Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2017, 10:12 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,104,387 times

Advertisements

Could it be that HBO was faced with the prospect of shortchanging the final two seasons or possibly stopping production altogether like what happened to "The Borgias"? That was an excellent series that just stopped in the middle of the story. We never saw the end of it.

If that is what the choices were, I guess we have to put up with and inferior last couple of seasons for GOT, unfortunately. At least it's not "Lost"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 10:15 AM

28,976 posts, read 30,358,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
After college, a buddy of mine worked for a non profit organization where they would rescue wolves in Idaho. Apparently a lot of wolves get caught in traps, and they would search known hunting areas and rescue these wolves and nurse them back to health. My buddy kept one of the wolves that he rescued as a pup. I remember him telling me that he had to register it as a German shepherd hybrid because of laws against keeping wolves as pets.

His wolf was really big. Not dire wolf size, of course, but bigger than any German shepherd I have ever seen. Anyway, one day, I was at his house and I made myself a sandwich in the kitchen. I put it down on the counter right next to me while I put the stuff back in the refrigerator. I turned back to the sandwich, but it wasn't there. I thought I was going crazy. Did I put it somewhere else? I had drank a few beers prior, maybe I put it somewhere else? So I made another sandwich, and again, the same exact thing happened. It was gone. I thought my friend was messing with me, until I looked at the doorway, and saw the end of the wolf's snout sticking out. He was in the next room waiting for me to make the next sandwich. It amazed me that this big beast could sneak by me within inches, and silently steal a sandwich off the counter and escape with it without me hearing a thing. I have had a lot of respect for wolves ever since.
I just watched a show last evening, (one that I dvr'd) about a man who was walking to work in the night, somewhere in the wilderness and 3 coyotes attacked him. It was amazing how smart they were, to hunt in a pack collectively. Apparently they had cubes that they needed to feed, but, the way he described the attack, was both absorbing and frightening. So, when I see the wolves in this show, they never cease to amaze me...and yes, they are very large and scary, unless of course, they're on your side.
I wish they showed them more....

Old 08-23-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Read the article
Agree with all of it
Think it just speaks to the point that the HBO writers are not Martin
This season feels so lacking...so weak...
They depended too much on him I guess and got caught short

There are great "scenes" but the characters are almost cartoonish compared to how they behaved in the past

I hate to say it but I think the show by compressing time like it does and ignoring physical restraints of the "real world" Martin was capable of creating and respecting and having his characters acknowledge by THEIR actions has begun jumping the shark...

I didn't read the books but the context/success of any great series (or novel) is how well the creators take the reader/watcher into that world of suspended reality and seduce them into believing it is real...

The writers/producers this season have done things and made the characters behave in ways that break the bonds of reality, force the viewers to suspend their disbelief at things like the speed at which so many characters navigate the physical geography of their world...could Guidry REALLY run that distance fast enough to allow a raven to get back to Dany in time??? No way...
Could Euron really sail directly to his enemy's flagship in the dead of night and capture it w/so little effort??
No way...in a real world...

Two sisters who always resented each other are frozen into their past modes and reveal that their years and experiences have only reinforced their innate flaws and resentments....THAT I can believe
But I find most of the other character reveals...like Tyrion's IQ slump and the 3-eyed Raven's lack of desire to do anything to fight the White Walkers...and everyone ignoring Littlefinger's role in Sansa's inhuman treatment by Ramsey...those are just too convenient...

Again, we are asked to believe those implausible (built on past seasons' behavior/evidence) shifts in characters to allow for specific plot decisions by show runners.

The fact is when PLOT decisions drive scripts instead of CHARACTER decisions, plot and character suffer.

Well written and thought out....however, my heart is so invested in the show, that it literally won't see anything wrong....but your right, I just refuse to allow, specifics to spoil it for me.

But yes, I can see your words rein true. The one that bothers me the most is Littlefingers treatment of Sansa....all sister's fight...and reinforce their misgivings with excuses....
and I agree with the 3-eyed Raven's lack of not only desire, but failure to do anything, and keep thinking they are going to write him into the ending?

Also, regardless of the white walker making the dragon his, I'd like to think that somehow, someway, the dragon will not betray his mother. "lol, I know, I know, wishful thinking".

Old 08-23-2017, 10:25 AM

22,954 posts, read 28,358,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Could it be that HBO was faced with the prospect of shortchanging the final two seasons or possibly stopping production altogether like what happened to "The Borgias"? !
I have no idea why HBO is insisting on cramming the last two seasons into so few episodes. Game of Thrones is incredibly expensive to produce, yes, but it is also HBO's most popular series. Short-changing it seems the height of stupidity to me.

That said, it wouldn't be the first time. AMC has seemed bound and determined to mistreat and anger anyone who has ever worked on The Walking Dead.

Greed can cause people to make very short-sighted decisions.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I have no idea why HBO is insisting on cramming the last two seasons into so few episodes. Game of Thrones is incredibly expensive to produce, yes, but it is also HBO's most popular series. Short-changing it seems the height of stupidity to me.

That said, it wouldn't be the first time. AMC has seemed bound and determined to mistreat and anger anyone who has ever worked on The Walking Dead.

Greed can cause people to make very short-sighted decisions.
I thought HBO announced that this season was the last?

Old 08-23-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
This season feels so lacking...so weak...
They depended too much on him I guess and got caught short

There are great "scenes" but the characters are almost cartoonish compared to how they behaved in the past

I hate to say it but I think the show by compressing time like it does and ignoring physical restraints of the "real world" Martin was capable of creating and respecting and having his characters acknowledge by THEIR actions has begun jumping the shark...

I didn't read the books but the context/success of any great series (or novel) is how well the creators take the reader/watcher into that world of suspended reality and seduce them into believing it is real...

The writers/producers this season have done things and made the characters behave in ways that break the bonds of reality, force the viewers to suspend their disbelief at things like the speed at which so many characters navigate the physical geography of their world...could Guidry REALLY run that distance fast enough to allow a raven to get back to Dany in time??? No way...
Could Euron really sail directly to his enemy's flagship in the dead of night and capture it w/so little effort??
No way...in a real world...

Two sisters who always resented each other are frozen into their past modes and reveal that their years and experiences have only reinforced their innate flaws and resentments....THAT I can believe
But I find most of the other character reveals...like Tyrion's IQ slump and the 3-eyed Raven's lack of desire to do anything to fight the White Walkers...and everyone ignoring Littlefinger's role in Sansa's inhuman treatment by Ramsey...those are just too convenient...

Again, we are asked to believe those implausible (built on past seasons' behavior/evidence) shifts in characters to allow for specific plot decisions by show runners.

The fact is when PLOT decisions drive scripts instead of CHARACTER decisions, plot and character suffer.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I thought HBO announced that this season was the last?
Nope. One more. But with only 6 episodes.

Season 7 has been so bad that I honestly have no enthusiasm at all for any spin-off series. It's become a Michael Bay movie, only with dragons instead of giant robots.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:44 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,334,093 times
in my case, I have not seen the series but read the books that had characters written and themes that do drive the plot from what I can tell from your comments. From them I could follow the plot and I knew the people. So agree with Loves

My beef is with GRRMartin. He led us down a path of 5 huge books that drew us into the story and we invested ourselves in the series, as few books can do. Then he couldn't get the job done. I don't blame HBO show runners for what they are doing. If he had finished what he started then the remaining of the series would be richer than what we have.

So whether he writes more books to finish up the tale, I don't care and won't bother to read them. And when you all say in the end on TV Jon and Dany get married and start a dynasty or Gentry takes over the world, I will say whoopee. Or Jon and Dany go down in Dragon flames or ice flames and hound dies, I will say too bad.

Just disgruntled at Martin

Old 08-23-2017, 11:01 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,201,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
I can't remember, why is Beric on her list? Because he sold Gendry?
Yes. Thoros as well.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Nope. One more. But with only 6 episodes.

Season 7 has been so bad that I honestly have no enthusiasm at all for any spin-off series. It's become a Michael Bay movie, only with dragons instead of giant robots.
well, I'm sorry you feel that way, however, I still love the show....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV