Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 04:35 PM

104 posts, read 310,771 times

Advertisements

Hi LAFrench,
We live in Sandy in a neighborhood called Pepperwood. You can actually see Pepperwood real estate at Pepperwood Real Estate - Utah Real Estate, Utah Homes for Sale. We liked this community because it offers so much for the kids. We were used to having our own pool in our backyard so a neighborhood pool was pretty important to us. The recreation center has a pool, tennis, basketball and volleyball courts as well as a small playground and some open grass for soccer. It has a gazebo that can be rented as well. It's a nice facility for the kids. Also, all of the cul-de-sacs in the neighborhood are connected by bike paths which makes it easy for the kids to ride safely. We chose this neighobrhood because it reminded us most of the East coast. It has lots of trees (unusual for Utah neighborhoods) which led to more privacy than other neighborhoods. Also, the lots were a decent size with some non-sloped lots, another hard thing to find out here if you want to live near the mountains. We are on what is called the East bench near the Wasatch mountains. If you are looking at a map our back entrance of the neighborhood is off of Wasatch Blvd and the front entrance is near 10600 South.
The Catholic School which is Juan Diego (high school) and St. John's elementary/middle is 10 minutes from our house. A very easy commute. There are a few families in this neighborhood that attend this school. Other Catholic schools are Blessed Sacrament and St. Andrews. All very good schools but Juan Diego is an entire Catholic campus that houses the preschool, elementary, middle and high school together with all of the athletic fields. There is a waiting list to get in so if you are thinking of it, you would want to put your name on the list 1 year in advance. The school is located in Draper, which is also a nice area. We liked Draper but we liked the Pepperwood neighborhood the best so we ended up in Sandy. There are a lot of great little neighborhoods off of Wasatch Blvd if you like to be near the mountains. Of course they all have great views!
I hope this helps.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Jen

Old 03-03-2009, 04:39 PM

Oh! St. John's tuition is $5,200 approx. I think the other Catholic schools are about the same. There is a Catholic discount if you join the church and "give" generously your time or $. I think it's $1,000 off.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:10 PM

401 posts, read 855,464 times
I have heard of that neighborhood before. Just was not sure where it is located. It sounds like a nice neighborhood to raise children.
I was also wondering how long of a commute it would be from SLC business district (downtown, I guess)? I work in the IT field as a Technical Consultant (Network/Computer Tech). Are the IT jobs plentiful in SLC?

Thank you for you your response. I really appreciate it.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen38 View Post
Hi LAFrench,
We live in Sandy in a neighborhood called Pepperwood. You can actually see Pepperwood real estate at Pepperwood Real Estate - Utah Real Estate, Utah Homes for Sale. We liked this community because it offers so much for the kids. We were used to having our own pool in our backyard so a neighborhood pool was pretty important to us. The recreation center has a pool, tennis, basketball and volleyball courts as well as a small playground and some open grass for soccer. It has a gazebo that can be rented as well. It's a nice facility for the kids. Also, all of the cul-de-sacs in the neighborhood are connected by bike paths which makes it easy for the kids to ride safely. We chose this neighobrhood because it reminded us most of the East coast. It has lots of trees (unusual for Utah neighborhoods) which led to more privacy than other neighborhoods. Also, the lots were a decent size with some non-sloped lots, another hard thing to find out here if you want to live near the mountains. We are on what is called the East bench near the Wasatch mountains. If you are looking at a map our back entrance of the neighborhood is off of Wasatch Blvd and the front entrance is near 10600 South.
The Catholic School which is Juan Diego (high school) and St. John's elementary/middle is 10 minutes from our house. A very easy commute. There are a few families in this neighborhood that attend this school. Other Catholic schools are Blessed Sacrament and St. Andrews. All very good schools but Juan Diego is an entire Catholic campus that houses the preschool, elementary, middle and high school together with all of the athletic fields. There is a waiting list to get in so if you are thinking of it, you would want to put your name on the list 1 year in advance. The school is located in Draper, which is also a nice area. We liked Draper but we liked the Pepperwood neighborhood the best so we ended up in Sandy. There are a lot of great little neighborhoods off of Wasatch Blvd if you like to be near the mountains. Of course they all have great views!
I hope this helps.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Jen

Old 03-18-2009, 03:52 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times
but the close you live to the mountains.... dun dun dun your CLOSE TO THE FAULT LINE!!!! haha just kidding (well not really but I dont think 2 miles will make a difference haha). just make the move. I promis you and your wife will like it. If not I will help you pack up to move back

Old 03-18-2009, 06:56 PM

Hi Ron,
I'm not sure if there are a lot of IT jobs here - but not sure there a lot of ANY jobs right now? We are not in that industry so I can't comment however...yes Pepperwood is close to downtown. My husband used to commute to SLC when we first moved here but then his offices moved to Sandy. It was about a 30 minute commute in rush hour. I go downtown for lunch occasionally and to get my hair done - I can make it in 20 minutes. Of course if you can carpool, the HOV lane flies. It's not stopped traffic out here compared to the East coast. My husband has always had between a 30-60 minute commute and he felt it was a nice doable commute to SLC.
Pepperwood is a fantastic neighborhood for raising kids. Besides being gated (which I don't really care about but it's a nice extra) the recreation center is awesome for the kids. It's beautiful out here right now, about 60-65 degrees and this weekend there must have been 30 kids playing basketball, tennis, soccer and baseball at the rec center. I was down there for 3 hours with my younger son and he had a blast. Kids are very nice out here and treat other kids with respect. I was amazed that the older kids let my 6 year old join their game of basketball. That just didn't happen where we came from on the East coast. Even his brother would tell him to go away!
I looked at the site I sent you and there are a lot of higher priced homes on there. We have a lot of the $1 million and up for sale due to the economy but you can find homes in the $6-$800 range as well. If you don't mind doing some work there are even some $5's in here. Some of the lower priced homes are for sale by owner so they wouldn't come up on that site.
I was coming back from dropping my kids off at school this morning and I would say I passed 15 people running or walking in the neighborhood. It's a very active lifestyle out here. As a matter of fact I just got home from skiing. No jacket needed today! It was sunny and beautiful - although a little slushy. I go to Park City every Wednesday with some friends so even PC is close! I love the convenience of Sandy, UT. I feel like it doesn't take very long to get anywhere.
In May would be a great time to take the family for a vacation to Utah! It's beautiful here with the trees and flowers and there are a lot of hikes, horseback riding, etc. to do at that time.
Good luck!
Jen

Old 03-25-2009, 02:11 PM

Thank you for all of the positive feedback. I am still wishing, hoping, and praying to be able to move out there as soon as the housing gets better. We cannot afford to take a loss on the house we are in now.
Just say some prayers for me that something will come up and allow me and my family to move out west (sooner the better).
Feel free to send me tidbits of information whenever, as I do appreciate it. Or PM me.

Take care and thank you,

Ron
Quote:
Hi Ron,
I'm not sure if there are a lot of IT jobs here - but not sure there a lot of ANY jobs right now? We are not in that industry so I can't comment however...yes Pepperwood is close to downtown. My husband used to commute to SLC when we first moved here but then his offices moved to Sandy. It was about a 30 minute commute in rush hour. I go downtown for lunch occasionally and to get my hair done - I can make it in 20 minutes. Of course if you can carpool, the HOV lane flies. It's not stopped traffic out here compared to the East coast. My husband has always had between a 30-60 minute commute and he felt it was a nice doable commute to SLC.
Pepperwood is a fantastic neighborhood for raising kids. Besides being gated (which I don't really care about but it's a nice extra) the recreation center is awesome for the kids. It's beautiful out here right now, about 60-65 degrees and this weekend there must have been 30 kids playing basketball, tennis, soccer and baseball at the rec center. I was down there for 3 hours with my younger son and he had a blast. Kids are very nice out here and treat other kids with respect. I was amazed that the older kids let my 6 year old join their game of basketball. That just didn't happen where we came from on the East coast. Even his brother would tell him to go away!
I looked at the site I sent you and there are a lot of higher priced homes on there. We have a lot of the $1 million and up for sale due to the economy but you can find homes in the $6-$800 range as well. If you don't mind doing some work there are even some $5's in here. Some of the lower priced homes are for sale by owner so they wouldn't come up on that site.
I was coming back from dropping my kids off at school this morning and I would say I passed 15 people running or walking in the neighborhood. It's a very active lifestyle out here. As a matter of fact I just got home from skiing. No jacket needed today! It was sunny and beautiful - although a little slushy. I go to Park City every Wednesday with some friends so even PC is close! I love the convenience of Sandy, UT. I feel like it doesn't take very long to get anywhere.
In May would be a great time to take the family for a vacation to Utah! It's beautiful here with the trees and flowers and there are a lot of hikes, horseback riding, etc. to do at that time.
Good luck!
Jen

Old 03-27-2009, 02:22 PM

How is the weather been lately?
I would guess that some are ready for spring to arrive.

Hope all is well!!

Old 03-27-2009, 03:42 PM

We've received a lot of snow in the last couple of days. Last Saturday it was about 70 degrees - gorgeous sunny say wearing shorts and sandals...it snowed on Sunday and kept snowing on and off this past week. Yes, most are ready for spring but I'm excited to get a little more skiing in. The ski season seemed to start later and I felt I wasn't ready for it to end yet. I think I'll be ready in a couple of weeks. Still even with the snow it's pretty sunny. Today it's about 40 but it's been in the low 30"s high 20's the rest of the week. Roads and everything are clear so it really doesn't hinder your lifestyle. As long as it's sunny and I can see the top of the mountains, I'm happy. I used to hate the snow in PA, it's just different out here. The scenery alone is stunning.
Of course if you're planning a family trip to woo them to Utah I think I'd wait until the snow melted. Moving from FL to a place that still has snow in April is probably not the best sales pitch! We came out in May last year and it was beautiful. We were also out in April and I cried as I told my husband I wasn't moving out here! It was brown, cold and rainy. PA at the time was green and blooming. Wait til May.
Hope all is well!

Old 03-31-2009, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the updates.
By chance, do ya'll have children? If so, how have they adjusted to moving there? Is the LDS vs. non-LDS an issue with the children?
That would probably be my biggest concern, as well as my wife's.
We are Catholic and she is worried that she would not like it there with all of the LDS influence. I, on the other hand, would think that the LDS have good morals and views that I would want my boys to be around. I just would not like for my boys to be excluded unless we convert, because that will never happen.

Thank you,

Ron

Quote:
We've received a lot of snow in the last couple of days. Last Saturday it was about 70 degrees - gorgeous sunny say wearing shorts and sandals...it snowed on Sunday and kept snowing on and off this past week. Yes, most are ready for spring but I'm excited to get a little more skiing in. The ski season seemed to start later and I felt I wasn't ready for it to end yet. I think I'll be ready in a couple of weeks. Still even with the snow it's pretty sunny. Today it's about 40 but it's been in the low 30"s high 20's the rest of the week. Roads and everything are clear so it really doesn't hinder your lifestyle. As long as it's sunny and I can see the top of the mountains, I'm happy. I used to hate the snow in PA, it's just different out here. The scenery alone is stunning.
Of course if you're planning a family trip to woo them to Utah I think I'd wait until the snow melted. Moving from FL to a place that still has snow in April is probably not the best sales pitch! We came out in May last year and it was beautiful. We were also out in April and I cried as I told my husband I wasn't moving out here! It was brown, cold and rainy. PA at the time was green and blooming. Wait til May.
Hope all is well!

Old 03-31-2009, 04:31 PM

550 posts, read 2,169,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFrench View Post
Thanks for the updates.
By chance, do ya'll have children? If so, how have they adjusted to moving there? Is the LDS vs. non-LDS an issue with the children?
That would probably be my biggest concern, as well as my wife's.
We are Catholic and she is worried that she would not like it there with all of the LDS influence. I, on the other hand, would think that the LDS have good morals and views that I would want my boys to be around. I just would not like for my boys to be excluded unless we convert, because that will never happen.

Thank you,

Ron
Well, I hadn't had any problems growing up as non-LDS; although everyone seemed to know whether you were LDS or not (based on if you take seminary or not), but that didn't amount to differential treatment at all.

Then again, you probably want feedback from someone who just barely moved here. But I opined anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah