Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 11:30 PM

406 posts, read 501,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Yeah who wants to live near a golf course anyway? I sure don't. A golf course probably does more to lower the value of your home than raises it. That's because most people do not play golf. Relatively very few people play golf...but almost everyone in the world enjoys going to a park. So a well-designed public park does far more to boost surrounding real estate prices than a golf course does. You certainly can't take your family for a picnic or a barbecue on the weekend at a golf course; so they are not family friendly or kid friendly at all. Its really sad how utterly useless and pathetic they are.
Actually what's utterly useless is the content in this post, because it's completely baseless and is evidenced by absolutely nothing. Instead of repeating the same nonsense over and over again because you "hate golf", why you have absolutely no base in what you're saying. Its really almost not even worth me seriously responding, but I think I might be able to speak for a lot of other folks on here when I say that you have no argument. You've yet to make any kind of compelling case that we shouldn't have golf courses, other than your own opinion that you don't like it, don't play it and therefore it's a waste. You say things about a community having control about whether or not golf courses are built/kept...guess what, a LOT of communities willingly keep them because they want them. I know, in your worldview it's hard to believe that...but perhaps you should step away from the constant use of loaded language like "Its really sad how utterly useless and pathetic they are." and continually making broad generalizations and absolutes, not to mention making statements like "A golf course probably does more to lower the value of your home than raises it." and "but almost everyone in the world enjoys going to a park", things that have no actual facts or really anything backing them up.

You really don't have a compelling case at all, and you know what? Golf courses are going to continue to exist whether you like that fact or not. Or maybe one day we'll move on and they won't! I think it's highly unlikely, but who knows? What I do know, thankfully, is that your opinion will not influence that fact whatsoever. But if it truly is such an issue to you, why don't you find a town or city where the majority of the residents absolutley hate golf as much as you, and help pass laws banning them (and why not parking lots, malls, highways and single family homes too while you're at it, since you hate those too )....or better yet, start your own new town called AntiGolfVille and keep all those dang Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson wannabes out! Yeah that'll teach em! Honestly good luck with either endeavor, the rest of the world will just continue to go on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Just in regards to two things cisco brought up that actually are relevant:

1) Water. In general, recreation has been ignored as a concern in managing water supply. That's only recently begun to change. Typically the legitimate economic uses were industry, farming, household consumption, power generation, and flood control. The fishes (environment) are still largely dismissed although since the '80s have played an increasingly important role. Now we're at the point where recreation is being considered. Do golf courses use a lot of water? Yup. So what? So does growing alfalfa for cows. Which is a more productive use of the water? The problem with market-based approaches is that water isn't really market-based. It's a command economy full of special interests. Water districts are often senior rights holders and they set vastly divergent prices for different uses (farming, industry, ag) based on political whim.

2) Pesticide/fertilizer. Farming is also really toxic. We should stop growing food. It uses lots of water and chemicals. I'm entirely positive that agriculture is responsible for way more water qualities where I live and not golf courses.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/us...anted=all&_r=0

Generally, people rightly dismiss the loons that will only drink bottled water, but if you look at most of the small towns in the Central Valley... entirely different story. These are places the rely on ground water, and each year well after well becomes unsafe. You're talking about extremely poor communities who don't have access to safe water. If we're just going to go around eliminating things because they pollute, farms are way above golf courses. That sort of draconian punitive measurement isn't particular helpful. We should definitely look into regulating how much and how golf courses are fertilizing just as we do with agriculture, but the solution isn't to just get rid of anything and everything that pollutes.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:18 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Yeah who wants to live near a golf course anyway? I sure don't. A golf course probably does more to lower the value of your home than raises it. That's because most people do not play golf. Relatively very few people play golf...but almost everyone in the world enjoys going to a park. So a well-designed public park does far more to boost surrounding real estate prices than a golf course does. You certainly can't take your family for a picnic or a barbecue on the weekend at a golf course; so they are not family friendly or kid friendly at all. Its really sad how utterly useless and pathetic they are.
Actually, a golf course increases the value of your home. Golf courses attract people that matter. People with money and wealth. It might not attract the masses, but those with money are the ones who are important when selling your home. Anything that attracts wealth will sell well.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:28 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Actually, a golf course increases the value of your home. Golf courses attract people that matter. People with money and wealth. It might not attract the masses, but those with money are the ones who are important when selling your home. Anything that attracts wealth will sell well.
As far as selling prices go, that actually depends. The problem with houses adjacent to golf courses is the very real hazard of balls flying through the yard, which can badly hurt somebody and/or damage your house. Insurance rates are higher as a result.

Houses near (but not quite on) golf courses, on the other hand, do often come with a cost premium.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:43 PM

Any idea how much more?

Damage to the house is negligible. What's it going to do, break a window? Nobody goes to their homeowners insurance for a broken window unless it's some crazy big picture window or something. The deductible would be as much if not more than replacing the pane. As far as injury, yeah, I suppose. It seems extremely unlikely to me. Just a quick Google search seems to confirm that insurance companies don't actually bother to charge more. Ideally, you'd want a house that wasn't in the slice zone or right next to a hole where people are going to be yammering away while they putt.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:02 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,283 times
Quote:
Do you live in Beverly Hills or Malibu? If not then your statement is pretty ridiculous.
Most of us aren't going to be selling our homes to the rich and famous. But I doubt even in wealthy places a golf course does much if anything to raise the value of nearby homes. Most people who golf don't want to live across the street from a golf course. They would rather drive a few miles to play golf but they don't want to live right next to a golf course.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:12 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Do you live in Beverly Hills or Malibu? If not then your statement is pretty ridiculous.
Most of us aren't going to be selling our homes to the rich and famous. But I doubt even in wealthy places a golf course does much if anything to raise the value of nearby homes. Most people who golf don't want to live across the street from a golf course. They would rather drive a few miles to play golf but they don't want to live right next to a golf course.
Living across the street is fine as long as you're not in the line of fire. That's the only issue, really.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:17 PM

Most of the people buying golf course houses are the middle-class, not the rich and famous.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
No, I don't live on the West coast. What makes the statement ridiculous?

Having a country club within a couple miles attracts folks with money. It will raise the value of your home.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:25 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,283 times
Quote:
No, I don't live on the West coast. What makes the statement ridiculous?

Having a country club within a couple miles attracts folks with money. It will raise the value of your home.
What the hell are you talking about country clubs lol. So now all the cities are clamoring to attract country clubs? That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. Country clubs are in very exclusive private communities located far away from the general population where the members do their business. They do nothing to affect real estate value or have anything to do with boosting local economies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning