Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 01:10 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmamally View Post
I thought I was alone, but I too can not tolerate anything with artificial sweeteners. I use to use Rolaid's as I have had ulcers since I was a child. Then Rolaid's went off the market. So I used equate or tums but found my heartburn was now replaced by terrible stomach cramps & unbearable gas. I do not want to take Zantac or any of those pills as they have been linked to bone cancer & i have already had cancer twice. I just want to be able to sleep lying down without heartburn. I pray if and when Rolaid's returns it does not include these man made poisons called artifical sweeteners. Does anyone know of a tablet form peppermint antacid with natural sugar? I don't care about getting fat as much as I want to sleep. Thank you

Have you talked to your doctor about the heartburn? Have you been tested for the bacteria associated with ulcers (h. pylori)?

Are you overweight? If so, losing weight may reduce or eliminate the reflux that happens when you lie down.

The newer medications for heartburn have good safety profiles, which is the reason some are available over the counter. I know of no association between them and bone cancer. Do you have a source for that info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 02:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
You can buy peppermint oil at many stores and take it in a small amount of water. Helps within 3-5 min.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,267 times
Sucrose is NOT sugar. It's an artificial sweetner. Just fyi. Someone posted it was sugar and that's incorrect.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzeebeutiful View Post
Sucrose is NOT sugar. It's an artificial sweetner. Just fyi. Someone posted it was sugar and that's incorrect.
Nope. Sucrose is table sugar.

Sucrose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is converted to glucose and fructose when it is digested.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,943,588 times
It's sucralose that's the artificial sweetener, which is manufactured by the selective chlorination of sucrose (table sugar)... usually marketed in yellow packaging (such as "Splenda")

Sucralose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-28-2012, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,237 times
I find that I am allergic to all artificial sweeteners. The last time I had a reaction was after drinking ice tea that was not labeled "diet" or "low sugar". I became disoriented, nauseated, had trouble walking and keeping my balance. All I could do was go to bed and sleep it off. I felt as if I had been poisoned. Because the label did not indicate "diet" or "sugar free" I had assumed it was ok for me to consume. The ingredients listed on the label included something I had not heard of and I'm assuming it is an artificial sweetener. It is very frustrating because now I must read ALL labels for ingredients. Artificial sweeteners are also in things such as toothpaste, mouthwash, cough syrup, hot chocolate mixes, and many juices not labeled as "diet" or "sugar free". When having a beverage out, I always ask if it contains artificial sweeteners, or I just stick with water. I would like to know why my body reacts as it does to artificial sweeteners. I also think products need to be labeled as containing artificial sweeteners, much like those containing peanuts do. I'm not sure about Stevia. I tasted it, but it does taste like other artificial sweeteners, so I'm reluctant to use it.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:37 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Have any of you tried Nectresse (sp?)? I'm curious how it tastes?

Old 02-27-2013, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,159 times
I am actually allergic to it. But unlike you I cannot have it at all. If I eat just a little bit of it I go into anaphylaxis shock. I stop breathing, I have to carry an epi-pen with me at all times and have to have a medical alert bracelet on at all times...

Old 02-27-2013, 01:37 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,758 times
I recently discovered there is only one artificial sweetener that doesn't make me sick: Swerve. I had to order it via mail because I couldn't find it in any grocery store anywhere.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I recently discovered there is only one artificial sweetener that doesn't make me sick: Swerve. I had to order it via mail because I couldn't find it in any grocery store anywhere.
Swerve is erythritol. It is a sugar alcohol. Be aware that too much can cause intestinal problems:

Erythritol Toxicity | LIVESTRONG.COM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies