U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 03-28-2011, 12:45 PM
 
81 posts, read 102,333 times
Reputation: 45

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Yes, let's take a look at the youth and African American behavior in these "black mecca" cities:

2009 High school Graduation rate in Washington D.C. - 72.3%

2009 National Average Graduation Rate - 69.2%

2009 Baltimore Graduation Rate - 66%

2009 Atlanta Graduation Rate - 69%

Atlanta Graduation Rate without dropping 30% of students off of its rolls to artificially inflate its graduation rate - 43%

2009 Maryland (29.7% African American) Graduation Rate for Black Students - 80.7%

2009 Georgia (30.2% African American) Graduation Rate for Black
Students - 72.6%

In what fantasy world does the academic achievement of Georgia Blacks outpace that of Blacks in Washington D.C. and Maryland?

DC may have higher high school graduation rates than other Black cities, however that doesn't mean the quality of life or the education for that matter is better because of it. The schools here are downright crappy, I had a friend who graduated from Ballou High School in ward 8 with a 3.95 GPA, she took the SAT and got a 550! DC teachers are known to pass people out of sympathy and not actually based on merit, PG is no better. On average, DC High school graduates actually have between a 3rd and 8th grade education.

 
Old 03-28-2011, 12:48 PM
 
81 posts, read 102,333 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
"“The key to keeping this city black is jobs, jobs, jobs for black people so they can have a better quality of life in neighborhoods in the city."

-Marion Barry


Can you imagine if Boston politician had made remarks about keeping Boston white? The double standard is disgusting. What a mentally inept little race huckster.
Before Barry came to DC, policies where in place to solely benefit Congress and the wealthy. Usually these polices where at the expense of poor people who happen to be Black because there wasn't an abundance of poor Whites in the city back then or ever.

I find it dumb that conservatives believe that everyone has an equal footing from birth and race is not accompanied with socioeconomic status, but it is in most cases. White politicians say racist crap that's actually racist. Barry's comments taken out of context may appear racist but they weren't because they were made for a specific audience who were poor and Black! Who understand bizarre rhetoric like keep the Whites out and give Black people jobs! DC has very interesting demographics, on any given block off of McArthur Blvd in upper NW the amount of assests and income the families on that one block could have could be more than what all the families have in ward 8. On average, DC High school graduates actually have between a 3rd and 8th grade education. In comparison to DC having a large population of people who possess Phd and JDs which is mostly made up of Non-Black and Non-Hispanic people.

Furthermore, statements are one thing and policies are another. He may have said those things to appease Black people, which isn't a bad thing because if the people who are the worst off have a better quality of life, that only means that everyone will have a higher quality of life as a whole. Liberal Whites understand this concept, that's why Barry is still well liked amongst all despite his pitfalls with drugs and women.
 
Old 03-28-2011, 12:51 PM
(-)
 
690 posts, read 1,005,273 times
Reputation: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viceroy of Lost Umbrellas View Post
You miss the point. Even if the other things you say are true, does it make Barry's comment not racist? I'm well aware of what is going on in Arizona and other parts of the country with respect to Hispanics. I've seen what happened in Prince William County in Virginia and I do think it is racist. However, I don't live in those places therefore my vote doesn't do anything there.

With respect to whatever jokestars has stated, surely you have a link for that? I remember his thread on buying in the Navy Yard but I don't remember him saying he didn't want to live near Black people.

I don't think that DC being mixed majority will be the cause of Marion Barry's exit from local politics. I think that Marion Barry is becoming less effective and less able to wield influence than he used to be. I think that is more of a function of the various scandals that have dogged him since the 80s. Even if he gets elected in Ward 8, I don't know that he'll have much influence in the city council.
if you are offended by his comments and you are other than black, than yes, his comments were racists if that's how you viewed them. this whole post turned into a bait post the minute someone said "if he were white..." because some of you assumed that this stuff is no longer said or thought by people. i pointed out a quite a few in your face comments with regard to the "if he were white..." comment. EVERY race has racist. i don't see what's so hard to understand about that. that does not mean that the minority equals the majority, which i believe is what the spirit of this post turned into. for the most part young black people are far removed from the struggles their parents and grandparents went through in the 50's and 60's. race relations, for them, really isn't an issue especially since the world is more open to them now more than ever before via the internet.
the people voting for barry in ward 8 aren't, for the most part, people in my demo. they are the long time older residents of ward 8 who have a personal connection to barry. that is why barry's political career will eventually fade into oblivion.
 
Old 03-28-2011, 01:00 PM
 
465 posts, read 465,719 times
Reputation: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative27 View Post
I find it dumb that conservatives believe that everyone has an equal footing from birth and race is not accompanied with socioeconomic status, but it is in most cases.
No one ever said we all have an equal footing from birth. Libertarians and conservatives believe we should all be treated equally before the law and that with hard work and drive to innovate, anyone can make it in America. And they're right. If my parents can come and make it to the upper middle class from literally a hut in a third world country, I'm not sure why you think blacks deserve special treatments.

Quote:
White politicians say racist crap that's actually racist.
And for every one that does I could find three or four black or latino ones who do as well.

Quote:
Barry's comments taken out of context may appear racist but they weren't because they were made for a specific audience who were poor and Black!
That's not what out of context means.


Quote:
Who understand bizarre rhetoric like keep the Whites out and give Black people jobs! DC has very interesting demographics, on any given block off of McArthur Blvd in upper NW the amount of assests and income the families on that one block could have could be more than what all the families have in ward 8. On average, DC High school graduates actually have between a 3rd and 8th grade education. In comparison to DC having a large population of people who possess Phd and JDs which is mostly made up of Non-Black and Non-Hispanic people.
So what's your solution? Affirmative action? More taxes and handouts?

Quote:
Liberal Whites understand this concept, that's why Barry is still well liked amongst all despite his pitfalls with drugs and women.
I haven't seen many white liberals in DC defend Barry recently.
 
Old 03-28-2011, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 2,144,160 times
Reputation: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
No one ever said we all have an equal footing from birth. Libertarians and conservatives believe we should all be treated equally before the law and that with hard work and drive to innovate, anyone can make it in America. And they're right. If my parents can come and make it to the upper middle class from literally a hut in a third world country, I'm not sure why you think blacks deserve special treatments.



And for every one that does I could find three or four black or latino ones who do as well.



That's not what out of context means.




So what's your solution? Affirmative action? More taxes and handouts?



I haven't seen many white liberals in DC defend Barry recently.

You have a lot to learn Jokestars. I am not excusing ignorant behavior and misplaced values amongst my people but to completely discount the system that has been put in place is wrong.
 
Old 03-28-2011, 02:14 PM
 
465 posts, read 465,719 times
Reputation: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
You have a lot to learn Jokestars. I am not excusing ignorant behavior and misplaced values amongst my people but to completely discount the system that has been put in place is wrong.
What system do you mean?
 
Old 03-28-2011, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 2,144,160 times
Reputation: 473
A system of schools, environments, laws, rules, that basically increase the chances that those born into impoverished families will stay poor. A media that reinforces stereotypes and successful blacks who gain their success by highlighting stereotypes that will essentially hurt their poor brethren.

The fact that blacks in America were denied the basic rights to education for so long set it place some bad precedents and cycles of mis-education. There are some people in my hometown that are still scared to look white people in their eyes. There are still some scars and many of the issues can be traced back to then. South Africa is undergoing the same problem.


However, that is not to excuse the bad behavior, foolish priorities that some in our community continue to embrace. I am not saying that massive AA programs nor welfare is the solution. I am simply saying if we want to have a convo about it, lets have an honest full scale convo. Not some media talking points bullshat. Libertarians want to believe that everyone is born with an equal opportunity when it is just isn't the case.
 
Old 03-28-2011, 02:58 PM
 
1,279 posts, read 1,373,136 times
Reputation: 533
"Liberal Whites understand this concept, that's why Barry is still well liked amongst all despite his pitfalls with drugs and women."


Are you on crack too?!?! Nobody but the hoodrats east of the river thinks of Barry in a positive light. He has them convinced that the rest of America is out to get them and he is their savior. Nevermind that his rap sheet is longer than my grocery list, he blames the 'white man' that is always out to get him.
 
Old 03-28-2011, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Springfield VA
4,033 posts, read 5,198,636 times
Reputation: 1420
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
"Liberal Whites understand this concept, that's why Barry is still well liked amongst all despite his pitfalls with drugs and women."


Are you on crack too?!?! Nobody but the hoodrats east of the river thinks of Barry in a positive light. He has them convinced that the rest of America is out to get them and he is their savior. Nevermind that his rap sheet is longer than my grocery list, he blames the 'white man' that is always out to get him.
Well to be fair no one is going around saying that he's a saint but rather pointing out that he did do some good. I think he's a joke myself but I will give him credit for knowing his constituents he usually says the things that they want to hear.
 
Old 03-28-2011, 03:55 PM
 
465 posts, read 465,719 times
Reputation: 281
Quote:
Libertarians want to believe that everyone is born with an equal opportunity when it is just isn't the case.
I don't think libertarians are saying that. No one seriously thinks everyone's born into equal circumstances. The difference is we don't think it's government's role to try to rectify that.

The way poor south-east asians have really succeeded in this country have thrown a wrench in the perpetual victimhood justifications. My uncle came here not knowing English and had only 500 bucks. He's a surgeon now.

I despise blaming racism and a sense of entitlement (not saying you think that, ahales).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:05 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top