Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2017, 01:46 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times

Advertisements

In the process of questioning how Gendry could possibly have run so fast back to the wall, we are also overlooking how he was able to find his way. He had never been north of the wall before, the snowfall obliterated any landmarks, and visibility seemed limited to a few hundred feet in front of him.

Did the group leave a trail of breadcrumbs for Gendry to follow? Did he have Google maps to help him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 01:48 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
In the process of questioning how Gendry could possibly have run so fast back to the wall, we are also overlooking how he was able to find his way. He had never been north of the wall before, the snowfall obliterated any landmarks, and visibility seemed limited to a few hundred feet in front of him.

Did the group leave a trail of breadcrumbs for Gendry to follow? Did he have Google maps to help him?
He has the same magic pixie dust that they sprinkler on Euron's navy, everyone's ravens, the dragons, and all the horses this season. Distances and times no longer matter. Just think happy thoughts.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:35 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times
I entirely agree that the show's switched to a more "action movie" structure. That said, I re-watched the preceding seasons before starting this new season, and I think people are looking back on the earlier seasons (other than Season 1, which was just about perfect) with rose-colored glasses. It was really never all that tightly plotted or subtle, and there are lots of dropped threads and/or plot holes all along.

I don't think it's fair to blame the showrunners for finishing the series in their own metier - GRRM did not meet his deadlines and did not finish the story. I suspect for all that he says he knows how it's supposed to end, he's lost the thread of how to get there from the corners he's written himself into, let alone how to get there entertainingly. The writers and producers on the show now just have to do the best they can with the components they have. It's hard to take over someone else's project - I think they're doing so competently, if not with the same priorities Martin had. It's still a very enjoyable watch and a quality show.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:06 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Also, regardless of the white walker making the dragon his, I'd like to think that somehow, someway, the dragon will not betray his mother. "lol, I know, I know, wishful thinking".
I couldn't even imagine how angry people would be on this thread if the battle was won because of a mother's love for her dragon.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:09 PM

4,583 posts, read 3,410,946 times
What's funny is that I have now seen the synopsis of 3 different scripts for this Sunday and none match. But it does make me want to watch even more.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:10 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,237,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Read the article<snip>
Yada yada yada, we get it. You don't like the show any more, and are being forced to watch it.

Geez, enough with all the complaints. I stayed out of this thread for a week as it turned into a bummer. Nothing changed since then, still all negativity.

No one is expected to like everything, but the constant yammering is really getting tiring. There is a difference between feedback/opinions, and threadcrapping. I'd say many of you have crossed the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
I can't remember, why is Beric on her list? Because he sold Gendry?
Yes.

Quote:
I don't believe Dany can have any more human children. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the witch said that, when she lost her baby?
The witch told her she would have babies when the sun rose in the west, when Drogo came back to life. In other words, never again.

But you know, all this time Dany says she can't have babies, it's because that one witch told her. How do we know the witch didn't lie? Dany brings it up so often, it almost seems like a red herring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Could it be that HBO was faced with the prospect of shortchanging the final two seasons or possibly stopping production altogether like what happened to "The Borgias"? That was an excellent series that just stopped in the middle of the story. We never saw the end of it.

If that is what the choices were, I guess we have to put up with and inferior last couple of seasons for GOT, unfortunately. At least it's not "Lost"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I have no idea why HBO is insisting on cramming the last two seasons into so few episodes. Game of Thrones is incredibly expensive to produce, yes, but it is also HBO's most popular series. Short-changing it seems the height of stupidity to me.
I'll answer both of these together. About three years ago, the two showrunners (David Benioff & DB Weiss) told HBO they were ready to wrap it up. Seven seasons and done. They went round & round with HBO. HBO does own the rights, and could keep it going without them, but realized how important D&D are to the series. So they ended up compromising on eight seasons. So ever since season five, we've known there were only three more coming.

As to why the seasons have fewer episodes, that's on D&D. That's what they felt was needed to tell the story, and that's what we get.

Quote:
I thought HBO announced that this season was the last?
See above. We have one more, six episodes. Supposedly, each episode of the last season will be movie length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
http://www.metro.us/entertainment/tv...ame-of-thrones

George R. R. Martin: “I do not watch Game of Thronesâ€

Translation: "Wow, HBO has screwed this up. But hey, they're still paying me truckloads of money, so I can't really say that out loud, can I?"
Not really. He said in an interview a few years ago that he had stopped watching after either S2 or S3. Whatever season was the last one he wrote an episode for, was the last time he watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Somehow, I don't see them being able to rush this to a conclusion in a couple of weeks. It will likely be very badly done if the manage it.
That's because we have six episodes next season to bring it to a conclusion.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

It looked like they went around a glacier and through a mountain pass, though. Relatively few opportunities to go too far astray if so. If you went the wrong way you'd notice, because you'd start gaining elevation. Plus, the wall is what, 800 feet tall? That's a big landmark.

There's similar terrain near my town. My experience is that it's pretty hard to get lost if you're above the treeline unless there are blizzard conditions. Granted, Gendry is a southerner, but still. Breaking something, falling in a hole, or getting hypothermia/frostbite are more pressing concerns in winter.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I couldn't even imagine how angry people would be on this thread if the battle was won because of a mother's love for her dragon.
It would almost be worth it

Old 08-23-2017, 05:32 PM

581 posts, read 456,755 times
Regarding Dany, a boatsex baby is definitely on the way. The showrunners dropped way too many hints this last episode: Tyrion expressing concerns about succession, Dany reminding us she's barren, Jorah telling Jon to pass Longclaw down to his children. They couldn't make it any more obvious if they tried.

If I'm not mistaken, the witch told Dany that Drogo would return to her after she bore a living child. If Dany can indeed get pregnant, I think it implies she'll die in childbirth since the only way she could be reunited with Drogo is in the afterlife. That could be the "bittersweet" ending the showrunners are referring to.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:54 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Yada yada yada, we get it. You don't like the show any more, and are being forced to watch it.

Geez, enough with all the complaints. I stayed out of this thread for a week as it turned into a bummer. Nothing changed since then, still all negativity.

No one is expected to like everything, but the constant yammering is really getting tiring. There is a difference between feedback/opinions, and threadcrapping. I'd say many of you have crossed the line.
How is complaining about negativity a positive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV