Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:43 AM

350 posts, read 1,646,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Its not obsurd,other counties have been doing this for yrs including DC. Remember when Dc was majority poor,where are the poors now? Montgomery is well known for moving poors out and increasing the county with more Affulent families. So Pg county is not the first to do something like this. NOVA is also known for doing this as well. Its called increasing property tax,bringing in higher commercial development. The county is not moving taking the lower income familes out of their house. The county is not requesting them to move. The county is just increasing its standard. The county is getting rid of the criminals and the crimes out of the county. Its about time PG County government clean up the crimes and shipping the crimes out of the county.

People are confused because I see plenty of post where people have problems with the crimes in Pg county but when the county is doing their best fixing the issues. People post No the county should leave the crimes in Pg county an dnot do anything but yet those same people are the ones complaining about the crimes in Pg county. Well I say get rid of all the criminals and crimes out of Pg county. The ones who have issues with Pg county getting rid of the crimes and criminals out of the county are the ones who do not live in the county and do not want the crimes or criminals in their community.
Being poor does not neccessarily make you a criminal. It would be wonderful if PG took a progressive approach to solving their crime issues, but kicking the poor out of the county won't do it. A lot of the crime is spillover from DC anyway, so moving poor people away from their homes, won't solve anything. How would you decide who to move? Who decides who's good enough to stay in the county? No one has the right to tell people, You have to leave your home and move somewhere else, because you don't make enough money. I moved to where I did because there wasn't a huge amount of crime. I don't want your rejects "placed" in my county by people who are trying to get rid of them. If they want to move on their own, for their own reasons, then by all means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 02:09 AM

217 posts, read 752,214 times
I think Truth and Iscalder are tripping on some strong conservative republican industrial byproducts resulting in pompous and pious nose-in-the-air attitudes towards humanity as a whole.
Tax is one of the reasons the USA revolted against the British crown in the late 18th century. I keep reading suggestions of property taxes being pushed to heights that will limit the county to becoming a hopeful aristocracy.

Why should I pay exuberant property taxes for a home I own? I do not want to support the infrastructure of the rest of the state when the immediate is crumbling. This becomes a matter of stealing from the natives with plans of supplanting them. High tax rates and big houses are not the measure of one's success or self worth. File that mindset under vanity.

Once again I was labeled as a LIBERAL by Truth. Is the Hitler youth movement influence so strong up there that any opinion other than yours is to be called the worse in your mindset and kicked to the curb?
How about the word HUMAN?
I am more constitutional than either of the two standard political parties.

Am I a liberal or am I a realist? I live in the human world and am not afraid to touch it.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:47 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Upscale? In LANDOVER? That should be interesting
Why the sarcasm? Do you not think it's feasible? Or are upscale commercial areas restricted to other counties in MD?

I'm realizing that a lot of folks on this board want proof of progress...they get it...and then they mock or dismiss it.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
The outer looks like the inner. The horrid crime stats are for all P.G. county and with over 13,000 car thefts a year those criminals are getting around with no problems. If you're a respectable citizen, take care of your family and aren't a criminal, move to a surrounding jurisdiction. If that doesn't describe yourself then the outer beltway of P.G. is great! I suggest that's were you go!!!
Spoken like someone who has probably never lived or stayed in inner PG County. Are you suggesting that car thefts don't occur in other areas of MD? Many of you describe PG County as if it were some third-world country constantly afflicted with upheaval and violence!!

I also resent your statement that if you aren't a criminal stay out of inner-PG County. I'm a college educated woman on my way to law school and I live in these supposed "war zones". PLEASE step out of your sheltered box....inner PG County is not out to "get you".

Old 01-29-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessy0780 View Post
So you can generalize about people living outside the beltway, but it's not okay for others to generalize about inside the beltway? Please, I think people really need to take a driving tour of Maryland, then they'd realize that not EVERY town inside the beltway is ghetto, and not everyone outside the beltway ever thinks of themselves in terms of "arriving".
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-29-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
The next step would be to start bull-dozing and taking down most if not at least 80% of the garden style apartments. Where will the poor go? Who gives a rats patute.
I find these statements extremely sad. Where does all this hate of impoverished Blacks come from?....Not all poor Blacks are criminals.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Pg county government is pushing the lower income and criminals to Charles County,Baltimore City and County some are also mvoing to Howard and AA county. Montgomery County is handing out governement assistant like its candy so a lot of Pg county lower income families are moving to Montgomery county for the government assistant.
I really think it's sad that, for many, the solution to PG County is "pushing" poor people out. Since when has being poor become synonymous with never-ending thoughts of evil-doing? Since when is it okay to separate a group of people based on their low socio-economic status?

Moving the problem around WILL NOT SOLVE IT. How about lobbying for better education, health, housing policies, etc??...solutions that will CURE the problem rather than simply get it out of sight.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I don't know if PG is pushing out the lower income families so much as possibly the lower income families are moving up in financial status. Even if all these apartments are being torn down and renovated, people with family and friends in this area will try to stay in the area. I can't imagine that there is a mass exodus of poor people moving far from everything they know.
I agree and I don't think this is being acknowledged. Poor Blacks are "coming up" in the world. Many are becoming more educated, earning better salaries, etc. Some choose to move outside of the Beltway...some prefer to stay close to what they've always known.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Truth thinking back to your childhood and your observations as a young people would you agree or disagree with the following:

Negative youth behavior is a dominant trait and positive youth behavior is a recessive trait.

Put a good kid with a bad kid and the bad will dominate in the overwhelming majority of circumstances. Negative peer pressure overpowers positive in schools daily. Do you really want to integrate thugs into groups of positive kids for them to spread their reign of terror, intimidation and recruitment? Do you really think that will help housing values? That is part of the housing valuation problem in suburban Maryland counties now. The spreading urban thug syndrome.
I think the scenario you describe is a bit over-the-top and quite far-fetched. Yes, one apple can spoil the bunch, but do you REALLY believe that integrating low-income children (your use of the word thugs is really insulting....being poor does not make you a thug!!!) in better schools will corrupt everyone? Wow!! Your ignorance leaves me in awe.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:15 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Smile Then stay in awe please stay in awe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I think the scenario you describe is a bit over-the-top and quite far-fetched. Yes, one apple can spoil the bunch, but do you REALLY believe that integrating low-income children (your use of the word thugs is really insulting....being poor does not make you a thug!!!) in better schools will corrupt everyone? Wow!! Your ignorance leaves me in awe.
You must have never heard of peer pressure and the whole negative pressure to not act white. Do a google search on negative peer pressure and the challenge that motivated African American young people face. The documentation and discussions are plentiful. Just ask Cosby and Toussaint. I find it incredible that you are not familiar with Gangsta Rap as a music genre. Crips and Bloods are not Thug Culture? Don't snitch isn't Thug Culture?

Thug Culture - Google Search

Your questioning of my statement leaves me in awe but then at this point very little suprises me. However to suggest I am ignorant of reality is really quite laughable if you only knew. But then you won't.

As far as my scenario being far fetched you must not talk to many parents of Black teens who are successful and wanting to keep their kids on track.
negative black peer pressure - Google Search
Remembe it's 12:00 do you know where your children are? Who they are with?

shaker heights black student achievement - Google Search

Sorry but my ignorance is born of experience, reading and having a clue.

Our difference is not one of ignorance on either part but one of different perspective and choices.
Clearly I am not alone in my opinion as you need only study real estate and home values and see that there are many who share that perspective. Clearly here, there and every where the percentage of free and reduced meal students in a given school impacts home values. Please don't call those folks ignorant because they have a different perspective then you. Please feel free to associate and live your life as you wish and allow others to do the same. That is enlightment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland