Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 12:36 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Effort costs nothing, and that is all an employer expects at a Mcjob. Oner SHOULD NOT have to pay for FULL effort. One pays a premium, naturallly, for education, training, or experience.
Of course effort costs. You need calories to work hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
And why would anyone raise their kids to disrespect someone just because they have money? Well, we know it is because they are being raised in a liberal household, who teaches them to disrespect people because of money, skin color, etc...
That's is a ridiculous assertion. Liberals respect people who really earn money: firefighters, pediatric heart surgeons, teachers, mailpeople and others who work hard. But we're smart enough to teach them not to respect someone just because they have money. A Wal Mart heir or coke dealer is a slimeball not a role model just because they have a lot of money.

You remind me of the guy who was said to salute the Rothschild's chamber pot as it passed him. My kids are, luckily, being raised with more discernment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 12:42 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Then you have never done roofing if you believe that.
You're right. No one gave a damn if you had a high school diploma in roofing, good luck getting hired at Starbucks without at least that. Starbucks does require more education for an entry-level position. Neither require any particularly training or experience.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:43 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post

That's is a ridiculous assertion. Liberals respect people who really earn money: firefighters, pediatric heart surgeons, teachers, mailpeople and others who work hard. But we're smart enough to teach them not to respect someone just because they have money. A Wal Mart heir or coke dealer is a slimeball not a role model just because they have a lot of money.

You remind me of the guy who was said to salute the Rothschild's chamber pot as it passed him. My kids are, luckily, being raised with more discernment.
no it isnt, or maybe you have a hard time reading simple english, my posts were in response to the guy who was teaching his kids to not respect someone that has money.

So to you, someone that starts from poverty, works hard and forms a company and does something with him/herself didnt work hard, wow...

And again, maybe this time, which I doubt, you will understand, no one has claimed that anyone should respect someone else just because they have money.

This seems to be the difference, I teach my children to judge someone by their character and not materialistic things, I teach them that hard work pays off, not entitlement.

You remind me of most liberals that hate us because we don't believe what you tell us to believe.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:45 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
You're right. No one gave a damn if you had a high school diploma in roofing, good luck getting hired at Starbucks without at least that. Starbucks does require more education for an entry-level position. Neither require any particularly training or experience.
Except with roofing, you have math that comes into play, regulations, permits, some engineering etc...

Old 08-03-2012, 02:44 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,896 times
Bumping up requirements for manual labor and jobs anybody with a pulse can do doesn't seem like a very good move for me. Whoever's idea that deserves a few knuckles.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:07 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
We have a major obesity problem, not a lack of calories.

You need work ethic to work hard, and that is what many lack.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:29 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Quote:
no it isnt, or maybe you have a hard time reading simple english, my posts were in response to the guy who was teaching his kids to not respect someone that has money.

So to you, someone that starts from poverty, works hard and forms a company and does something with him/herself didnt work hard, wow...

And again, maybe this time, which I doubt, you will understand, no one has claimed that anyone should respect someone else just because they have money.

This seems to be the difference, I teach my children to judge someone by their character and not materialistic things, I teach them that hard work pays off, not entitlement.

You remind me of most liberals that hate us because we don't believe what you tell us to believe.
If you form a company and earn money by underpaying others thus forcing them to rely on the general public to eat, gain shelter, get access to medical care . . . why should I respect you?

I teach my kids not to respect cheap and greedy people. Maybe you should, too?

Hard work can pay off. But it's stupid to work hard for a selfish jerk when you could use that time and energy to more profitable ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
We have a major obesity problem, not a lack of calories.

You need work ethic to work hard, and that is what many lack.
Nonsense. People who are unwilling to work hard for someone who pays them very little don't lack a work ethic. They simply have the common sense to refuse to be exploited. That's the problem with many of today's employers: they expect you to work hard for very little money. Taking advantage of a bad economy does not make you a good person.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:46 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Very true, sadly.
agreed, people have to realize that companies, corporations, businesses, employers, bosses, hiring-managers, are selfish greedy people who don't care about the consumer or their employee's, only their money

Old 08-06-2012, 10:08 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,401,273 times
Quote:

Great post. If only more Americans thought as you do and stopped pandering to corporate interests, which in turn allows people to be taken advantage of.

It's not even about politics - it's about morality.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:10 AM

4 posts, read 58,087 times
I always work just as hard because hard work can result in either more pay or create really strong references when the time comes to apply for a higher paying job. That reference may make a difference in getting a future position elsewhere. After years of working for a retail company that pays similar to the amount you're listed, I have been offered a position to teach fourth graders. I've heard from coworkers about the reference my boys gave and it was damn good. Not a typical, "well she was always on time, she was responsible..." It was a reference that would make me stand out and make it hard for that principal to ignore! So the pay me be low, but hard work may lead to bigger opportunities!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment