Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:54 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
would put Olivarios up against all but the best Manhattan Italian restaurants.
There goes your credibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 08:59 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
There goes your credibility.
That's your opinion.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:03 AM

I grew up in Charleston, attended school in Morgantown, and now live in Pittsburgh.

Both cities have their perks, but I think preference really depends on where you're at in your life. Charleston is a nice city, has a downtown that is slowly becoming somewhat cosmpolitan in nature, and is an all around better place to raise a family or have a career. Morgantown is very busy for a city of its size, has plenty of cultural things to do thanks to the presence of the university, and a dining scene that is decent. Charleston's restaurants have their high points, but by an large the dining options in the city are chains for the most part and terrible.

Me personally, I'd rather live in Charleston if I had to pick between the two. Living around 30 thousand college students gets VERY old VERY quick, and Morgantown is a failed metro planning nightmare. Summers in Morgantown are nice, but the rest of the year sucks. Its not the congestion (I do live in a more heavily congested place than either city), but the age/behaviour of the population in general that turns me off to it.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
That's your opinion.
One that would be shared by 99.9% of the chefs on the planet. Its not even real Italian food, but the Americanized crap most people grew up with. You're positively high if you think that can compete with the restaurant scene in Pittsburgh, let alone Manhattan. Oliverios isn't even the best American Italian restaurant in Morgantown. The meal I had at Puglioni's in 2007 was head and shoulders above the crap I ate at Oliverios this summer. The stuff I throw together with little effort cleaning out my pantry on a whim is better than either.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
One that would be shared by 99.9% of the chefs on the planet. Its not even real Italian food, but the Americanized crap most people grew up with. You're positively high if you think that can compete with the restaurant scene in Pittsburgh, let alone Manhattan. Oliverios isn't even the best American Italian restaurant in Morgantown. The meal I had at Puglioni's in 2007 was head and shoulders above the crap I ate at Oliverios this summer. The stuff I throw together with little effort cleaning out my pantry on a whim is better than either.
Once again, that's your opinion. But, when you find some actual hard evidence get back to me. I have a different opinion.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I grew up in Charleston, attended school in Morgantown, and now live in Pittsburgh.

Both cities have their perks, but I think preference really depends on where you're at in your life. Charleston is a nice city, has a downtown that is slowly becoming somewhat cosmpolitan in nature, and is an all around better place to raise a family or have a career. Morgantown is very busy for a city of its size, has plenty of cultural things to do thanks to the presence of the university, and a dining scene that is decent. Charleston's restaurants have their high points, but by an large the dining options in the city are chains for the most part and terrible.

Me personally, I'd rather live in Charleston if I had to pick between the two. Living around 30 thousand college students gets VERY old VERY quick, and Morgantown is a failed metro planning nightmare. Summers in Morgantown are nice, but the rest of the year sucks. Its not the congestion (I do live in a more heavily congested place than either city), but the age/behaviour of the population in general that turns me off to it.
You have your opinion. I'm retired, and find living around younger folks a good thing. And, there are plenty of places to live in and around Morgantown where they aren't in your back yard. I think the availability of good eateries, concerts virtually every night (sometimes you can choose from more than one), by far the State's best athletic events, numerous programs for seniors, hiking and biking trails, and proximity to outstanding outdoor venues give Morgantown the assets that warrant the national rankings it receives as one of America's most livable towns.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:

You have your opinion. I'm retired, and find living around younger folks a good thing. And, there are plenty of places to live in and around Morgantown where they aren't in your back yard. I think the availability of good eateries, concerts virtually every night (sometimes you can choose from more than one), by far the State's best athletic events, numerous programs for seniors, hiking and biking trails, and proximity to outstanding outdoor venues give Morgantown the assets that warrant the national rankings it receives as one of America's most livable towns.

There really isn't much you can't do around here, but if you think of something an actual city is just over an hour away. Together with Martinsburg, Wheeling, and Weirton, they are the State's only towns that can say that.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:48 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times
Quote:
There really isn't much you can't do around here, but if you think of something an actual city is just over an hour away. Together with Martinsburg, Wheeling, and Weirton, they are the State's only towns that can say that.
But Charleston doesn't need to "piggy-back" off another city!

There is nothing I can think of that Charleston doesn't have some form of.

other than Nascar, a beach, and an IKEA---lol

Old 11-18-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Once again, that's your opinion. But, when you find some actual hard evidence get back to me. I have a different opinion.

Gee, if only I devoted a great deal of time, money, and energy towards making food that was better than what you can find in WV.
...oh wait, I did.

Trust me, Oliverios is great for WV food, mediocre at best for the country. I can make better italian at home without any effort makes their food look like Chef Boyardee...and I'm not even close to being the chef that many of those people are in bigger markets like NYC.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
But Charleston doesn't need to "piggy-back" off another city!

There is nothing I can think of that Charleston doesn't have some form of.

other than Nascar, a beach, and an IKEA---lol
Please. Nothing against Charleston, but the cultural and athletic events there pale in comparison, and even the eateries are for a narrower taste range. Morgantown doesn't need to piggy back for nearly anything, and what it does isn't available in Charleston, or anywhere near it. Unless you are talking about number of lawyers and politicians. Charleston wins that one hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia