Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 05:55 AM

702 posts, read 1,984,232 times

Advertisements

silly laws are an understatement...ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...I would say it all depends on the area u live in..South Jordan is very LDS influenced and I do face some of the things...I was asked what ward I was in and I said "um im not" and they haven't spoken to me since.....i have 7 months before I'm out of here...WOOHOO PARTY TIME..and ive only been here a short time and I dont like it...to me it won't get better and I'm sure the winter is going to make me even more crazy...I am shocked I have to pay $150 bucks a year for car tags...MD charges that for 2 years and yes this is stupid but the tags here are flimsy and aren't worth what they are charging...I have run into ALOT of non LDS people that are stuck until their spouses and so forth move again for their jobs and they are counting down on their watch..see im not the only one that feels this way even though this board may feel its all me

Old 10-01-2008, 07:29 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,231,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
silly laws are an understatement...ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...I would say it all depends on the area u live in..South Jordan is very LDS influenced and I do face some of the things...I was asked what ward I was in and I said "um im not" and they haven't spoken to me since.....i have 7 months before I'm out of here...WOOHOO PARTY TIME..and ive only been here a short time and I dont like it...to me it won't get better and I'm sure the winter is going to make me even more crazy...I am shocked I have to pay $150 bucks a year for car tags...MD charges that for 2 years and yes this is stupid but the tags here are flimsy and aren't worth what they are charging...I have run into ALOT of non LDS people that are stuck until their spouses and so forth move again for their jobs and they are counting down on their watch..see im not the only one that feels this way even though this board may feel its all me
No, I don't think it's all you. I understand everything you are saying. Like I said before, you remind me so much of me when I first got here. Only, I haven't got 7 mos until I get out....I've got 38! (3 yrs +).

The cost of things is all relevant to each state. Coming from SoCal, everything is cheaper...including car tags, but we did have one vehicle where we payed 29.00 for 4 years!!!! (That change was hard to take)

Still, I have to try to adapt and make the best of it for 3 more years. It is all just so frustrating.

Last edited by VC dreamer; 10-01-2008 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: it's too early in the morning.......

Old 10-01-2008, 07:46 AM

401 posts, read 855,526 times
I hope it all gets better for newtoutah and vc dreamer.
I guess you have to look at things a different way when in UT. Not sure how, though....

Old 10-01-2008, 03:01 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,485,323 times
Quote:
Technically you are in a "ward area" even though you are not LDS. I know this is hard for you to believe but it actually is a good thing in time of disaster (without power, earthquake(hope not), food shortage, ...etc etc)
If there were a disaster the bishop of your ward area and other emergency people assigned would help all the people in their area. It doesn't matter if you are LDS or not. For instance right now if your husband lost his job, or you had no food etc, all you would have to do is find out what ward you were in, which is easy (online) call that bishop and he would help your family. He would not try to convert you or expect money etc. Alot of people don't realize that the LDS church is there to help people not try to convert everyone and make them attend church and they also don't realize that people that serve others in the church, bishops, stake presidents etc do not get paid. A little different than other churches that have paid clergy. I know this is a topic for the religious forum so I will stop here. Just want you to realize not all the people in Utah (namely LDS) are bad, rude and barbie/ken. I dont' think I am but who knows lol

Old 10-01-2008, 07:05 PM

193 posts, read 842,957 times
I am not LDS and lived in Utah for a few years. I loved it!! The people were nice. I never felt outcasted. Religon was never even an issue or brought up. There are just as many Lds as not LDS in Salt lake area. 50% are lds if my mem. serves me. So I think you make of what you are given. the mountains were awesome, tons of stuff to do outdoors. Never bored. Lots of young active fit people which is a plus...atleast i thought it was. Honestly I cannot think of one bad thing, except that roadrage seems to be bad there, from my experience. But some people are just bound to miserable all there life regardless of where they live.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:26 AM

401 posts, read 855,526 times
Anyone know of any good companies looking for a Computer/Junior Network Technician?
If so, please let me know!! I am dying to live near the mountains...

Old 10-04-2008, 12:08 PM

702 posts, read 1,984,232 times
But there are mountains everywhere..Maryland has mountains..these are just bigger

Old 10-04-2008, 03:38 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
But there are mountains everywhere..Maryland has mountains..these are just bigger
Yeah, those are hills, lol (I've seen them).

Old 10-04-2008, 04:49 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,231,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFrench View Post
Anyone know of any good companies looking for a Computer/Junior Network Technician?
If so, please let me know!! I am dying to live near the mountains...
I live on the west side of Utah lake. The entire back of the house overlooks the lake with mt. tippanogas (sp) looming in the background.....is that close enough for you? I'll sell you my house......lol

Old 10-04-2008, 11:12 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,485,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VC dreamer View Post
I live on the west side of Utah lake. The entire back of the house overlooks the lake with mt. tippanogas (sp) looming in the background.....is that close enough for you? I'll sell you my house......lol
pretty area....I am jealous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah