Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 08:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times

Advertisements

From the National Safety Council:

Speed is involved in about one out of three fatal crashes, according to NHTSA. It is the third leading contributing factor to traffic crashes. But while injuries and fatalities due to other dangerous behaviors, such as driving while impaired and not wearing seatbelts, have been significantly reduced, speeding is still a challenge.

NHTSA defines a crash as speeding-related if the driver was charged with a speeding-related offense or if an officer indicated that racing, driving too fast for conditions, or exceeding the posted speed limit contributed to the crash.
Surveys find that although people name speeding as a threat to their safety when other drivers around them are speeding, the majority say they also speed when driving. There are many reasons why people speed. According to Focus on Safety: A Practical Guide to Automated Traffic Enforcement, drivers speed because:
  • They’re in a hurry.
  • They’re inattentive to their driving.
  • They don’t take traffic laws seriously; they don’t think the laws apply to them.
  • They don’t view their driving behavior as dangerous.
  • They don’t expect to get caught.
  • Some or all of the above.
Speeding results in:
  • Lives lost – over 13,000 each year.
  • Work zone crashes and fatalities – speed was a factor in 27 percent of fatal crashes in construction and maintenance zones in 2005.
  • Unsafe school zones – compliance with lower speed limits is poor.
Economic costs -- speed-related crashes cost society over $40 billion annually, according to NHTSA. Every minute "gained" by speeding to a destination costs U.S. society over $76,000.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:02 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Who the heck drives the speed limit? They set those artificially low to begin with, either to make it easier to write tickets or because they figure 99% of drivers will be going 5-10 mph over the limit anyway.
I know, right? Around here, even the COPS expect you to go 5-10mph above, and rarely will pull you over for going under 75-80mph in a 65 zone. Once I had a cop behind me on a single-lane road in SF, and instinctively slowed down to the speed limit... he started to tailgate me almost immediately, then (as I saw in my rear-view mirror) gave me the "C'mon, lady!!" arm motions. I sped up, he backed off and gave me a "thanks" wave.

That being said, I try not to tailgate if possible - but if you are creeping along at 65 in the left/passing lane, it's hard to keep that full 2+ car-length of distance between us (especially when the cars behind ME are quickly approaching). We have major issues with left-lane hogs here, so it can get frustrating when they won't move aside.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:37 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
WHAT ABOUT WHEN I AM RIDING ON A SINGLE LANE ROAD???? Am I supposed to pull over then? Because that is my problem 99% of the time when I am being tailgated by someone who wants to go 10 mph or more over the speed limit. I do NOT linger in the fast lane of multiple-lane roads. I never drive under the speed limit unless conditions call for it.

I am driving on single-lane highways 99% of the time. And I am plagued by speeders who are pushing me, sitting on my bumper, flashing their lights at me, demanding that I disobey the law. Am I supposed to pull over on the berm? Am I supposed to sit there are wait until you pass me, throwing dust and gravel onto my car because you are behind me 365 days of the year speeding your children to the hospital? Huh?? Am I supposed to drive 10+ miles over the speed limit to "reduce conflict in YOUR LIFE?" How much will be enough? 70 on a 45 mph road? Do I have to go 50 in a residential neighborhood? How much is enough for you and your bleeding children?
It's not your problem, it's theirs. The world is full of A-holes, what're ya gonna do.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:46 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,977 times
Quote:
Who the heck drives the speed limit? They set those artificially low to begin with, either to make it easier to write tickets or because they figure 99% of drivers will be going 5-10 mph over the limit anyway.
That's not true. Speed limits are set by 1) Horizontal and vertical curve geometry 2) Coefficient of friction between the tire of a DOT design vehicle tire and roadway tack coats 3) Stopping sight distance 4) Population density

For me personally I drive at or close to the speed limit because I'm almost never in a hurry, I like to save gas and I like to just cruise along and jam out to my CD player. If I'm on a 4 lane highway I always stay to the right unless I'm passing a truck going up a steep grade. If I'm on a 2 lane highway and you want to pass, go ufck yourself, it's up to you to take the risk and go around.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:46 PM

794 posts, read 819,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Oh, YOU'RE one of those craziess that neighbors complain about zoomie zooming through their neighborhoods when they're working on getting speed control devices installed! Wondered who that was.

You've just proven that your analysis of what a safe speed is is WAY out of whack.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:41 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,208,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
In case anyone didnt notice the LIMIT is the LIMIT not a suggestion. Why do people ride peoples *** that do the limit? I am not going to risk getting a ticket just because YOU didnt leave 5 minutes earlier for your crappy job.
lol, we do this in Cali and we do it hella hard. The reasons why we do this is because:

1) There's hella traffic here, so us drivers are used to driving close to one another. Also, we don't want drivers to our sides to cut us off and get in front of us.

2) I noticed that the people who get tail gated the worst are the people who are doing the speed limit IN THE FAST LANE. I mean it's fine and dandy that you want to obey the law, but there's 90 percent of people who choose not to and it's not up to you to hold traffic back. Do the courtesy and move over to a slower lane. Even though you're in the right by law, its not worth pissing people off. I personally never tailgate people that are in the appropriate lanes (slow lanes) because I have no time to follow someone that is going slower than I want to; therefore, I switch lanes and get into a faster lane. AIN'T NOBODY GOT THAT FOR THAT!!!!

Old 05-28-2014, 04:25 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
And the most obvious answer: perhaps the speed limit is inappropriate for the design & conditions of the road?

Old 05-28-2014, 05:14 AM

790 posts, read 1,268,582 times
Quote:
LOL thats like saying " who the heck doesnt shoot people for fun" its the LAW and its set by engineers that determined that the speed is the safest for that certain roadway. Just because you THINK you are a racecar driver doesnt make it so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
And the most obvious answer: perhaps the speed limit is inappropriate for the design & conditions of the road?
Gee well who made you head engineer? Oh thats right you arent one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizo916 View Post
lol, we do this in Cali and we do it hella hard. The reasons why we do this is because:

1) There's hella
"hella" = instadouche.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:46 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizo916 View Post
Also, we don't want drivers to our sides to cut us off and get in front of us.
Wow.

Sucks to be you.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:03 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
From the National Safety Council:

Speed is involved in about one out of three fatal crashes, according to NHTSA. It is the third leading contributing factor to traffic crashes. But while injuries and fatalities due to other dangerous behaviors, such as driving while impaired and not wearing seatbelts, have been significantly reduced, speeding is still a challenge.

NHTSA defines a crash as speeding-related if the driver was charged with a speeding-related offense or if an officer indicated that racing, driving too fast for conditions, or exceeding the posted speed limit contributed to the crash.
Surveys find that although people name speeding as a threat to their safety when other drivers around them are speeding, the majority say they also speed when driving. There are many reasons why people speed. According to Focus on Safety: A Practical Guide to Automated Traffic Enforcement, drivers speed because:
  • They’re in a hurry.
  • They’re inattentive to their driving.
  • They don’t take traffic laws seriously; they don’t think the laws apply to them.
  • They don’t view their driving behavior as dangerous.
  • They don’t expect to get caught.
  • Some or all of the above.
Speeding results in:
  • Lives lost – over 13,000 each year.
  • Work zone crashes and fatalities – speed was a factor in 27 percent of fatal crashes in construction and maintenance zones in 2005.
  • Unsafe school zones – compliance with lower speed limits is poor.
Economic costs -- speed-related crashes cost society over $40 billion annually, according to NHTSA. Every minute "gained" by speeding to a destination costs U.S. society over $76,000.
It says "contributing factor" not cause. Then it says "results". It's one or the other, not both. "Speeding related" later on seems to confirm that it is only a "contributing factor" and not the cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive