Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:32 AM

29 posts, read 171,244 times

Advertisements

Ok.. I have only driven through Utah so I dont know.. I was thinking of moving to Utah from Oreogn. I LOVE snow boarding! My Dad went to school in Utah and lived with my Mother there when they were newly married. My mother is Hispanic. My father is norweign... Anyways My mom always has told me that people are racist if you are not white or not Mormon? I was talking to my friend last night about how great Salt lake sounded ( I was thinking of taking trip to check it out) but I remeber what mom had said. THis was 30 years ago... are things different now? Any non whites out there with any experince?? ( I am not very dark myself and carry my fathers Norweign surname) Salt lake sounds like paradise but I dont think I will like it if it is Racist or against nonmormons... IMPUT PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Old 02-28-2007, 09:53 AM

184 posts, read 902,146 times
No, Utah isn't racist... infact, I lived all over the world and so far I found Salt Lake City has quite a tolerant vibe (towards gays, races and creeds). It was never an issue for me personally, I don't give crap what religion or race someone is, but I have a problem with "pretentous multiculturalism" typical in Washington D.C. and London, UK being forcefed to people... Here, people just get on with life as it is and I yet to meet anyone who has been disadvantaged or offended because of their race.

Saying that, I'm sure if you look hard you'll find biggoted rednecks here as well... many other parts of the U.S. are far far worse in that respect.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:15 AM

16 posts, read 110,355 times
My wifes parents are from Costa Rica and she loves Utah. She doesnt make it an issue and neither does anyone in Utah. We feel much more thertened when we are at our California home. The Mexican American men generally do not like to see a Hispanic women with a "white boy" or "gringo". This is one of the reasons that we love Utah. We feel much more secure when we are in Utah.

There are racist everywhere in every culture in every state. Look at the hate between the Hispanics and the Blacks in LA. I think there must be a race riot between the two groups in the Highschools every couple of months. We just had one about two weeks ago close to where I live and I am about sixty miles outside of LA. The school riot was between the Mexicans and the Blacks. The Mexicans usually dominate simply because there are so many of them.

What you should really do is take another trip to Utah and go with your gut. You may discover that your better off in CO. Utah may not be for you.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:33 AM

36 posts, read 131,329 times
Default Go to SLC

Salt Lake City itself is pretty tolerant, I would recommend living around the University of Utah, it's a blast. I live in Orem, which is a nice city 35 miles south of SLC, except that it's BYU country, so unless you sport Abercrombie & Fitch or Hollister and have the mentality of a shallow fake moron like on those new MTV reality shows, I don't recommend Utah Valley, it's very very trendy, I'm moving to Mesa, can't wait.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:46 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
Hi heidinbend! I had a Japanese American friend tell me that after WWII when Americans of Japanese descent were released from the internment camps, many who were interned in Utah settled in the Salt Lake area. Why? Because the Mormons were so understanding, welcoming, and warm toward them that many decided to stay in the SLC area. Even today, the SLC area boasts a relatively large Asian population.

I realize that this is counter to what the original LDS tenants pronounced. That being that the darker the skin, the less worthy the person. That is no longer valid in mainstream Mormon thought. I hear that even intermarriage is not looked upon with such disdain by the Church as it once was.

Anyway, my point is, is that I don't think you should worry at all relocating the Salt Lake area.

--'rocco

Old 02-28-2007, 11:57 AM

29 posts, read 171,244 times
What you should really do is take another trip to Utah and go with your gut. You may discover that your better off in CO. Utah may not be for you.[/quote]

That is true.. there are plently of racist people every where.. (especially Oregon redneck towns) I guess when My parents 1st moved to Oregon from Califonia my dad had rocks thrown at his car simply beacsue of the Lincense plates!! I know things have changed in 30 years in Oregon..lol. I know what your saying aobut the racial tension in LA. I lived in San diego for a year and it made me sick... It is sad that my mom had such a poor more experince but I think I should check it out myself and get a feel. .. My neighbors were from LDS growing up and always were nicest people to my family.

HMmm already lived in breckenridge Colorado.. It was great..but Salt lake sounds really cool...

Old 02-28-2007, 01:19 PM

7 posts, read 71,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidinbend View Post
Ok.. I have only driven through Utah so I dont know.. I was thinking of moving to Utah from Oreogn. I LOVE snow boarding! My Dad went to school in Utah and lived with my Mother there when they were newly married. My mother is Hispanic. My father is norweign... Anyways My mom always has told me that people are racist if you are not white or not Mormon? I was talking to my friend last night about how great Salt lake sounded ( I was thinking of taking trip to check it out) but I remeber what mom had said. THis was 30 years ago... are things different now? Any non whites out there with any experince?? ( I am not very dark myself and carry my fathers Norweign surname) Salt lake sounds like paradise but I dont think I will like it if it is Racist or against nonmormons... IMPUT PLEASE!!!!!!!!
Things ARE different now. 30, or even 50 years ago (when my inter-racially mixed parents first moved to Utah) things were very different. Our house was vandalized multiple times, my sisters were routinely beat-up, after an accident involving my skull being cracked open when I was 4, our neighbors refused to help get me to a hospital. It was pretty damned bad, all because my mother was white & my dad wasn't and we were non-mormons to boot.

Of course, that was then & this is now. My memories & perhaps your mothers are of a very different place than you'll find now. While not too many African Americans live in Utah, the number of other minorities is increasing every day. Most people, based on the way things are now, will almost think my prejudice story was made-up because of how easy-going Utah now seems (it is all true though). My father used to say Utah was the furthest West of any of the Southern States--but like the South it's turned largely tolerant.

It is a snow-boarder, skier, kayaker, white-water rafter, biker, hiker, camper, rock-climber, beer maker's wet dream. Not to mention how culturated Salt Lake City is. Utahns rarely realize what treasures they have in the Opera, Ballet, Symphony, Capitol Theatre, Ririe Woodbury Modern Dance, Salt Lake Acting Co., and all of the various cultural events and activities and theatres that are very affordable there.

I was shocked to discover that after seeing THE Bolshoi in Moscow, I honestly preferred Utah's own Ballet West!! And the only place I've ever been able to see Mikhail Barishnakov perform was in SLC.

It's even starting to develop its own night life scene with the clubs in SLC and especially in Park City. Not to mention those at the ski resorts too. There's lots to do and tons of cool people to do it with.

So please, think it over. There are tons of incredible things about Utah and it really is a "Pretty Great Place." Keep in mind though that the Salt Lake Valley is the most racially mixed/integrated and non-mormon part of Utah (as someone pointed out, particularly near the U of U campus) and so you might start there...

Best of luck to you!

Old 02-28-2007, 02:47 PM

378 posts, read 1,906,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimc53ssz28 View Post
Salt Lake City itself is pretty tolerant, I would recommend living around the University of Utah, it's a blast. I live in Orem, which is a nice city 35 miles south of SLC, except that it's BYU country, so unless you sport Abercrombie & Fitch or Hollister and have the mentality of a shallow fake moron like on those new MTV reality shows, I don't recommend Utah Valley, it's very very trendy, I'm moving to Mesa, can't wait.
Haha that is too funny...and too true!

I'm half and half racially and have never had a problem...unless you consider everyone in Elem School thinking I was good at math and knew karate.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:51 PM

421 posts, read 1,741,610 times
Oh no! Are they gonna boot me out of Utah County? I've never even shopped at Abercrombie & Fitch. And I've been known to be both deep and real on occasion. Now I'm worried.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:26 PM

378 posts, read 1,906,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazcrew View Post
Oh no! Are they gonna boot me out of Utah County? I've never even shopped at Abercrombie & Fitch. And I've been known to be both deep and real on occasion. Now I'm worried.
What kind of Scandinavian are you anyway lol?

Last edited by Elder_Shawn; 02-28-2007 at 04:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah