for her. She is a child without a full understanding of adult relationships. She was brainwashed and set up for an arranged marriage. She is now starting to grasp what that really means.

Nick should have reported her kiss and gotten her out of the way. But he's too good a person for that. She will be his downfall.
Agreed. Or, Nick should be listening to June and making it work. He could have at least had a conversation with Eden that he himself was struggling with an arranged marriage and that it would just take time. Then he needed to hold that kiss over her since he knew she saw those letters he had.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:16 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Oh my gosh! You couldn't pay me enough to stop watching this now.

Same!

This show's entire premise is depressing and oppressive. Yes, the rape scenes are particularly difficult to watch but I think they belong in this show.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:18 AM

4,032 posts, read 2,718,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Agreed. Or, Nick should be listening to June and making it work. He could have at least had a conversation with Eden that he himself was struggling with an arranged marriage and that it would just take time. Then he needed to hold that kiss over her since he knew she saw those letters he had.

Or even explain to Eden that in the time before, that a relationship between a man his age and a female her age was seen as wrong, immoral, and illegal, and that he's still having trouble breaking himself of that thought process. She might not fully understand it, but she'd at least know it has nothing specifically to do with her, and instead has to do with the "Days of Anarchy" that Nick was brought up in.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Right??

I get so tired of people saying "oh my! Too depressing!" when we have actual scenes like this going on with parents being separated from their kids and not knowing when they will see them again (if ever) in real life. Its just a TV show. If you have to look away from this because its not rainbows and sunshine, what will you do if (and when) terrible things happen in real life?

But yeah I thought this was the last episode of the season. So relieved. Fred was really dumb to do this. He may have set Nick up, especially after that little piece of vitriol June spewed at him in his study. Not sure though.

Anyone feel sad for Eden? She is a baby and not the sharpest tool in the shed but when she realized she was basically staring down the barrel of a lifetime without any love, I felt my heart break for her.

Meanwhile, the June/Hannah scene tore me a new one. Just gutting. But again, not far from reality.
I did feel bad for Eden.

She's a young girl living in a very oppressive society. The kiss with the other Eye must have been heavenly for her and it made me sad to think of how all the young people in that society would be missing out on the joys of young love. So many casualties - big and small - in such a society, wouldn't you say?

The Inside the Episode for this week said many of the lines Hannah says to June are taken word for word from interviews the show's creators did with counselors for kids from war-torn regions.

Oh! I didn't even think it could be a set up for Nick... good idea!

Old 06-21-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Or even explain to Eden that in the time before, that a relationship between a man his age and a female her age was seen as wrong, immoral, and illegal, and that he's still having trouble breaking himself of that thought process. She might not fully understand it, but she'd at least know it has nothing specifically to do with her, and instead has to do with the "Days of Anarchy" that Nick was brought up in.
Yes. I understand why the kiss didn't bother Nick. After all, he's in love with June so he clearly understands how and why these things happen. I'd imagine it may have been somewhat of a relief for him actually? I'd like to see Eden's reaction to being told about the days "before."

Old 06-21-2018, 10:09 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Same!

This show's entire premise is depressing and oppressive. Yes, the rape scenes are particularly difficult to watch but I think they belong in this show.
I agree. Sexual violence against women happens so depressingly often and it's not like they are glamorizing it. There's no nudity or soft lighting. The characters are in no way ambiguous about their lack of interest. It's part and parcel of the society of Gilead. I don't feel for a moment that it doesn't serve the narrative. I don't feel as though it's unrealistic in it's portrayal of what honestly happens during a rape- the detachment, the need to just get through it and survive. I say this as a woman who has been raped. I always think that the show gets it right.

I never understand why people feel the need to look away from a show like this. It's a safe way to create understanding about things that really do happen. Stories teach us about the world and this is truly just a powerful story. It could create empathy for the woman in the DRC or the families who had their kids ripped from them at the border. It could open up a channel of understanding that these things happen every single day even in places where people live comfortably.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:10 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Right??

Right! My sister and I can't ever go to movies together, because she can't handle anything that's not lighthearted and entertaining. It drives me crazy. (Of course, she's dealt with a lot of crap in real life, so maybe she just doesn't want to have to see any more than she does on a regular basis.)

Quote:
Wow, I never even thought that Fred might have set Nick up. I really hope that wasn't the case. I mean the child is almost certainly Nick's, but even that isn't an absolute fact.

Quote:
I feel terribly sad for Eden. She is just so naive. She tries so hard, but she'll never be able to get Nick to love her. It's truly very sad.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:12 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
As for the ending I hope Nick isn't going to be killed and hung on the wall. I'm assuming June will be giving birth alone before anybody can get to her. That would really stick it to Serena wouldn't it?
Oh, I hope that doesn't happen. Nick is one of my favorite characters. That would just be tragic, in my opinion. About June giving birth alone, yeah, that would certainly stick it to Serena-the-b_tch. I'd love to see that happen. Oh my gosh, there are so many villains in this show!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV