Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 12:34 PM

444 posts, read 788,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
I enjoyed all the beers I had at Bobcat Cafe (which is pretty much all 10 they had on tap when I was there). I also enjoy Harpoon (especially the Leviathan and 100 Bbl series beers) and Long Trail (especially the Brewmaster's Series). Rock Arts standard beers aren't anything to write home about, but their bigger beers (the ones in the bombers) are all pretty good, some better than others. I've never been a huge Otter Creek fan (and if you didn't know, Wolaver's is Otter Creek, just their organic lineup... and technically Otter Creek is now Long Trail as they were bought out not all that long ago, but I think they run themselves independently).

So... if none of the "standard" beers are good enough for you, you will have to go with Heady Topper, Hill Farmstead, and Lawson's. Luckily, you aren't too far from Warren being in Middlebury. Hill Farmstead will be more difficult to get though. I also have enjoyed every Switchback beer I've had (which I think is 3 of them).

The only other brewery I've had was Trapp, and I really enjoyed all the beers I've had from them (which I think is only 2, I need to get my butt up to the brewery at some point).

The brewpubs in Burlington are also great... check out Vermont Pub and Brewery and Zero Gravity at American Flatbread.
Thanks for the tips. I bought Heady Topper at the local American Flatbread, so I'm not sure what the normal retail price is. I'd soon become a drunk with that - 8% alcohol content I think. I'll try Switchback, and Hill Farmstead and Lawson's if I can find them locally. I hardly ever go to Burlington, so I may never get around to checking out their brewpubs. Right now my staple is Leffe Blonde and I'm getting a little tired of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 12:30 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Would the resident VT beer afficionados help me out, please? The local inn has Brewery Toureys and they consist of 1, 2, or 3 day visits. I was hoping to get off cheap ($80) and do a 1 day.

The options are:

Quote:
Thursday We leave Chester at Noon to visit Northshire Brewery in Bennington Vermont and then to Madisons Brewing in Bennington, VT. Madison’s is a pub and lunch will be available there. Then we travel to McNeill’s Brewery in Brattleboro, VT. From there we ride up 91 to Harpoon Brewery in Windsor, VT. We then return to Fullerton Inn around 8 pm that evening for dinner.

Friday We depart Chester at 9:45am and travel to Morrisville, VT to visit Rock Art brewery. From there we head back to Stowe, VT to the Trapp Family Lodge to visit their brewing facility and have lunch. Next we head to the Alchemist Pub and Brewery in Waterbury, VT. Then we head back to the Fullerton in Chester around 7pm for dinner.

Saturday We leave Chester at 9:15 am and travel to Otter Creek Brewery in Middlebury, VT. From there we travel to Burlington, VT to visit Magic Hat Brewery and Switchback Brewery. Then we visit the famous Church Street station are of Burlington where you may visit either (or both) the Vermont Pub and Brewery or American Flatbread and have lunch. After lunch we visit the Bobcat Cafe & Pub in Bristol, VT and then return to the Fullerton Inn around 7 pm for dinner.
I was thinking about the Saturday tour. Personal opinions as to what day would be the 'best' tour are most welcome

Old 06-05-2012, 03:10 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Would the resident VT beer afficionados help me out, please? The local inn has Brewery Toureys and they consist of 1, 2, or 3 day visits. I was hoping to get off cheap ($80) and do a 1 day.

The options are:

I was thinking about the Saturday tour. Personal opinions as to what day would be the 'best' tour are most welcome
A hard choice, I would go with Friday or Saturday.

It's a shame the Saturday tour doesn't include a stop at Hill Farmstead.
I'm guessing it would be a 45 minute drive past Morrisville.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:51 AM

986 posts, read 2,334,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
A hard choice, I would go with Friday or Saturday.

It's a shame the Saturday tour doesn't include a stop at Hill Farmstead.
I'm guessing it would be a 45 minute drive past Morrisville.
I agree. Go with Friday or Saturday. Hill Farmstead is about an hour from Morrisville. It's probably too far out of the way. Also, I have to wonder if the itinerary for this was made a while back. It still mentions the Alchemist Pub, which no longer exists. I would think they could add in Hill Farmstead since a stop at the cannery would be pretty quick due to them only having the 1 beer to try. It's a shame the Saturday one doesn't stay at Bobcat for dinner. Their food is fantastic.

The only thing about the Thursday tour is that it may take you places you've never been and wouldn't normally consider going to.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:56 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
I guess I would do Friday.

Otter Creek and Magic hat might be more interesting tours since they are much bigger operations size but the beer is not as good.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:51 AM

986 posts, read 2,334,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I guess I would do Friday.

Otter Creek and Magic hat might be more interesting tours since they are much bigger operations size but the beer is not as good.
Otter Creek doesn't do tours (unless they do something special for the group thing). I was quite disappointed to find out. You just look into the brewery from the visitor center through the windows. They do have tastings though.

I have yet to go on Magic Hat's tour (been to the brewery a couple times, just never made a tour). I've heard it's quite fun. They also tend to have some good brewery-only beers available on tap, which tend to be better than the stuff they release to the distributors. You can get growler fills of anything they have on tap there.

That said... one of the best brewery tours I've been on was Rock Art. But that was before they moved (heck, it was before they finished the nice tasting room in the old location). The thing about small operations is you can often get a more personal tour that isn't scripted, often by someone who actually does something related to brewing rather than just a person hired to do tours.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:56 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Thanks! I waver between Friday and Saturday. You've given me more to think about

Old 06-06-2012, 04:55 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,768 times
If you have plans of eventually visiting them all. (It happens), get the Vt. passport and have it stamped as you visit. Visit them all and get some free gifts. Something to aspire too!

Not a Vt. brewery, but for those who enjoy tasting, try the Olde Saratoga Brewery in Saratoga NY. Their tasting room is free, run by a guy named Dan, who is very entertaining and full of beer knowledge and a really fun time. It's like a day at cheers. We intended to spend a 1/2 hour there to taste and wandered out into the sunshine 2 1/2 hours later. Great time and good beer!

Old 06-27-2012, 11:04 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
have you guys had Sixpoint ? Not really vermont related, except that I got it at the coop in montpelier which has a pretty good selection of beer!!! I picked up some Bengali Tiger, and a 75 minute IPA from dogfish head.

The Bengali reminds me a bit of Heady topper. It doesn't seem as heavy (although "only" 6.4%) and not quite as rounded I think, but i think its a decent IPA and 9$/4pack instead of $13.50.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:58 AM

819 posts, read 1,495,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
have you guys had Sixpoint ? Not really vermont related, except that I got it at the coop in montpelier which has a pretty good selection of beer!!! I picked up some Bengali Tiger, and a 75 minute IPA from dogfish head.

The Bengali reminds me a bit of Heady topper. It doesn't seem as heavy (although "only" 6.4%) and not quite as rounded I think, but i think its a decent IPA and 9$/4pack instead of $13.50.
Yes, often. Their Resin is very similar to Heady. People who swear by Heady may have to open their minds a little to the possibility that another DIPA in a can may be very similar :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont