Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2016, 09:25 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times

Advertisements

I am just starting "So far away " by Meg Mitchell Moore .So far it seems to be a good book but I bought it at the library . I like to support my library because so little of our taxes go to the library anymore but so many people use it . So if toss 5 .00 to the library maybe another kid can get a good book .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 09:29 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default Grafton on his charger

Just finished

The art of war / Stephen Coonts. c2016, St. Martin's Press.

Subjects
Summary
  • "The Chinese dragon is flexing its muscles. As its military begins to prey on neighbors in the South China Sea, attacking fishing vessels and scheming to seize natural resources, the US goes on high alert.
Length
  • 337 pages ;
Coonts does a nice job, very reliable. A military techno-thriller, with sidelights on the maneuvering that takes place among CIA, FBI, Navy, Pentagon, White House, Congress & the usual suspects under crisis conditions. Also available in Large Type, & there's also an electronic file - I haven't looked @ it.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:31 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I read about 50 pages of A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick, but no. It's not going to work for me. Interesting premise, dreadful writing. I have Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick and The Dinner by Herman Koch on the nightstand. Coming by mail are Wesley the Owl, Jamrach's Menagerie and The Wolf's Hour, all recommended on here. Not sure which I'll pick up first.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:28 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I read about 50 pages of A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick, but no. It's not going to work for me. Interesting premise, dreadful writing. I have Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick and The Dinner by Herman Koch on the nightstand. Coming by mail are Wesley the Owl, Jamrach's Menagerie and The Wolf's Hour, all recommended on here. Not sure which I'll pick up first.
I'll skip Reliable Wife. It's on my TR list. Hope you like The Dinner as much as I did. There was an in depth discussion about it on this thread. Also read Summer House with Swimming Pool by Koch and liked it as well. Koch's next translated book will be released in the fall.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

Marlow his book "out to wonderland is so much better than the one you started to read .

Old 05-02-2016, 04:04 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I'm reading This Perfect Day: A Novel by Ira Levin.

It's dystopian and I think you might like it, Netwit, if you have not already read it.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:53 PM

Just finished So Far away by Meg Mitchell Moore and it was a nice read and I liked it .

Old 05-02-2016, 06:03 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
I've finished Shelter by Jung Yen. A terrible crime forces a Korean American family to confront difficult past events. It's a somber book with an unexpected twist at the end. It reminded me of Everything I Never Told You.Another debut novel I really liked. A young writer to watch in the future.

I liked the 641 to Paris and was satisfied with the ending.

Anna and the Swallow Man a debut novel by Gabriel Savit is set in 1939 Krakow when the Nazis were intent on eradicating the Polish intellectual class. It does not particularly focus on Nazi brutalism. I did not realize it was listed as a children's book. I believe many adults may like this book. Excellent story line (some suspension of belief), character development and writing.

The Blue Guitar by John Banville. I found it tedious, but it was only 200 pages so I finished.

[b]The Tremor of Forgery.[/B The first book I've read by Patricia Highsmith and was touted as Highsmith's best book. I believed it to be a mystery. Nothing mysterious never happened.

Negrolandby Margo Jefferson. In 1960's Chicago, Jefferson's family were members of Chicago's black upper class. She refers to her lifestyle as living in "Negroland." Although she was afforded many opportunities, she was always conscious of presenting herself to the world as a well, spoken bright person. Like Jackie Robinson and Marion Anderson she felt responsible for "advancing the race." I thought this a very interesting book.

The Borrower by Rebecca Makai. It held my interest up to the middle, then dragged.

The Widow by Fiona Barton. Another Gone Girl wanna be. It was very predictable.

I'm now reading Homecoming by Bernard Schlink and so far liking it very much.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:48 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Somehow I have managed to find myself reading 3 at once. They are My Name is Lucy Barton, Dear Mr. You and Bridget Jones Mad About the Boy. Enjoying the 1st, the 2nd I am telling myself is fiction because if I don't it is just so ugh, and the 3rd is fine, haven't decided if I like it or not.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:26 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Somehow I have managed to find myself reading 3 at once. They are My Name is Lucy Barton, Dear Mr. You and Bridget Jones Mad About the Boy. Enjoying the 1st, the 2nd I am telling myself is fiction because if I don't it is just so ugh, and the 3rd is fine, haven't decided if I like it or not.
Finished Lucy Barton and I really enjoyed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books